The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Will installing a bolt in roll bar hurt resale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
So I was all set to order the new roll cage from Watson Racing which 6 point.

I was speaking to a friend who is going to help with the install and he got me thinking. He said "you know there is no going back if you want this in since we have to "drill".

Of course that got me thinking. Will installing a roll bar hurt resale down the road?

Does anyone make a good 6 point roll cage with side bars that are removable to make it more convenient for street use?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

If you're driving your Boss on track and feel the need for a roll bar, like many of us, it's pointless to worry about resale value. I'm sure your family would agree your safety is worth much more than any resale value hit your Boss would take drilling a few holes in it.

Regardless drilling a few holes that aren't visible won't hurt the resale value if they can't be seen. I'd be more worried about cutting up panels and such than drilling a few holes. Beside smashing up your Boss on track is going to hurt the resale value a lot more than drilling holes.

If your thinking about installing a roll bar and worrieing about some small holes, than your installing it for all the wrong reasons. If your thinking that this car will be a huge collector and worth the big dollars like the 69/70 boss your wrong. It will hold good money but not what your thinking. There are so many people these days that are thinking the same. 25+ years from now there will be many of these cars for sale. The best advise I can give you is to install and do what ever you want to your Boss and DONT worrie about it. The Boss has SO much to offer and will fullfill every moment of that while your driving her.
Even if you want to install a roll bar just for looks. Do it!! As stated up top. You can weld holes closed. If you dont enjoy your car in what ever way you chose, then its a waste of your hard earned money and time.
Life is short.....Play hard and DONT look back.
I say install that bar for just the bad ass look of it. And God forbid anything happens like a roll over. You will more than likey walk away from it.
Thats exactly what I did and have ZERO regreats. Post some pictures after you have come to your senses.......LOL Just kidding.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Good advice guys! Makes perfect sense and all the above posts are spot on. I agree 100%. Thanks.

What is a good bar. Does anyone make one with removable side impact bars for convenience?

thanks.

Watson and Cooltech are both popular 4-point bars. Haven't seen one with removable side bars.

I have the Cooltech and am very pleased with it -- it ties together the 2 rear strut towers.

This is a good link to the install:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5376.msg81678#msg81678

I love my Cool Tech!

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss-302-parts-accessories/29-boss-roll-bar-from-cool-tech-llc.html#/powdercoat_options-satin_black

REAL 1 said:
Good advice guys! Makes perfect sense and all the above posts are spot on. I agree 100%. Thanks.

What is a good bar. Does anyone make one with removable side impact bars for convenience?

thanks.

Why would you want side bars? They are not required unless you're going 9.99's or in a convertible. I had sidebars. I was involved in a terrible accident on the street with a drunk driver. The hoop, most likely saved out lives. The side bar only broke my ribs. IMO The roll bar is a good idea but the side bars are not in a street car. Even if you get a removable side bar, you will have a chunk of steel protruding (The female to receive the end o the side bar.) when the side bar is not installed. You will hit it occasionally when getting in or out of the car. As for resale, If it's a clean install and left in the car it could be a plus.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
seca954 said:
Why would you want side bars? They are not required unless you're going 9.99's or in a convertible. I had sidebars. I was involved in a terrible accident on the street with a drunk driver. The hoop, most likely saved out lives. The side bar only broke my ribs. IMO The roll bar is a good idea but the side bars are not in a street car. Even if you get a removable side bar, you will have a chunk of steel protruding (The female to receive the end o the side bar.) when the side bar is not installed. You will hit it occasionally when getting in or out of the car. As for resale, If it's a clean install and left in the car it could be a plus.

SECA

Not to dig up an old wound..... But.

Did you have recaros or a race like seat when you received the rib injury?

Curious if the bars were pushed in to your rig cage or if you slid sideways and impacted the bar. I assume a race style seat would contain a person more firmly in a side impact reducing chances of the rib injury mentioned.

Are side bars and a proper racing seat something that should be installed together? I have a four point now.

Again, sorry to hear about the ribs. I have torn cartilage on my ribs, never broke them. Only hurts if you have to breath.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Depends.

The simple answer is: Yes. For most buyers, I think the roll bar would not add value.

But in the case of a buyer who wants the bar for track use it should add value. When I was looking at buying Andy's boss for track use, having the Cooltech bar already installed was a big plus to me.

I know you got your info but just have to chime in here. A roll bar is one items you buy but never want to use. If the need was there it might save your own resale value. If you are not around, resale value is the least of your worries. Now my rant, who cares about resale value I am having a blast driving and tracking my Boss. Any car is a poor financial investment but a great investment in smiles.

Tulsa, OK
BossLS said:
I know you got your info but just have to chime in here. A roll bar is one items you buy but never want to use. If the need was there it might save your own resale value. If you are not around, resale value is the least of your worries. Now my rant, who cares about resale value I am having a blast driving and tracking my Boss. Any car is a poor financial investment but a great investment in smiles.

Was about to say something about "your resale value" as well. ;) Good post

TMSBOSS said:
SECA

Not to dig up an old wound..... But.

Did you have recaros or a race like seat when you received the rib injury?

Curious if the bars were pushed in to your rig cage or if you slid sideways and impacted the bar. I assume a race style seat would contain a person more firmly in a side impact reducing chances of the rib injury mentioned.

Are side bars and a proper racing seat something that should be installed together? I have a four point now.

Again, sorry to hear about the ribs. I have torn cartilage on my ribs, never broke them. Only hurts if you have to breath.

The car had stock 94 Mustang seats. You brought up a good point. I never thought about how a wrap around seat like a Recaro might have kept me off the side bar. I think I was slammed into it and of course I had no padding on it. That was my ignorance at the time. I don't think a race seat is required with a roll bar or with a harness. To be NHRA legal though, once you install a roll bar you must have a five point harness. Even if your car isn't fast enough to require a roll bar.

Hey Roadhouse, I love that picture. Seeing daylight under the left front tire. Pushing it a little weren't you?

Tulsa, OK
BossLS said:
Hey Roadhouse, I love that picture. Seeing daylight under the left front tire. Pushing it a little weren't you?

Thanks man! Ha...yeah I was pushing it there. And I'm sure I went off track soon after that ::)

I have the Cooltech LLC Rollbar and had an optional cross brace added, it is super, had it done gunmetal gray to match the BOSS stripes.
I agree run what you brung and have fun with it.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
To the earlier question about removable side bars, maximum motorsports does have those. I like the Watson bar over the MM one from what I've seen, and I'm happy with a 4-pt. if anyone wants to do the group order (2 or more) on the Watson please let me know! I would like to order mine in the near term.

TMO Supporting Vendors