The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Will installing a bolt in roll bar hurt resale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I talked to Patrick today. Send me a PM if you're interested in a roll bar.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
As I begin to track this great car more and more, safety becomes a greater concern. I am a rookie and may always be a rookie but the more I drive on the track the more I think about belts and a roll bar. Still, I need a solution that allows me to take my wife and 9 year old daughter to shows. Sorry for jumping this thread but I am looking for some suggestions. I would like an option that will allow me to put in a five or six point harness belt in standard boss seats with either a harness bar or an easily removed roll bar. These are the belts I like but am far from an expert in whether they're any good enough.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss-302-parts-accessories/75-3-single-seat-6-pt-harness-kit.html

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
As I begin to track this great car more and more, safety becomes a greater concern. I am a rookie and may always be a rookie but the more I drive on the track the more I think about belts and a roll bar. Still, I need a solution that allows me to take my wife and 9 year old daughter to shows. Sorry for jumping this thread but I am looking for some suggestions. I would like an option that will allow me to put in a five or six point harness belt in standard boss seats with either a harness bar or an easily removed roll bar. These are the belts I like but am far from an expert in whether they're any good enough.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-boss-302-parts-accessories/75-3-single-seat-6-pt-harness-kit.html

I have the Watson bolt in and out bar with the cooltech belts.

Yes, you can retain both sets of belts 3 point originals and 6 point. Set one aside and get in. That simple.

Safety is very important because you just never know. Myself I will never be a race car driver but I have so much fun driving my Boss as it should be. When I street drive I just push the harness aside and use the factory belt. When on the track the real great part of the harness is how you stay in the seat and are a better driver. The roll bar and harness is the best addition I could make. Just make sure you close the door before you strap in or you won't be able to reach the door. Done it many times.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Just make sure you close the door before you strap in or you won't be able to reach the door. Done it many times.
[/quote]

Been there....

Had to erase it from the Video!!

I looked like a turtle on its back. LOL.

Just once though...... ;D

BossLS said:
The roll bar and harness is the best addition I could make. Just make sure you close the door before you strap in or you won't be able to reach the door. Done it many times.
LOL I've done that many times as well. The roll bar and harnesses, along with a Hans device, are some of my favorite mods as well. I'll never be a race car driver but those additions make it feel like I'm driving a race car. ;D

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
TMSBOSS said:
I have the Watson bolt in and out bar with the cooltech belts.

Yes, you can retain both sets of belts 3 point originals and 6 point. Set one aside and get in. That simple.

Thanks TMS. Did you put in the Watson Bolt-in yourself and if so, to what degree of difficulty was it? Also, did it require you to remove the rear seats? I'm trying to avoid this if at all possible.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
Thanks TMS. Did you put in the Watson Bolt-in yourself and if so, to what degree of difficulty was it? Also, did it require you to remove the rear seats? I'm trying to avoid this if at all possible.
Yes I installed myself.

Yes you do have to remove the rear seats. Seats bottom is removed by releasing two latches, the seat backs have 3 bolts.

Check the Watson site. I believe they have a good description of what is required.

I also purchased the seat delete kit from Watson. Nice kit.

Once the mounting plates are installed its a simple process to convert. Other have posted that its less than an hour to swap. Mine is still installed. Cant verify time required. I cant imaging it taking an hour.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
TMSBOSS said:
Yes I installed myself.

Yes you do have to remove the rear seats. Seats bottom is removed by releasing two latches, the seat backs have 3 bolts.

Check the Watson site. I believe they have a good description of what is required.

I also purchased the seat delete kit from Watson. Nice kit.

Once the mounting plates are installed its a simple process to convert. Other have posted that its less than an hour to swap. Mine is still installed. Cant verify time required. I cant imaging it taking an hour.

May seem like a silly question but after you did the rear seat delete are you able to put the seats back in with relative ease? I could leave the wife home and just take my daughter with me to the shows but that could be big trouble for me so I'll need to have that seat in the back.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
May seem like a silly question but after you did the rear seat delete are you able to put the seats back in with relative ease? I could leave the wife home and just take my daughter with me to the shows but that could be big trouble for me so I'll need to have that seat in the back.

I believe the removal of the bar and install of seats would take less than an hours. Common hand tools once the bar is installed. Remove 16 bolts from bar mount, 2 bolts holding bar together, separate bar and remove.

Bar initial install can take the better part of a day with the proper tools.

Watson site is a good source for details.

I have the Waston Bar and Love it. However...there is no way in Heck that I would even think about removing it just so someone could ride in the back seat. It's just not that easy. It is removeable but takes quite some time and then you still have the install of the rear seats. For me thats just out of the question. If you do install one by yourself, you will than understand all the work you will have to do every time. One tip that I can offer is: If you do want to go this route and plan on installing the bar and removing it. Do not install the side pannels and rear seat delete. The side pannels are a bear to get back in once the bar is in place. Then it may not be so bad. Unless you want to restore the full rear seat interior. Good luck on which ever way you chose. I think the best thing for you is to be part of an installition on someones eles car. this will help you make a final choice....As for the Waston Bar. It's top quality and worth every penny in hope youll never need it to preform.

superhero said:
I have the Waston Bar and Love it. However...there is no way in Heck that I would even think about removing it just so someone could ride in the back seat. It's just not that easy. It is removeable but takes quite some time and then you still have the install of the rear seats. For me thats just out of the question. If you do install one by yourself, you will than understand all the work you will have to do every time. One tip that I can offer is: If you do want to go this route and plan on installing the bar and removing it. Do not install the side pannels and rear seat delete. The side pannels are a bear to get back in once the bar is in place. Then it may not be so bad. Unless you want to restore the full rear seat interior. Good luck on which ever way you chose. I think the best thing for you is to be part of an installition on someones eles car. this will help you make a final choice....As for the Waston Bar. It's top quality and worth every penny in hope youll never need it to preform.

As long as you cut out a hole large enough on the side panels to allow removal of the bar without needing to remove the side panels, the removal and replacement of the seats is simple, can be done with one person, and takes less than an hour. I've done it at least a few times.

TMO Supporting Vendors