The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods III

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Figured I'd kick off the silly season this year since I have much to do.
My List as of now;
1 Replace clutch, TO bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel and pulse ring.
2 Replace trans with backup I purchased from Crazy Horse
3 Have original trans rebuilt at Revolution Automotive as a backup to the backup
4 Install transmission cooler setup
5 Replace all coolant hoses and coolant
6 Add larger oil cooler plate and thermostatic valve inline from ImprovedRacing.com, remove Boss water to oil cooler.
7 Find 18" wheels to fit front 15" Brembos.
8 Change front ball joints and hubs, torque check all suspension bolts
9 Install FRPP Panhard bar
10 Eibach R2 Coil overs with 550F/300R springs, maintain current ride height.
11 Install the correct 302R ABS module (If Ford ever gets them to Dean and Bill at Rehagen)
12 Install Ford Racing 302S/R steering wheel kit
13 Install LS Gauge pod and reconfigure gauge layout, moving traqmate traqdash to the steering column.

Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
1. Install AIM GPS module.
2. Replace sandwich plate adapter for oil cooler with one w/ temp/pressure sensor ports.
3. Install CoolTech rear tow hook kit.
4. Improve driver.

ArizonaGT said:
1. Install AIM GPS module.
2. Replace sandwich plate adapter for oil cooler with one w/ temp/pressure sensor ports.
3. Improve driver.
The only way I'm going to be able to do that is to find somewhere South to rent a car :p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
The only way I'm going to be able to do that is to find somewhere South to rent a car :p

You could build a sweet iRacing simulator rig and write it off as a business expense... :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJyTvxuXODY[/youtube]

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
Steve:

Can you share more details on your tranny cooler setup (assuming it's not the LS cooler scoop)?

OK here is the plan;
I have the FR 500S power steering cooler which fits in the lower grille opening and bolts to the condenser/radiator support

Using Derale 1/2" trans cooler hose and brass 1/2" barb to 1/2" NPT fittings I will create a connection for -8 AN male fittings. Gonna make the hoses only 2" long just enough to keep the male push fitting and the barb lined up and tight.

I have 2 -8AN to M16 x 1.50 male fittings to go in the drain and fill plug locations to supply and return the pump.

Tilton fluid pump similar to the one I used for the diff cooler setup, haven't figured where to mount it thinking in the drivers side nose in front of the wheel liner.
-8 braided hose and an inline -8 filter.

30 AMP relay and another toggle switch.( AZGT has room on his switch panel for one more I think)

Hopefully this will work as well as my diff setup, it should be pretty easy, only question is if the fill port will accept fluid when trans is in all gears, I see why it wouldn't and I will check when I have it out to fix the clutch. If no go I will use the vent location if possible. When hot the vent pressure or pump will circulate the fluid, when cold it doesn't matter.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
OK here is the plan;
I have the FR 500S power steering cooler which fits in the lower grille opening and bolts to the condenser/radiator support

Using Derale 1/2" trans cooler hose and brass 1/2" barb to 1/2" NPT fittings I will create a connection for -8 AN male fittings. Gonna make the hoses only 2" long just enough to keep the male push fitting and the barb lined up and tight.

I have 2 -8AN to M16 x 1.50 male fittings to go in the drain and fill plug locations to supply and return the pump.

Tilton fluid pump similar to the one I used for the diff cooler setup, haven't figured where to mount it thinking in the drivers side nose in front of the wheel liner.
-8 braided hose and an inline -8 filter.

30 AMP relay and another toggle switch.( AZGT has room on his switch panel for one more I think)

Hopefully this will work as well as my diff setup, it should be pretty easy, only question is if the fill port will accept fluid when trans is in all gears, I see why it wouldn't and I will check when I have it out to fix the clutch. If no go I will use the vent location if possible. When hot the vent pressure or pump will circulate the fluid, when cold it doesn't matter.
Steve

Sounds "cool"! Maybe you could plumb a temp sensor before/after the cooler to check the temp drop? Also the manual says only fill the trans when in neutral, not sure if a fork blocks the fill hole at that point or what. It would be advantageous if you can still use the cooler when the car is in-gear...for obvious reasons :)

I'm interested in hearing more about this as your project evolves. A real cooling solution is what this transmission lacks for track use. Until something better comes along, I'm using the LS scoop and crossing my fingers that everything will be OK.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
An Auto Meter Elite Gauge will be added to a LS 3 Gauge pod on the dash, will be moving my track dash to the column when I put the FRPP Sparco race wheel on.........oops forgot to add that to the mod list. :eek: I have a parts backlog here, the CFO has missile lock on me too :-[
Steve

Tulsa, OK
That is quite the list Steve!

Here is what I'm looking at:

1. Install diff catch can
2. Add oil pressure sensor to aeroforce gauge
3. Install Koni yellow shocks/struts
4. Make my own front splitter

ArizonaGT said:
You could build a sweet iRacing simulator rig and write it off as a business expense... :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJyTvxuXODY[/youtube]

To piggy back off this, a while ago some guys in Europe found that they could setup a way to have either a computer or Xbox interface with the OBD2 on their Scirroco and play Forza with their car as the controller.

Steve if possible could you do write ups for the projects you have, love reading all of those to help plan for homebrew mods.

Hmmm what am I going to do this Winter???

1. Install my Watson Racing roll bar and RSD kit.
2. Investigate installing Stoptech Trophy front calipers with 355 rotors.
3. Install an oil temp sensor for my Aerotech gauge.
4. Change trans and diff fluids.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
This winter I plan to do what I did for the past winters. Drive the car everyday to work and back. Might switch it back to 93 for the winter for easier starting in the cold vice the E85.

As for mods I dont know. I am running out of simple bolt ons to do. Might look into getting a larger TB and maybe move the battery to the rear with blowfish's kit.

I hope to save up enough to swing for the beefcake special paxton/vortech kit. That is if I can get it past the wife.

Tulsa, OK
Justin said:
This winter I plan to do what I did for the past winters. Drive the car everyday to work and back. Might switch it back to 93 for the winter for easier starting in the cold vice the E85.

I'm about to switch back to 91 from the corn. My car hardly wants to start in 60 degree weather...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
roadhouse said:
I'm about to switch back to 91 from the corn. My car hardly wants to start in 60 degree weather...
its 50's in the morning here but for now 70's in the garage in the morning once it takes two cranks of the key ill switch

NFSBOSS said:
Hmmm what am I going to do this Winter???

1. Install my Watson Racing roll bar and RSD kit.
2. Investigate installing Stoptech Trophy front calipers with 355 rotors.
3. Install an oil temp sensor for my Aerotech gauge.
4. Change trans and diff fluids.

Inquiring minds want to know: Why the stoptech kit? Stock brake calipers/rotors insufficient even with proper pads?

boro92 said:
Inquiring minds want to know: Why the stoptech kit? Stock brake calipers/rotors insufficient even with proper pads?
They're more than sufficient. The same way that 444 HP is sufficient. ;) I would go with a 15" rotor kit but don't want to switch wheels. Actually the 15" Stoptech kit will fit inside my Enkei's, member Neema has them, but going with the thicker rotors should provide a similar increase in heat dissipation without any potential hassles.

TMO Supporting Vendors