The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
Several teams ran the whole season on the same motor, at least in 2011. I saw one failure in person in 2012 but there have been very few. Remember there's always a cost to adding more power. ;) I wonder what Smitty runs his up to?

Mine is stock (for an S that's 7800) and i'm not going to change it. I wanted to tune for more power but was warned not to by two people who I consider to be very knowledgeable in the Mustang race car industry.

Plus, I would think that higher RPMs equals more cooling issues.

smittytx said:
Mine is stock (for an S that's 7800) and i'm not going to change it. I wanted to tune for more power but was warned not to by two people who I consider to be very knowledgeable in the Mustang race car industry.

Plus, I would think that higher RPMs equals more cooling issues.
That's exactly why I'm just having him shut off the rear O2s and speed limiter and leaving the rev limiter at 7500. I'll take the easy gains from the LTs and opened up H-pipe, but not willing to bet the engine on more aggressive tuning.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
That's exactly why I'm just having him shut off the rear O2s and speed limiter and leaving the rev limiter at 7500. I'll take the easy gains from the LTs and opened up H-pipe, but not willing to bet the engine on more aggressive tuning.

That's exactly what I did. You never should "tune for power" IMHO, but rather, with the parts you have on the car, tune for the optimal MAF under WOT, etc. From my CAI+LT's+offroad-H-pipe+Tune, I got around 40-50rwhp. Removed the speed limiter. Kept the standard rev limit,limiter, shift-points, etc.

cloud9 said:

Gary, so you are not getting the car tuned? your tuner can just shut off the rear O2s, so the CEL will not come up? Does this work with the Trackey?

ihatepotholess said:
Gary, so you are not getting the car tuned? your tuner can just shut off the rear O2s, so the CEL will not come up? Does this work with the Trackey?
He thinks he can make TK work, but won't know for sure until I send him my stock tune after loading his base tune. I'll let everyone know after he has time to work on it. I'm hoping for the best but will live without it if necessary.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
He thinks he can make TK work, but won't know for sure until I send him my stock tune after loading his base tune. I'll let everyone know after he has time to work on it. I'm hoping for the best but will live without it if necessary.

I don't think TK can be combined with specialty tunes from what I've been told. Also, what's interesting is that Ford has put the kybash on certain TK settings in the aftermarket tune world where they were reverse engineered. For example, the cam settings/lopey idle/crackle-n-pop can no longer be custom tuned (at least not with SCT tunes because I was told Ford sued SCT to have it removed). My tuner showed me on his computer how those settings were recently removed from SCT devices and he could no longer configure them.

darreng505 said:
I don't think TK can be combined with specialty tunes from what I've been told. Also, what's interesting is that Ford has put the kybash on certain TK settings in the aftermarket tune world where they were reverse engineered. For example, the cam settings/lopey idle/crackle-n-pop can no longer be custom tuned (at least not with SCT tunes because I was told Ford sued SCT to have it removed). My tuner showed me on his computer how those settings were recently removed from SCT devices and he could no longer configure them.
If Ford really is going to take that position, I wish they'd reconsider. TracKey inherently means for track use. Since FRPP is selling a TB and CJ Intake that requires tuning, and is currently not offering or advertising they plan to offer the tune, you'd hope they'd let the after-market make it work. I'd be more than happy to get the calibration from them if they plan to offer it.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
If Ford really is going to take that position, I wish they'd reconsider. TracKey inherently means for track use. Since FRPP is selling a TB and CJ Intake that requires tuning, and is currently not offering or advertising they plan to offer the tune, you'd hope they'd let the after-market make it work. I'd be more than happy to get the calibration from them if they plan to offer it.

Agree. I think there are only certain parts of TK Ford wants exclusivity on. But for the price of TK seems like a lot of hassle on Fords part. I hope they unlock TK to the after market after the boss' run.

cloud9 said:

Thanks man ;D

Can you ask him if it is possible to just shut off the O2 senors without getting the car tuned. I'm getting LTH, and i like the stock trackey tune. However, i just want to get rid of the CEL.

Sesshomurai

ihatepotholess said:
Thanks man ;D

Can you ask him if it is possible to just shut off the O2 senors without getting the car tuned. I'm getting LTH, and i like the stock trackey tune. However, i just want to get rid of the CEL.

That's not going to be possible via the ECU/ECM. You can check if there is a CEL specific fuse (doubt it). I'm also not sure if the ECU will automatically adjust to the LTH's but to get the extra HP gain from them, you will need a tune - which sadly, wipes out trackey forever.

ArizonaGT said:
No recal on the 05-09, BUT you need to also install the GT500 HCU for it (FR500S Module) to work properly, which means another $550 in parts, and a date with the dealer's power brake actuator/bleeder. Apparently no recal needed on the newer cars either; my reputable source said "just slap it in and go", which is what I did. Everything normal so far. Won't hit the track until late January.

Well lucky me I managed to swipe a hcu for 100 bucks out of a wrecked gt 500. Ill probably install it when i do my track pad swap and bleed it then. So many parts S so little time to install.... Unfortunately i won't bee able to make it to the track either until probably February. I can't decide if i want to go to VIR or road Atlanta. I have drill on the same weekends that NASA goes to cmp all next year.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
It drains back via gravity. Catch can mounts above diff, almost touching the chassis. Drain back is via he overflow line (in and out) with a minum 3" drop from can to differential. It works :)

drano38

Wayne
I've got one too, and it works.
Like JScheier said it goes above the diff.
Here's the How To thread.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1696.0
Pete has an aftermarket diff cover, so he attached it to the axle port.
Rick attached his to the stock diff cover.
I've got the stock diff cover, but still attached it to the axle.
Look at the pics and see how they used the 90 degree elbows to point the hose away from exhaust parts.
Big picture--remove vent from top of stock diff cover and put it on top of the reservoir. Install brass fittings of your choice for how you want to mount it. Use included plug for other reservoir bottom hole. If you attach to axle, move the axle plug to top of diff where the vent was.

I wonder if FRPP will make this rear mount battery kit available?

boss302s25.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel