The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
2013 Season cosmetic mods.
DSC_0005-1_zps6528f56c.jpg

Steve - You car looks great. Love the colors and decal work. Any details (benefits & where you got them) you can share on the side air splitters? Looks like you are doing some work to those as well.

Steve your car looks great! Must be a lot warmer where you're at than here if you're doing that in your driveway :D

P.S. my winter mod today was 8 new plugs per your How-To. Thanks for all the tips. It was fairly uneventful thankfully.

I know this is a Winter mod thread but his mod is on my list for Summer.

nXms7Fkl.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The side splitters are Roush and the rear splitters are from Carbon Creations. No real performance benefits that I know of but they look good.

Here are some real performance improvements that I know will help;
DSC_0002-1_zps7e8ed020.jpg
DSC_0001-1_zpsde7c9422.jpg

Neither American Muscle AMR 18"x9" or SVE Drift 18"x(" will fit they hit the caliper at the top and bottom. I will be running Boss 302 S wheels which fit fine.
Boss style Goodridge hoses or stock Boss hoses do not fit so I am using stock '13 GT500 hoses, they are low expansion but I will upgrade when Goodridge does.

I will be having a 18" wheel and slick going out of business sale if anyone is interested.
Steve

Nice work Steve. I'm going to be envious of you at Road America. Might have to run in front of me since I'll probably lift a little earlier and brake a little longer this year :'(

Ok who am I kidding.....I'll just bring plenty of spare rotors ;D

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
YellowBoss said:
After Drew ruined my day with that post I read everything I could find about the issue. I did not see anyone with a Boss that has the problem, only GT's and Shelbys. It also seems that only a select few changed out the EPAS, those that did all said the problem was gone. I am very concerned about this.

I am checking into this with the helpful people from Ford racing. If this may be a problem I will wait on the install since my first outing is a 2 day event. I don't want the wheel shaking out of my hands with no way to change the parts at the track.
I finished my chassis/suspension mods yesterday and took the Boss out for a test drive. I tried to induce the shudder as per the Vorshlag video several times but it never happened.

Dig-It said:
I finished my chassis/suspension mods yesterday and took the Boss out for a test drive. I tried to induce the shudder as per the Vorshlag video several times but it never happened.

Thanks, Kevin. Did you try the long sweeping turns like an on-ramp to a highway? Drive the crap out of that car between now and Wed. I am scheduled for install Wed and have not heard back yet from FR. I want to be sure I don't have a problem at a two day event coming up. I will be looking forward to testing the new Tremec to see what kind of times I can pull off.

steveespo said:
Here are some real performance improvements that I know will help;

Wow, those look mean and screaming to go to the track. You may have posted this but how thick of a pad does that hold? Aslo what wheel studs are you using, then do not look like the ARP's?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Did an initial rotor seasoning with the 15" Brembos and they are serious brakes! With the Carbotech XP-12 compound, 40 degree temps and the available brake torque it was very easy to engage ABS on the fronts doing 50-25 medium effort slow downs. Chances are these brakes will easily out perform the 4 piston 14" Brembos with comparable pads and tires. First event for me this year is 3/23 at Lime Rock Park which really has only one serious brake zone 130-60 mph into turn 1 Big Bend. I will have some comparative data from last October with the same compound pads and DH Pirelli slicks.

Yellow Boss, the studs are the Ford Racing ARP set I bought from cool tech. They have a thin coating of copper anti seize and I paint the ends with Red paint marker because I am crazy like that.
Steve

steveespo said:
Did an initial rotor seasoning with the 15" Brembos and they are serious brakes! With the Carbotech XP-12 compound, 40 degree temps and the available brake torque it was very easy to engage ABS on the fronts doing 50-25 medium effort slow downs. Chances are these brakes will easily out perform the 4 piston 14" Brembos with comparable pads and tires. First event for me this year is 3/23 at Lime Rock Park which really has only one serious brake zone 130-60 mph into turn 1 Big Bend. I will have some comparative data from last October with the same compound pads and DH Pirelli slicks.

Yellow Boss, the studs are the Ford Racing ARP set I bought from cool tech. They have a thin coating of copper anti seize and I paint the ends with Red paint marker because I am crazy like that.
Steve
Nice 8) Anxious to hear your review after Lime Rock.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
YellowBoss said:
Thanks, Kevin. Did you try the long sweeping turns like an on-ramp to a highway? Drive the crap out of that car between now and Wed. I am scheduled for install Wed and have not heard back yet from FR. I want to be sure I don't have a problem at a two day event coming up. I will be looking forward to testing the new Tremec to see what kind of times I can pull off.
I drove the long sweeps, the short tight esses and some slalom - if it was going to happen, it would have happened today.

Sorry Scott, I'm getting underway tomorrow for a couple of weeks or I'd drive it a bit more. I'm confident enough to say I'd trust my car on the track. Good luck with your install and two-day event!

Dig-It said:
I drove the long sweeps, the short tight esses and some slalom - if it was going to happen, it would have happened today.

Sorry Scott, I'm getting underway tomorrow for a couple of weeks or I'd drive it a bit more. I'm confident enough to say I'd trust my car on the track. Good luck with your install and two-day event!

Thanks Kevin, it does ease my mind. I know a lot of stuff you can find on the net is BS but some of the people who had the problem are not beginners when it comes to modding. Guess I will find out soon ....

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Wow, those look mean and screaming to go to the track. You may have posted this but how thick of a pad does that hold? Aslo what wheel studs are you using, then do not look like the ARP's?
[/quote]

Backing plates are 5mm, Hard Brakes shields are 0.5 mm ea.(1mm), and pad comound is 10mm. Looks like with pistons fully seated another 3 mm is available. I am having Carbotech reline OEM backing plates (can't wait to see what that costs!) and maybe have them put 12mm on. We'll see. Also plan on have rotor rings cut to fit my DBA hats since I have 2 pair with nothing to do.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:

Backing plates are 5mm, Hard Brakes shields are 0.5 mm ea.(1mm), and pad comound is 10mm. Looks like with pistons fully seated another 3 mm is available. I am having Carbotech reline OEM backing plates (can't wait to see what that costs!) and maybe have them put 12mm on. We'll see. Also plan on have rotor rings cut to fit my DBA hats since I have 2 pair with nothing to do.
Steve

Relining OEM plates by Carbotech isn't expensive at all.

-Pete

DSS driveshaft installed today. It's only 30 degrees out so I didn't get to push it too hard but did rip down the interstate for a couple miles. There's a little more NVH, but doesn't seem to be any significant DS vibration. With the headers, solid motor mounts, solid control arm bushings etc. it's hard to distinquish what is or isn't more NVH lol. It's going on the rollers tomorrow.

ArizonaGT said:
Great news there. DSS is the one that has the CV end, right?
Yep. I need to head over to Mexico though and make sure it's going to be fine at track speeds. Not sure I want to do that in these temps. Hopefully it warms up soon. Of course a couple 5th gear dyno pulls ought to expose any issues tomorrow as well........

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cool, keep us posted on any vibe. The CV joints are supposed to be much more robust with respect to dealing with vibration in the driveline, supposedly they work best at slightly off angles.

TMO Supporting Vendors