The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wind Buffeting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pennsylvania
Anyone figure out how to reduce the wind buffeting at high speeds on the track? My track requires us to keep our windows down and above 100 or so the buffeting is brutal. I would imagine many of you experience the same. I have wind foils from Blackmill on one of my other cars, and they work great. Unfortunately Blackmill doesn’t make them for Mustangs. Anyone come up with anything?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Anyone figure out how to reduce the wind buffeting at high speeds on the track? My track requires us to keep our windows down and above 100 or so the buffeting is brutal. I would imagine many of you experience the same. I have wind foils from Blackmill on one of my other cars, and they work great. Unfortunately Blackmill doesn’t make them for Mustangs. Anyone come up with anything?
an already made solution : https://archetyperacing.com/products/ar-vortex-generator

But others have made their own similar to this

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pennsylvania
I decided to buy the Blackmill wind deflectors. I purchased the size that I have on my 911 (991). I took measurements and they are really close so I figured it was worth a shot. Here are some pictures. Not perfect, but good enough and very effective at high speed. I’ve had the car up to about 135mph and the buffeting is essentially gone.

IMG_6228.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

IMG_6225.jpeg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Exactly! I have the same “problem!” 🤣
Do you have a closure? If not add one. Its weird but with seats putting them down helped, with roll bar and no seats adding the Gt350 closure, or as on my race car a bulkhead stopped the drumming. Or put the deflectors, I haven't used those though.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pennsylvania
Do you have a closure? If not add one. Its weird but with seats putting them down helped, with roll bar and no seats adding the Gt350 closure, or as on my race car a bulkhead stopped the drumming. Or put the deflectors, I haven't used those though.

Yes. In place of the seats is a flat piece of carpet. Here’s a picture. I could easily remove it, however the wind deflectors I put on seemed to fix the problem (at least up to about 135 mph).

IMG_4556_Original.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
That's interesting, I had the opposite experience.
When I had a full interior still and rear seats up, zero buffeting. When I removed the rear seats for the roll bar, then I had buffeting 🤷‍♂️

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pennsylvania
Where did you get the rubber piece on down tubes ??

I got the idea from someone on YouTube. Here’s the link:
(I obviously didn’t use the metal collar)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel