The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Window Tint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I have been kicking around the idea of having the windows tinted but unsure of how dark I want to go and if I want all the windows to be the same?

Legally I can go to 35% in the front and 20% in the rear. I've never owned a vehicle with aftermarket tint so I'm skeptical as to how it may look with different shades. Obviously I do not want it too dark where it's difficult to see out of or backing up.

If anyone has some advice or even pictures of their Boss with tint, please let me know. Is it best to keep all the same percentage or mix it up? Thanks for your help.

Go to a 3M dealer and check out all the new types of tint they have. I think this is the stuff

Crystalline http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/Crystalline_Automotive_Films/

The tint is very light but cuts the heat down way better then a normal dark tint. I was impressed with this stuff when they showed me how much it blocks with a heat lamp right in front of it.

I do not like driving at night with a very dark tint.

I have the crystalline installed on my boss and like it.

I actually slightly prefer traditional tint such as the 3M Color Stable. It provides a nice gray black tint and Color Stable is available in the lower ranges (5%, 20%)

You may actually prefer the lighter look of the Crystalline. It only goes down to 40% (which is what I have), so you can still make out someone's face when it is not dark. It does drastically cut down on heat coming through the side and back windows. Of course this only protects the side of your body since most of the light actually comes from the front (I did not get a front strip because I thought it would look tacky with the mustang horse that comes stock in the middle). The color has a slight brownish black tint, so the color is slightly less attractive imho than the colorstable, when compared side to side. It is also significantly more expensive than colorstable.

3M is great either way, just go to their website (below)and use their dealer tracker to find an authorized dealer near you. They come with a lifetime warranty and will be replaced for free if they ever degrade. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Automotive/

I have ceramic 20% window tint and like it a lot. I think it helps keep the car cooler than the normal window tint I've used in the past.

I talked a little to my brother and he suggest I go with 35% all around not to include the front windshield. This I know would keep the sun out and reduce temp within the vehicle.....but again, I do not want it so dark it makes it hard to see around me at night.

Having the darker windows I know will make the overall color of the car (Yellow Blaze and Black) stand out, so that alone makes it worth tinting.

I have tinted in all my cars .What I do is the legal max on the drivers passenger and rear windows .The little 3rd windows I blacked out.But what is the best is a tinted strip across the inside of the front window.Its like having sunglasses on .Gets rid of all the glare.

suprmn said:
I talked a little to my brother and he suggest I go with 35% all around not to include the front windshield. This I know would keep the sun out and reduce temp within the vehicle.....but again, I do not want it so dark it makes it hard to see around me at night.

Having the darker windows I know will make the overall color of the car (Yellow Blaze and Black) stand out, so that alone makes it worth tinting.
I have 35% all around and skipped the windshield band. Didn't think it would look good with the Mustang decal. I used Llumar.
cd8989ae.jpg

Here what 20% looks like. I not sure the manufacture of the film. It definitely makes it harder to see at night backing up. I usually roll the windows down to help see the side mirrors. But it looks real good. ;D
Boss%252520302R-20%252525tint-1.jpg

FYI, I did get pull over for the tinting being to dark in VA, even though I live in TN. :-\

Thanks guys.......I believe I will stick with the legal limit and go 35% all around. Although the 20% does look sharp on the red and black!!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Mine's 20% and I couldn't be happier. Looks amazing. And I got the strip along the top of the windshield. Very nice for hiding my MCA sticker and you can still definitely see the pony on the windshield.

TMO Supporting Vendors