The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winglets Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wonder how functional these are, they must provide some additional downforce. Anyone make these for the Boss?

shelby-gt500-turbo-red-1_1035.jpg

shelby-gt500-turbo-red-3_1035.jpg

After all just like stripes winglets are all the rage these days.

2012_porsche_911_gt3_rs_40_105_cd_gallery.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Nice, you do good work. Do you have your own shop? If I buy the 302S hood I'm going to use the same pins you used.

Looks like the winglets are officially called bumper canards.

http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=50

I am consider adding canards to counter my wing. In high speed turns I am experiencing understeer. It has been a while since you made this post. Were you able to notice any effect? I am considering buying the APR version that Rick mentioned. Those kits come with 2 canards per side, 4 total.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LS110 said:
I am consider adding canards to counter my wing. In high speed turns I am experiencing understeer. It has been a while since you made this post. Were you able to notice any effect? I am considering buying the APR version that Rick mentioned. Those kits come with 2 canards per side, 4 total.

Before you spend any money, you might try taking a little wing out of it first. Or lower the front of the car a little.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaGT said:
Before you spend any money, you might try taking a little wing out of it first. Or lower the front of the car a little.

Or maybe just lower the splitter with spacers and longer hardware.

Personally, I think canards are somewhat counter to the effects of a splitter. Splitter has a high pressure zone on top and the canard creates a low pressure zone underneath it...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Lots of good input. One being that the canards work with opposing pressures. The second being to adjust my wing which have have done by 1/2 degree and I am planning to reduce it another 1/2 degree to. And the other suggestion is to lower the air splitter. I just started a new thread on the topic of "Lowering the Air Splitter" as the title of this one does not seem to match and I am hoping there is a lot more discussion on that. Please look for this thread.

LS110 said:
Lots of good input. One being that the canards work with opposing pressures. The second being to adjust my wing which have have done by 1/2 degree and I am planning to reduce it another 1/2 degree to. And the other suggestion is to lower the air splitter. I just started a new thread on the topic of "Lowering the Air Splitter" as the title of this one does not seem to match and I am hoping there is a lot more discussion on that. Please look for this thread.
As the OP you can change the subject in the first post and it will hold for all new posts.

Grant 302 said:
Personally, I think canards are somewhat counter to the effects of a splitter. Splitter has a high pressure zone on top and the canard creates a low pressure zone underneath it...
How does high pressure on top counter low pressure underneath? Sounds like they are doing the same thing to me.

Grant 302

shipdriver said:
How does high pressure on top counter low pressure underneath? Sounds like they are doing the same thing to me.

Think Bi-plane. I can't think of a reason why a modern airplane would use this in an efficient design. Both creating lift in the same manner, but needing to be far enough apart to not interfere with each other's pressure effects. If the wings were too close, they just wouldn't work.

The splitter and canard combination don't really work the same way as bi-plane wings, but I am pointing out how the underside effect of the canard somewhat negatively impacts the function of the splitter. Which, by the way, despite it's name does not literally 'split' the air.

Grant 302 said:
Think Bi-plane. I can't think of a reason why a modern airplane would use this in an efficient design. Both creating lift in the same manner, but needing to be far enough apart to not interfere with each other's pressure effects. If the wings were too close, they just wouldn't work.

The splitter and canard combination don't really work the same way as bi-plane wings, but I am pointing out how the underside effect of the canard somewhat negatively impacts the function of the splitter. Which, by the way, despite it's name does not literally 'split' the air.

Although the home-made canards pictured in a post above probably don't do anything because of that vertical wall behind and under the canard, but it is common addition to race cars for creating downforce on the front end of the car (although due to their size, significant speed is usually required to have much effect). The narrow size of the splitter and the bumper canards means the high pressure area will not be huge and they can be fairly close. Returning to the biplane analogy: if the wing chord was only 2 inches then the distance between the wings could be quite close without them spoiling each other.

Grant 302

I'm not trying to argue wether they're used on race cars. I'm talking about the application on our cars in conjunction with a splitter. What's the point in adding canards to a car with a splitter if the effects are somewhat counter effective? If the splitter were turned up towards the outside edge more like dive planes close to parallel with the canards, then the addition of canards would or could be complimentary. A bigger splitter would be more effective, if allowed or desired.

Maybe we're just splitting hairs...I do think they could be effective mounted higher up, closer to the bumper line. But I think most of the air there is mostly moving up and out anyway...especially with the splitter mounted, which has already lowered the stagnation point(s) and reduced the air flowing under the car.

The vertical wheel well spats on 908ssp's car would be more of complimentary aero part for the splitter, with a little more 'cost' from added drag.

TMO Supporting Vendors