The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter is coming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoDakMac said:
I also do the battery tender thing, oil change, fuel stabilizer, full fuel tank, never dry start it but unlike drano I detail it and it is covered for the winter. I also cancel my insurance except for collision in case the shop burns down or some other disaster befalls me. The Mustangs live in a heated shop all winter and never see snow or ice. Darn, those days are almost here for us Northerners.

What do you mean by dry start? I have a heated garage that I keep at 55F. Should be OK to start every other week and let run for 20 min, shouldn't it?

I was always told that starting an engine that has been setting for weeks at a time just to warm it up is the best idea because unnecessary wear can occur. But in the long run it probably isn’t a major problem it's just something that I don’t do. I know there are different opinions regarding that "old grandpa tale.'" I have a Whipple supercharged 4.6L in a 07 Shelby GT and the installation instructions warn about starting the car and not letting it come up to operating temperature because it may screw up an injector. So, I just let the cars sit until spring and never had a problem.

I do use the dryer sheets as well. I have no idea if they work but since using them in my cars and boat I have not had any mouse problems so I will probably continue using them until I find a problem. I try not to use poison because of my Labrador who can find and will eat anything.

Cheers.

Check the owners manual. There is a section specific to winter storage. A specific note mentioned is to move the car 8 meters ( memory) to things lubed. I'll dig up the book and check again, but please take a read.

Glue Boards or traps work much better than Decon and other poison. With Decon, the mice eat it then go looking for a place to die....usually in the car. LOL If you use traps and Glue Boards it gives you a way to monitor the rodent activity in your garage. Glue boards are cheap 12 for $5.99 at Walmart. If you use traps, use peanut butter to bait them.

gking616 said:
Glue Boards or traps work much better than Decon and other poison. With Decon, the mice eat it then go looking for a place to die....usually in the car. LOL If you use traps and Glue Boards it gives you a way to monitor the rodent activity in your garage. Glue boards are cheap 12 for $5.99 at Walmart. If you use traps, use peanut butter to bait them.

QFT.

Also consider getting those traps that rodents can run in but can't run out. Also a surefire way to get them, know they were there and remove them. Poison I find works best when you have a full blown infestation, not the best for prevention, it just encourages them to come to the "food".

SoDakMac said:
I also do the battery tender thing, oil change, fuel stabilizer, full fuel tank, never dry start it but unlike drano I detail it and it is covered for the winter. I also cancel my insurance except for collision in case the shop burns down or some other disaster befalls me. The Mustangs live in a heated shop all winter and never see snow or ice. Darn, those days are almost here for us Northerners.

What kind of fuel stabilizer did you use? Any particular brand that is better for our Boss?

I've heard of farmers using fox urine to keep mice away, but, I don't know if your car would smell like a urinal or not. Check with the local tractor and supply house they have way'a of dealing with them.

Did the oil change, sta-bil, wash thing. Currently in the garage uncovered. I have the cover and am not sure if il use it just yet. Anyone storing outside with a cover in a northern climate (Massachusetts here)? Just curious if anyone has had outdoor issues with a cover. Just having an internal debate whether to use a garage bay for a stored car vs a quick and easy morning start each winter day with my DD.

I'm in SW Ct & my Boss stays in the Garage year round & I try to drive it year round. Last year was easy since we had a VERY easy (mild/ no snow) winter. I doubt this this winter will be as kind, but as long as the temp is above freezing & the roads are dry, I will air my Boss out once & awhile. My DD & I will deal with the elements,outside, as they occur.

coboss said:
I have rodent problems in the winter in my garage. Has anyone heard that putting dryer sheets around the tires will keep mice from climbing in? I'm a little skeptical, since I've seen field mice jump a good 18 inches before. I'm already putting D-Con in the engine compartment and trunk.

BTW, I have a plow truck that I have to leave outside, and the f'ing chipmunks move right in, and the EAT THE DCON apparently with no ill effects. I'm at a loss about what to do about them.

I trap the ground squirrels with a basic animal trap, shoot them with the BB gun, and feed them to the vultures. It's the circle of life right there in my driveway! Walnuts work well for bait.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel