The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter escape for northerners? Southern hpde recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the last couple years some friends and I have been toying with the idea of driving south and doing a track day in the dead of Ohio winter. Something in January or around there to take the sting off the cold Ohio winter's with no tracking.

Any help on what southern states run events in the December to March timeframe and what track?

Probably 2 at most 4 of us, advanced level.

Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Events with Chin, PDG and HOD at Sebring and PBIR (mid-state). Homestead (south) and Daytona (north) a bit less so. Daytona is pretty busy in January and February as you can imagine. Chin does once a month 2 day HPDE's at Sebring. PDG and HOD do PBIR seems like 3 times a month combined at PBIR. Not everyone has their 2019 schedules out yet. Sebring gets filled up pretty quickly in-season. Lots of snow-birds have the exact same thought!

Thanks for the information! Looks like I need to set up an amount of time I'm willing to travel and go from there. I'm thinking 8 hours from Columbus so I won't be able to make it to Florida or Calif, etc. I'll keep this post updated.

Thanks for the information! Looks like I need to set up an amount of time I'm willing to travel and go from there. I'm thinking 8 hours from Columbus so I won't be able to make it to Florida or Calif, etc. I'll keep this post updated.

I suggest Road Atlanta in the spring. Around April or so. Warmer than Ohio, about a 9 hour tow. Chin does events there.

Not exactly a winter get-away but an 8 hour drive is a tough constraint!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Reviving this thread and hijacking it a bit.
I am signed up with NASA at Road Atlanta on December 3-4/2022. I currently have MPSC2 and Falken RT660 rubber. From experience and web searching I know and see that north GA temps can vary widely in November/December, from 32-70 deg F. For those who drive on this track from November through February/March, what tires are you using and how have those tires performed once May/June arrive?

for the time being, stay out of Florida, there are over 2 million people down here without power and whole communities have vanished along with some barrier islands. at least 50 dead and who knows how many are missing, the state emergency services are buried, I 75 has been shut down just passed Tampa. so maybe catch you guys in a couple of months.

Screenshot_20221003-212533_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
TX
We usually have an event in December and again in January at COTA. Weather is almost always perfect and the grip is good!

TMO Supporting Vendors