The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Will we need a tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok so the kooks exhaust post got me to thinking. I called Accufab the other day and you do not need a tune for the throttle body. You also don't need a tune with the Airaid CF intake, and now you don't need a tune with full exhaust. So do you guy think it's possible to run all 3 without a tune?

Sure anything is possible. ;) Seriously I would think it would work but not sure how they will work in unison. The A/F mixture would be my concern. If the three bolt-ons lean out the mixture too much you'll have problems.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The only absolute reasons you need a tune for the coyote/road runner engines is if
1) you change the size of the mass air sampling tube ie Steeda CAI or
2) you use forced induction

The mass air, knock and wide band O2 sensors will adjust fuel and spark to keep idle, cruise and wot trims within safe ranges and give you additional performance.

That being said a tune enables the adjustment of total spark advance, fuel trim fine tuning, fue octane optimizing, torque management reduction or removal, speed limiter adjustment or removal, tire size and axle ratio adjustments and finally free warranty removal.

I have run a Brenspeed tune since 400 miles due to my Steeda CAI and have updated it for use with the Boss manifold. No problems and the car changed night and day in performance (364 - 407 hp) and throttle response. I just completed my ARH header install and called for a tune update and was told that none was needed for the headers and I should see 30-35 hp with my current mod/tune. Hope that's the case, will be getting dyno done over the holiday week and will report.

Steve

95blitz said:
I was hoping by now that Ford would make a computer system that can adjust for bolt-ons.

It's my understanding that Ford does adjust A/F.
I too am interested in hearing more about a 3-way mod. on Track key, i.e., Kooks/CAI/TBody.
Anyone tried it?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
The only absolute reasons you need a tune for the coyote/road runner engines is if
1) you change the size of the mass air sampling tube ie Steeda CAI or
2) you use forced induction

The mass air, knock and wide band O2 sensors will adjust fuel and spark to keep idle, cruise and wot trims within safe ranges and give you additional performance.

That being said a tune enables the adjustment of total spark advance, fuel trim fine tuning, fue octane optimizing, torque management reduction or removal, speed limiter adjustment or removal, tire size and axle ratio adjustments and finally free warranty removal.

I have run a Brenspeed tune since 400 miles due to my Steeda CAI and have updated it for use with the Boss manifold. No problems and the car changed night and day in performance (364 - 407 hp) and throttle response. I just completed my ARH header install and called for a tune update and was told that none was needed for the headers and I should see 30-35 hp with my current mod/tune. Hope that's the case, will be getting dyno done over the holiday week and will report.

Steve

What about running without cats?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
I assume they turned off the rear O2 sensors in the tune?
Gary
To be honest I will have to check, I had a right bank O2 sensor CEL due to a bad connection on the harness, clicked it together tight and haven't had a light or code since. Since I haven't changed the tune since adding the Boss intake I don't think they turned the rears off, unless Brenspeed does with all of their tunes with or without headers. The installation of the ARH headers and catted x pipe is one of the hardest mods I have done in my 29 years working on cars but the sound and torque gain is worth every hour I spent under there. Still haven't done the dyno check but there is a definite power increase across the whole rev range.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors