The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter 2014/15 Build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So thanks to 3rd gear bitting the dust, I am forced to end the season early and begin plotting my winter build. I moved to Ohio this year so I actually have to store the car for the winter for the first time. Over the winter I am doing mostly suspension and of course transmission stuff. Plannin on rebuilding the MT82 vs. getting a t56. Mostly cause it's hard to justify having to spend 4K on a new trans. Especially if the MT can be rebuilt to hold up. Below is what I have so far:

KW V3 coilovers
BMR LCA with Relo brackets
Oil cooler bracket

Planned Items:
rebuilt MT82 by Liberty Gear in MI. Going for bronze shift fork pads, Shift stop, and fix what ever is broken. MGW shifter is going back to MGW just to make sure everything is okay with it. Binds a little, but not sure if that was due to the trans going out or if the internal bushing were crimped during install
Cortex Watts link ;D
Rest of the DIY oil cooler setup
McLeod RXT with Aluminum Flywheel
DSS 3.5 DS
Stainless clutch line
CJ Pulse ring
New tune to finish it all up

Anyone see anything I might be missing aside from odds and ends stuff? See anything that would be good to do while I in there? I appreciate any input. :)

IMO the clutch not fully disengaging at high RPM's and during track use has caused many of the transmission failures. That along with poor shifter alignment, BFR Shifter Support Bracket is a fix, and you have potential to damage the transmission. With the upgraded clutch I think your transmission problems are behind you.

Z20WHAT said:
What does Liberty charge for the MT82 rebuild? Any particular reason you're choosing that path vs trying warranty repair?

Well since this post I found another place to get it done. Does basically the same thing, with a few extras. Part of his service is replacement of the 2nd and 5th gear synchros, bronze shift guides, and shift dogs. Adding in doing 3rd gear will come out just a tad cheaper with the same peace of mind. Decided on this because I'm out of the warranty window. That, and I don't feel like having a repeat problem since all Ford will do is stick the same thing back in it. So the likelihood this will happen again is very much there. Rather just get it done with solid components instead of the cheap plastic stuff Ford uses. Liberty has a very good track record, but this guy is closer and I've seen about 3 cars with his rebuild in it and they run great.

From what I have found in pricing around, getting the rebuild done will cost anywhere from 1100 if your trans is in good order to 1900 if you go all out and everything is screwed up. As more people start getting this done, it could be a solid alternative to just buying a magnum. The magnum is great, but I was finding a hard time finding all the parts and stuff for less than 5K. If you take the mid range of the rebuild (1500), then you are almost 3 times cheaper. And from a lot of the rebuilds I've seen discussed, it sounds like it holds up very well. With the Blowfish bracket, good clutch, and supporting hardware, the MT82 may not be so bad. Just sucks to have to put a lot into it to make it work right.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Smilieboy said:
Well since this post I found another place to get it done. Does basically the same thing, with a few extras. Part of his service is replacement of the 2nd and 5th gear synchros, bronze shift guides, and shift dogs. Adding in doing 3rd gear will come out just a tad cheaper with the same peace of mind. Decided on this because I'm out of the warranty window. That, and I don't feel like having a repeat problem since all Ford will do is stick the same thing back in it. So the likelihood this will happen again is very much there. Rather just get it done with solid components instead of the cheap plastic stuff Ford uses. Liberty has a very good track record, but this guy is closer and I've seen about 3 cars with his rebuild in it and they run great.

From what I have found in pricing around, getting the rebuild done will cost anywhere from 1100 if your trans is in good order to 1900 if you go all out and everything is screwed up. As more people start getting this done, it could be a solid alternative to just buying a magnum. The magnum is great, but I was finding a hard time finding all the parts and stuff for less than 5K. If you take the mid range of the rebuild (1500), then you are almost 3 times cheaper. And from a lot of the rebuilds I've seen discussed, it sounds like it holds up very well. With the Blowfish bracket, good clutch, and supporting hardware, the MT82 may not be so bad. Just sucks to have to put a lot into it to make it work right.

I think I'm with you on this route when the time comes. Nice rebuild + Blowfish bracket should make the unit pretty stout for half the price or less compared to a Magnum XL.

What is the name of the contact you have for this?
There is a guy on Facebook that sells rebuilt MT82s, his name is Ben Calimer.
Also I hear Revolution Automotive rebuilds as well but not sure of their pricing.

Also +1 on the factory clutch being a bit of a POS for the track and causing damage to the transmission.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I think I'm with you on this route when the time comes. Nice rebuild + Blowfish bracket should make the unit pretty stout for half the price or less compared to a Magnum XL.

What is the name of the contact you have for this?
There is a guy on Facebook that sells rebuilt MT82s, his name is Ben Calimer.
Also I hear Revolution Automotive rebuilds as well but not sure of their pricing.

Also +1 on the factory clutch being a bit of a POS for the track and causing damage to the transmission.

Yep, Ben Calimer is who I plan on going through at this point. His pricing is very reasonable for doing a rebuild. Revolution auto is also solid from what I have heard, but they are too far away and freight would have been around $400 round trip.

The Rev Auto stage one rebuild is $899. That is assuming nothing is wrong with the transmission. Labor to remove and install the trans is $499.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Smilieboy said:
Yep, Ben Calimer is who I plan on going through at this point. His pricing is very reasonable for doing a rebuild. Revolution auto is also solid from what I have heard, but they are too far away and freight would have been around $400 round trip.

Very cool, let us know how the rebuild goes. His rebuild pictures on facebook look pretty good.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Is this the guy? I don't see any trans info.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1567424259&fref=browse_search

Yes. He posts rebuilds for sale occasionally in the "Anything 2011+ Coyote Mustangs Related" FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/390786757684390/

TMO Supporting Vendors