The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wife Surprised me With a New '19 PPL2. Few Suspension ?s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hope everyone is having an over the top Monday.

I have been talking about an Oxford white Performance Pack Level 2 to my wife since they came out and low and behold my wife surprised me with one last week. Only option was the active exhaust besides the PPL2 and required 301A package. I have already ordered some ZL1Addons rockguards, Steeda jacking rails, and did a light ceramic tint on the windows.

First off sorry for some of the newbie questions. I have done many searches but some of the answers I have found were a little hazy. I have not owned any Mustang since my Foxbody cars so this all very new to me. Everything I have owned has been between 65 and 93 Mustang wise.

So I have a huge list of stuff I would like to do to the new car. Most items will be suspension and safety wise to make the car a little more track/aggressive street worthy. Including but not limited to rear end cooler, Watson Cage and 5 points, possibly some seats, camber plates, maybe some springs, bushings and related chassis items that help positively locate the rear end. Maybe a few engine blocks here and there if I don't like the typewriter tick all these cars seem to be coming with:D

The car will maybe see 2500 miles a year. And with any luck one to three track days a year as well. I am in no hurry to get everything done at once and just want to make sure I put the best parts on for my money.

I am going to order some camber plates this week with a few other items. I have done numerous searches on what people like and it sounds like MM or Vorshlag is the way to go but I would love to hear any other ideas out there and why (Steeda, J&M, etc).

* The Vorshlag units look really nice, but what do they really offer over the MM set up or others out there? They are double the price but are they twice as good? I like high quality goods and if they really offer more I am willing to spend the money. I have had three full MM Foxbodies I built and they were great but I'm always open to new stuff.

*I am considering doing some springs, but it sits so low already I'm not sure I want to do it or not. However, if I am doing plates I might as well knock out the springs too. Ride quality is NOT a concern for me as the car is just a weekender and should see very few if any longer trips. If I do move forward with springs, what is the best track/aggressive street oriented Magneride spring out there? I keep seeing the BMR mentioned as it is a linear spring and very popular. I am not considering springs to be slammed or for looks as I just want the best handling spring whatever that may be for the PPL2. I am definitely a form follows function guy and if it doesn't help the car function better, I am not really interested. I was between the Steeda Ultimate handling Mag spring, Ford Perfromance and the BMR. The BMR being the only linear spring. All three seem to lower the car about .75 of an inch which would be good since this car is so low already.

*What would be the best camber settings for a car that sees street and a little track use? Is changing the settings fairly easy on this car without upsetting anything else? Are plates these days low tolerance enough that I can just have two settings and go back and forth without having an alignment done each time? Again, the car will not see very many miles a year and will be on the factory 305 Sport Cup 2s even for the street. However, I also don't want to blow through those expensive tires in 1500 miles running a more radical camber setup if I don't need to. Can I get away with 2 to 3 degrees on a car that will be mostly on street without excessive tire wear?

*Will I need some sort of camber kit for the rear if lowered or not lowered?

Thanks again for all the help and input.

Last edited:
I would hold off on lowering the car since the PP2 offers a lot of grip right from the factory. Maybe take it out for a couple of events and explore the limits. Then you have a solid baseline.

Not the answer I was looking for as this is a car forum and you are supposed to tell me and go out and spend 1000s upon 1000s of dollars to get my car where I am not embarrassed about taking it out in the daylight. :D

It may be some time before I take it to the track (maybe six months or more) so I guess I was looking for winter projects. I know I will eventually want more camber so if I am going to go to the work of pulling apart the suspension I might as well delve in to the springs at the same time.

Last edited:
Ok then, you could get this:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5490-G

This includes the springs and sway bars that Ford Performance recommends to improve the handling of PP2 cars. Although this shows as a GT350 package, FP makes mention of this in a kit designed to bring a PP1 up to PP2 performance. Read the description here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

For sure you want to go with Camber Plates (I recommend MM) and include a new set of fasteners for good measure.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR3-FASTENA

This way, you get to spend some cash and have a project. You also have springs and sway bars engineered to improve what you already have.

6 months is enough time for a DOT 4 brake fluid flush/fill, stainless braided lines, track pads, and maybe cooling ducts if it doesn't already have them.

Mgw shifter, catch can, helmet, shift knob, extended wheels studs, spacers, lug nuts, front splitter, perhaps an auto-blip, and some oil pressure and coolant temp gauges?

Those are all little projects that will add up to things you will need/want eventually.

Don't forget a NASA membership.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on the new ride, that's quite a nice surprise! The Vorshlag camber plates are very nice pieces, some of the best out there in my opinion. In our experience, the Ground Control and Vorshlag plates offer the most negative camber to be achieved compared to other companies.

The factory springs work well, but a set from Ford Performance or BMR is not a bad idea while you're in there doing the plates. For camber, -2.5* or just a tad more is a good sweet spot on a dual purpose car. Make sure the front toe is set at zero or even slightly in and you won't have any bad tire wear.

As always, let me know if you want to drop some rotating mass and grab some new wheels!

- Cory

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Frankly Big Taco is correct , and I would take it even a step further since your last Mustang was a Fox Body. Get a set of M&M Camber plates ( Optimum Performance - sidebar Sponsor has them) since they are reasonable and I even know some guys at Ford who use them. After that, go to the track ( once you get 1200-1500 miles on the car ) , and when you want to spend money do it initially on better brake pads, Motul 600 or equivalent fluid, lighter rims that you can run square ( Apex for example), and a second set of tires . You will have plenty of fun hence you likely will need a second set of MPSC2s or equivalent. Just spend year one getting to know the car ,it will amaze you, and then make an educated guess on what works best for your driving style and the new car. Jumping into a bunch of mods before you drive the car on a road course, is akin to buying a knife and a fork to eat a new bowl of soup. You may not need those items at all. Personal suggestion from some friends at Corporate, keep the rpms reasonable ( say under 4000 ) for the first 500 miles and change the oil around 500-700 miles -- tight motor and that essentially flushes the system.

We sold 8 of these beauties and you are going to have a second love affair after the first one with your wife--- who we have all decided must be extremely nice , along with beautiful in all ways, since she she got you one of only 1500 special Stands?!

Your new friend, Oxford White Boss 302S #018

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My GT350 almost matched yours, initial looks wise, and yours sure is a beauty! The PP2 just looks killer in solid white!!!

Having had a couple of Cobras, then a couple of Bosses, before I got my GT 350, I would learn to drive the car and leave almost everything alone -- your Magnaride suspension is going to blow you away. With virtually no mods I was running with most of the Boss S models in the 350 last year. Granted yours is not a GT 350, but frankly after driving one after we sold it, your PP2 translates to simply GT 350 Lite. You will surprise a lot of folks with her. I sold mine because I wanted to go back to door to door racing , but there are days I miss the current body Mustang!!!

Last edited:
Post pics!

Also, give me the secret to making my wife happy enough to go out and purchase my next race car...

We are a good team and have been married almost 17 years.

When we got married, my father stood up in front of everyone during the dinner and said,

"Son, there are two phrases you must remember for a happy marriage; yes dear and I'm sorry."

Seems to be working.

Being a little biased as the designer of our S550 camber plate, I'll say that you should enjoy the rattle free design using huge bearings and buy the Vorshlag plates.

Aside from that, the PP2 comes with a lot of performance right out of the gate. Get some track pads and fluid, maybe watch the brake temps to see if you need to add better ducting, and keep fresh tires on it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Congrats on the new car and don't worry about the 1st post. We will help you spend your money. @Grant 302 seems to have a running tab of OPM he has spent. HAHA
Speak to @Grant 302 about spending $$$ - His assistance in priceless... or is it?

Great looking ride and beautiful wife (sight unseen)

Thanks for the mention, guys, but I think BT had most of it covered only followed by good suggestions. Drive first and mod later. foxcoupefan will learn how we try to spend OPM wisely...and tailored to individual wants and needs. No need for cookie cutter answers like everywhere else.

First off sorry for some of the newbie questions.
Welcome to TMO, @foxcoupefan. And you never have to worry or apologize for that here. Nor do you have to worry about the 'do a search on that' crowd. :)

6 months is enough time for a DOT 4 brake fluid flush/fill, stainless braided lines, track pads, and maybe cooling ducts if it doesn't already have them.

Mgw shifter, catch can, helmet, shift knob, extended wheels studs, spacers, lug nuts, front splitter, perhaps an auto-blip, and some oil pressure and coolant temp gauges?

Those are all little projects that will add up to things you will need/want eventually.

Don't forget a NASA membership.

Nice thing about the PPL2 is it is 305 squared, has factory auto blip, bitchen front splitter with verified down force of 24lbs at 80mph. Pretty set up already but yes, there is always more I want to do!

TMO Supporting Vendors