The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I thought about the diff cooler, Rehegan makes one based on this girdle:

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/product.sc?productId=753&categoryId=14

As far as clearances, it should fit with no problem. It's not a 3'rd party item it's made by Ford through Ford Racing and was a 'match' for the rear end.

I gained the drain plug but lost the cooling fins. Not sure if this girdle will dissipate as much heat the stock unit with the fins, but then again I'm not wheel to wheel racing the LS. The longest run she'll see is 30 minutes at a clip.

Looks good Scott. Are you going to pick up some side panels from a wreck? I cut my stock ones up already. While my car is still very very streetable with the stock suspension and retaining the factory restraints, I figure I'll never take the roll bar out so might as well finish it off. I'm thinking the trim pieces are probably the same for any 2005+ Mustang. I need to wrap this up in the next couple days but it's been busy so probably not until this weekend.

PeteInCT said:
I thought about the diff cooler, Rehegan makes one based on this girdle:

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/product.sc?productId=753&categoryId=14

As far as clearances, it should fit with no problem. It's not a 3'rd party item it's made by Ford through Ford Racing and was a 'match' for the rear end.

I gained the drain plug but lost the cooling fins. Not sure if this girdle will dissipate as much heat the stock unit with the fins, but then again I'm not wheel to wheel racing the LS. The longest run she'll see is 30 minutes at a clip.
Thanks for the link Pete. I haven't seen this. Interesting that the cooling issue has now been acknowledged at least. I guess we were the guinea pigs, which is understandable being first out of the box. What exactly is "extended track use"? I thought we didn't need a diff cooler for HPDE 30 min or less sessions?

• During extended track sessions in extreme temperatures or
conditions, your Boss 302 may require additional engine cooling
actions. If the water temperature warning light illuminates, return to
the paddock and let the vehicle return to normal operating
temperature while idling before turning the engine off. Prior to the
next session, remove your Boss 302’s upper grille from the front
fascia. This will allow more cooling air to the radiator and allow the
car to run extended sessions in extreme heat. Visit fordracing.com for
additional parts to further enhance the powertrain cooling on your
Boss 302.
• For extended track use, Ford recommends installing a rear differential
cooler to improve rear axle cooling.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Cloud,

"For extended track use, Ford recommends installing a rear differential cooler to improve rear axle cooling."

Rehagen actually sells 2 kits, a Standard ($1159) and a Pro ($1569). Looks like the difference is the size of the cooling init itself. Maybe the pump is different also. The M-4033-G3 girdle that I have is the same girdle that Rehagen is using in this kits, sans the additional tapping for the heat sensor, etc.

My assumption (which is where problems ALWAYS start) is that for 30 min HPDE runs you should not need that level of cooling. I could think of better places to drop $1.5 ;D

All that said, I'm somwhat concerned about the M-4033-G3 girdle. Per the description of the unit:

• Low profile design to fit the 2005-2013 Mustang GT, 2007-2013 Shelby GT500, 2012-2013 BOSS 302
  • Designed to clear the panhard rod on 2005+ S197 Mustangs and Shelby GT500
  • Also fits 1986-2004 Mustang GT. Will not fit IRS Cobras
  • Lightweight 356 T6 aluminum casting replaces rear cover on 8.8" rear axle
  • Load bolts provide additional support for differential bearing caps
  • Increase ring and pinion gear life

with the last 2 points making me think that I have some additional gains as well as the fact that I a drain plug to make replacing the fluid easier. However, I do lose the cooling fins. The questions in my mind are:

• Are even the fins needed for non-race applications?
  • Does the lightweight alloy nature of this unit help to make up for any possible heat dispersion capability inefficiencies as compared to the stock unit (with fins)?

The unit is a true "Ford Racing performance part", does that give it any additional credability? The unit also has adjustable load bolts that make contact with the differential bearing caps. I don't believe this exists on the stock unit. Additional gain for this design? Don't know...

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/fordinstshtm-4033-g2.pdf

The whole musclecar thing is new to me, especially with Ford. I've been immersed in Audi/Porsche through two S4's and a TTS that I built out to the hilt. None of those puppies had a rear end like the LS ;D, nor where so many parts avalable for upgrades. T

I think these 8.8s are pretty stout. I am putting down 640rwhp/625rwtq in the GT500 and have drag raced it and tracked it quite a bit. I don't have the cooling fins on that diff and in fact have the Griggs cover for the Watts Link which is a little shallower than stock. I haven't grenaded it yet and have 33k miles on it over 4 years. I've definitely worked it. That said, I'm not familiar with the durability of the Torsen as this is my first. I'm thinking the diff cooler for $1500 is a little spendy for HPDE days too.

PeteInCT said:
  • The questions in my mind are:
    • Are even the fins needed for non-race applications?
    • Does the lightweight alloy nature of this unit help to make up for any possible heat dispersion capability inefficiencies as compared to the stock unit (with fins)?
  • A couple members and I met with Ford Racing at the LS Grand Am race this past summer. We were told the aluminum diff cover with cooling fins (compared to a stock GT cover) cooled the diff 10-15 degrees depending on conditions. We were also told a diff cooler was not needed for most people tracking their cars. For racing it was recommended. I have no idea what cooling benefits there are with the cover you purchased.

cloud9 said:
Looks good Scott. Are you going to pick up some side panels from a wreck? I cut my stock ones up already. While my car is still very very streetable with the stock suspension and retaining the factory restraints, I figure I'll never take the roll bar out so might as well finish it off. I'm thinking the trim pieces are probably the same for any 2005+ Mustang. I need to wrap this up in the next couple days but it's been busy so probably not until this weekend.

I would rather make some kind of molded carpeted cover to go over the sides. If I can't find anything I will go with a set of stock panels to cut up.

I can quit anytime I want to ::)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Tnx 5DOT0 - I just spoke with Ford Racing Tech Support. He said the M-4033-G3 girdle was more than adequate for non-competative racing applications and did have benefits over stock (non-temp related, I did not get into details).

One side note as a guy coming off of a number of European performace cars and my first US one - the whole Boss 302 experience justs keeps getting better every day. Not only do I have access to a plethora of MANUFACTURER SPONSORED performance parts and a VERY REASONABLE PRICE, but I can call a phone number and get a knowledgeable tech on the line to answer specific tech questions WITHOUT EVEN BEING PUT ON HOLD. This is totally unheard of in German car land as far as I know. Not sure if it's specific to Ford or not, but if it is then Chevy has a big hill to climb.

Case in point, I cross threaded a wheel bolt when putting on my 'wet/winter storage' tires over the weekend. The ability for me to go online, find the part, order it for about $3 per bolt and get it here in 3 days is totally unheard of from where I came from. I'd have to go to the dealer, have the parts deptartment spend 30 minutes identifying the correct part number, wait a weke for it to come in and probably pay $25 for a single bolt.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Guys if you are interested in a diff cooler, I would sit tight until we see how much the system from the 2013 GT500 will be once it hits FRPP. It's made to work with the diff cover we have on our cars (although we need to drill and tap the bosses in the cover, as some have already done for drain holes).

PeteInCT said:
Tnx 5DOT0 - I just spoke with Ford Racing Tech Support. He said the M-4033-G3 girdle was more than adequate for non-competative racing applications and did have benefits over stock (non-temp related, I did not get into details).

One side note as a guy coming off of a number of European performace cars and my first US one - the whole Boss 302 experience justs keeps getting better every day. Not only do I have access to a plethora of MANUFACTURER SPONSORED performance parts and a VERY REASONABLE PRICE, but I can call a phone number and get a knowledgeable tech on the line to answer specific tech questions WITHOUT EVEN BEING PUT ON HOLD. This is totally unheard of in German car land as far as I know. Not sure if it's specific to Ford or not, but if it is then Chevy has a big hill to climb.

Case in point, I cross threaded a wheel bolt when putting on my 'wet/winter storage' tires over the weekend. The ability for me to go online, find the part, order it for about $3 per bolt and get it here in 3 days is totally unheard of from where I came from. I'd have to go to the dealer, have the parts deptartment spend 30 minutes identifying the correct part number, wait a weke for it to come in and probably pay $25 for a single bolt.
Yep the whole buying experience has been terrific for me. As previously mentioned a member from Ford Racing offered to meet with several members here and spent almost two hours with us discussing the differences between the street and race cars and providing insight into the development of both. Both Ford and Ford Racing are active on several forums and that shows their commitment to their products. Hard to beat service like that.

I’ve owned two Porsche’s and looked at a couple of used 07/08 C4 S’s and GT3’s. I really needed a back seat so my search for a Porsche didn’t last long. I have absolutely no regrets about my decision and I’m continually impressed with the quality and performance of my Boss. It’s been two decades since I last purchased a new Ford vehicle, a 1991 Taurus SHO. It won’t be that long until I buy another new Ford.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ford has made a strong commitment to year-over-year improvement of their vehicles since 2000, and with MY2005 they really started to get their act together with modern style. Keep up the good work!

A friend of mine came over today and helped me finish up my roll bar. It came out really good. He has a brand new Sparco race seat that I'm going to buy from him since he decided not to put one on his passenger side. We'll work on installing the harness lap belt and sub belt eye bolts next. I may try to get it in for the hood next week if the weather cooperates. We got about an inch of snow yesterday but it's mostly gone from the main streets and they didn't have to salt. Here are some pics. Sorry about the low light, but it's trapped inside the garage for now......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PeteInCT

Connecticut
My rear end with M-4033-G3 FRPP girdle installed. Additional support point for bearing caps (left one) is visble at center of the girdle. I used Redline lightweight shockproof oil (Thanks 5 DOT 0).

rear_diff.jpg

One think that I learned is that the stock girdle has the axle vent tube mounted on the top of the girdle itself and the rear axle has a dummy plug where the axle vent tube would normally be mounted on the GT AND GT500's (per the PDF illustrations on the Ford Parts website. Unfortunatley thay don't have any online info specific the the Boss 302/Boss 302LS that I can find). The instructions from FRPP for the installation on the M-4033-G3 FRPP girdle make no mention of the axle vent tube, but obviously one is still needed. Luckily the one used on the top of the stock girdle has the same threads as the mount point on the left rear axle (circled in photo). I believe it may be actually the same part, PN #4022 on the Ford parts website. I will check with Ford Racing tech support today just to confirm.

TMO Supporting Vendors