The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302BOB said:
Hey Cloud9, How cold does it get in your neck of the woods the during the winter? Where I am in Ct the extreme is single digits at night & twenties during the day. This weekend is expected to be in the mid to upper 50's....more miles on my BOSS to say the least........................

Must be nice to have the extreme be single digits! Here in Chicago the winters get rough. We will hit 30 and 40 below wind chills at least 5 times or so. The current highs are in the upper 30s though, so it's been pretty decent so far. If it wasn't so windy all of the time it wouldn't be so bad!

Here was the ever busy Lake Shore Drive last winter in Chicago...
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2011/02/02/lake_shore_drive_108758595.jpg

cloud9 said:
Finished all the drilling and cutting this afternoon. Now the bar and brackets go in for welding and powdercoating tomorrow ;D

Staying a hair ahead of you, lol. Got it pre-fit so I had it welded up Sunday morning. Had some problems getting all four bolt holes lined up the first time. Had to widen one on the drivers side and two on the passenger side :mad: Paint guy did not show up today so I may need to spray bomb it tomorrow after all to be ready for Friday.

Tomorrow I need to look for different threaded eye-bolts, the ones that came with the belts are not correct.

No worries I had to widen two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Also had to use a BFH to get the driver side to lay down on the mounting bracket. My friend had to widen a couple holes on his too. I am going to pick up a couple larger hardened washers for those holes. Anxious to hear what they come up with for eyebolts.

Pictures when it's done :D

cloud9 said:
No worries I had to widen two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Also had to use a BFH to get the driver side to lay down on the mounting bracket.

Had to use a MFH on the passenger side, when I set it in it was 3/8 inch up on the inside. Talked to Steve and Monty this moring, they are checking into the eye bolts. They said the size sent fit up till last year and they think Ford changed the threads this year. Waiting on a call back ....

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:
No worries I had to widen two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Also had to use a BFH to get the driver side to lay down on the mounting bracket.

Had to use a MFH on the passenger side, when I set it in it was 3/8 inch up on the inside. Talked to Steve and Monty this moring, they are checking into the eye bolts. They said the size sent fit up till last year and they think Ford changed the threads this year. Waiting on a call back ....
Cool, give em a heads up I'll have the same issue ;D

cloud9 said:

OK, talked to the guys and the choices are drilling a new hole for the eye bolt in the rocker and use the nut and washers. The eye bolts sent are standard and the new Mustang seats bolts are metric. They did not know the size so I went to the store and found out they are 10x1.5 and there are no eye bolts I could find in that size.

Next option was getting the lap and crotch belts with a hole not a clip, Steve called Crow about that and they are sending me a set but I had to pay the shipping, need them real soon. I do not have to send the other belts back. So I going to try these with the existing bolts and holes.

I have the bar ready to install but now need to wait on the belts. I have new pads and rotors on the car and have not even bedded them in yet! It's always something ::)

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:

OK, talked to the guys and the choices are drilling a new hole for the eye bolt in the rocker and use the nut and washers. The eye bolts sent are standard and the new Mustang seats bolts are metric. They did not know the size so I went to the store and found out they are 10x1.5 and there are no eye bolts I could find in that size.

Next option was getting the lap and crotch belts with a hole not a clip, Steve called Crow about that and they are sending me a set but I had to pay the shipping, need them real soon. I do not have to send the other belts back. So I going to try these with the existing bolts and holes.

I have the bar ready to install but now need to wait on the belts. I have new pads and rotors on the car and have not even bedded them in yet! It's always something ::)

Yes, retired life seems very hard. I hope to get there and have these same problems :)

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:

Steve is having Crow send me the bolt ends as well. Let me know what you come up with for a bolt length since we'll need a longer bolt than the factory.

I am not sure they will need to be longer, if so I will connect my factory belts just to turn off the dinger then run without the factory belts connected. I think the bolts will be long enough at least at the rocker. If it does need something different, after Daytona I can figure it out.

I installed the roll bar, what a biznitch get the support bars back in. My friend and I spent hours getting them lined up and we tighten the hell out of the two support bar bolts before welding. After all that they still moved quite a bit from the heat and it was not fun getting all four bolts in again. Cost me about four hours lining them up and two knuckles but it is finally in.

Oh and it might help to pick up a few 3/8 x 16 at 1 1/4 inch length. It is easier to start the first two with them, then tighten the crap out of all 16 bolts and replace the longer bolts one at a time with the 3/4 length. If not they stick out quite a bit.

2012YellowBoss said:
I am not sure they will need to be longer, if so I will connect my factory belts just to turn off the dinger then run without the factory belts connected. I think the bolts will be long enough at least at the rocker. If it does need something different, after Daytona I can figure it out.

I installed the roll bar, what a biznitch get the support bars back in. My friend and I spent hours getting them lined up and we tighten the hell out of the two support bar bolts before welding. After all that they still moved quite a bit from the heat and it was not fun getting all four bolts in again. Cost me about four hours lining them up and two knuckles but it is finally in.
I guess I just wasn't sure if it would lose too much bite if we don't get a longer bolt. Yea I had enough fun getting them all lined up the first time so will be interesting to see how much they move when welded.

2012YellowBoss said:
Oh and it might help to pick up a few 3/8 x 16 at 1 1/4 inch length. It is easier to start the first two with them, then tighten the crap out of all 16 bolts and replace the longer bolts one at a time with the 3/4 length. If not they stick out quite a bit.
I did grab a couple 2" bolts that I thought I might need to get the one main hoop bracket pulled down. I can use them to start the holes.

I cut my interior trim panels tonight and put the connecting plates on them. I think my wife thought it was funny that I was cutting up my brand new car :eek:

Think we burned that bridge a few exits back ::) Gonna try to get some charcoal carpet and fabricate something, just need to find the carpet without buying an expensive trunk mat or something like that.

On the bolts, the one in the seat I would worry about more, however I do not think there is much room in there for a longer bolt. Need to look closer tomorrow.

How much foam did you get? I got two. I guess I will go with the harness bar and the vertical hoop bar between the harness bar and the bend to the roof. I do not think putting it on the vertical hoop bar to the floor helps anything and the area along the roof is too close to wrap it?

2012YellowBoss said:
Think we burned that bridge a few exits back ::) Gonna try to get some charcoal carpet and fabricate something, just need to find the carpet without buying an expensive trunk mat or something like that.

On the bolts, the one in the seat I would worry about more, however I do not think there is much room in there for a longer bolt. Need to look closer tomorrow.

How much foam did you get? I got two. I guess I will go with the harness bar and the vertical hoop bar between the harness bar and the bend to the roof. I do not think putting it on the vertical hoop bar to the floor helps anything and the area along the roof is too close to wrap it?
We talked it through and he said really no foam needed since it sits so far behind you. On top of that I sit way forward in the car.

OK, I was thinking the same but Monty brought up you arms flailing around in a roll. I too sit far forward but will use what I ordered. I guess the Miller cars were only wrapped around the door bars.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Gonna slap a new girdle on the old (New ? ;D ) gal. Thanks for 5DOT0 on the heads up for the Redline lightweight shockproof oil.

Diff_Girdle.jpg

Pete are you going to add a diff cooler?

drano38

Wayne
Does that cover fit w/ the factory panhard bar?
Any opinions on cooling with it vs the factory cover with fins?
Not saying your decision isn't correct, but some forum threads I've read say some after market covers won't fit with factory bars. But maybe Ford built theirs to work.
And I do like the drain/fill plugs. May have to drill/tap my cover like Rick.

TMO Supporting Vendors