The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

I couldn't find a "pictures" sticky anywhere, so I guess I'll just post the picture of my new wing here.
I put this on for very specific purpose. To increase rear end pressure and traction during high-speed braking and cornering and reduce wheel hop. But it happens to look badass too.

wing3.jpg

Also, the rear lights have matte black bezels over them.

wing4.jpg

GA
Nice. If those are the MMD tail light trim from American Muscle I have those too. The LS wing made a huge difference on the track for my car.

Sesshomurai

This is the product[1] btw. Fairly inexpensive. When I get to American Iron, I'll upgrade to the AI spoiler[2], but its a lot more.

[1] http://www.carid.com/universal-spoilers/extreme-dimensions-body-kit-305981.html
[2] http://store.kennybrown.com/product/aerodynamics/62-inch-carbon-fiber-race-wing-mustang-or-universal-fit

It looks pretty good a few questions. Did you pt any support under the trunk lid so it does not start to push in or become dented from the force? How much down force does it make? I have seen winds that give 600lbs of down force but it will not help your wheel hop at all unless you are saying you are going into turns so fast that the ass end is bouncing?

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
It looks pretty good a few questions. Did you pt any support under the trunk lid so it does not start to push in or become dented from the force? How much down force does it make? I have seen winds that give 600lbs of down force but it will not help your wheel hop at all unless you are saying you are going into turns so fast that the ass end is bouncing?

Yes. It has large flange washers underneath. I may replace them with a flat cross bar support at some point, but it is reinforced and that occurred to us.
I'll get back to you on its effect on wheel hop (which I haven't experienced much anyway). Its chief purpose is rear wheel traction/stability during high speeds (acceleration, braking and turning velocity).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Man, that G-Stream wing is the ultimate for Mustangs, but the $1500 cost doesn't even include the struts, which are another $350!!!!! I just can't justify that cost...yet.

LS110 said:
How does the install of the G-Stream wing work if replacing a LS wing? Are you required to drill new holes and then have the old holes left to cover somehow?
This is the Tiger Racing wing, same guy that makes the hood, that bolts up to the LS holes.

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/aerodynamics/boss-plus-rear-spoiler-2010-2014-mustang-and-shelby-gt500

2010-2014_boss_plus_rear_spoiler_02_alt.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LS110 said:
How does the install of the G-Stream wing work if replacing a LS wing? Are you required to drill new holes and then have the old holes left to cover somehow?

You'll have to drill new holes for the G-Stream wing, meaning you'll have to fill or plug existing holes. Not a big deal for a track car. And since you have a Black LS, you could very easily find black plugs, or swap decklids with the owner of a black V6/GT looking for an LS wing.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
LS110 said:
This is the Tiger Racing wing, same guy that makes the hood, that bolts up to the LS holes.

http://store.kennybrown.com/product/aerodynamics/boss-plus-rear-spoiler-2010-2014-mustang-and-shelby-gt500

2010-2014_boss_plus_rear_spoiler_02_alt.jpg

This one is on my short list. I wish they hadn't made the pedestal sections so wide from a cosmetic perspective, but then again it may be better technically since it disperses the downforce over a larger area of the rear hatch. I also like that it uses the existing mounting holes. It may not be the $1500 302S wing but it definitely looks like it can create more downforce that the stock LS wing. When it comes time to buy hopefully they will have some data available on the differences between the two.

Sesshomurai

Jimmy Pribble said:
Looks great! Now get thee a front splitter! ;D

I swear I need to find some money and get my Steeda 302R wing project off the ground.

Jimmy

Yeah, I have the world challenge splitter on my "stage 3" round of mods...probably should have done it with the wing though.

PeteInCT said:
This one is on my short list. I wish they hadn't made the pedestal sections so wide from a cosmetic perspective, but then again it may be better technically since it disperses the downforce over a larger area of the rear hatch. I also like that it uses the existing mounting holes. It may not be the $1500 302S wing but it definitely looks like it can create more downforce that the stock LS wing. When it comes time to buy hopefully they will have some data available on the differences between the two.
I know either TR or FR has the downforce info between the LS, Intermediate and 302S wings and I'll see if I can find that info. I believe the LS wing adds 90 lbs. of downforce.

With the 302S wing you'll want the TR hood so I think that eliminates the two of us. :D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I thought the LS wing was 75 lbs and the 302S was 225 lbs. I could be totally off. I'm guessing this wing is in the 100 - 150 range, I can't expect that there isn't a significant increase over the LS wing - obviously real numbers tell the tale. And I agree, if I went the route of the 302S wing I'd not only need the Tiger racing hood but id's also surely need the suspension also, my car as it stands now would squat too much from over 200 lbs of downforce off the rear edge. I'm sure I'll do the suspension (and keep current dampers) at some point next season.

That is not a bad idea to swap trunk lids to avoid the extra set of holes. I keep thinking at some point I will want to be able to sell the car as a stock LS, but the more mods I do to the car, the more I realize that is not going to happen.

TMO Supporting Vendors