The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well it's a beautiful surprising 60F today 8) Going to take the Boss out for one last shove after Thanksgiving dinner and tuck it away for the winter. While the Southern folk continue to enjoy their Bosses, I'll try to stay entertained making mine better for its spring reemergence. I have a bunch of boxes sitting in the garage and will get started tomorrow. It's hard to say how fast I'll get this all done, since I'm in no hurry at this point ;)

MM 4 point roll bar with welded harness bar and additional diagonal bracing
Shrader Performance rear seat delete kit
Crow 6 point harnesses
2.5 lb fire extinghuisher and universal mount
Hans device
Tiger Racing hood and hood pins

My garage won't be quite as warm as Scott's so will only be working on it when temps are at least double digits outside ;D

adam81 said:
It sounds like mod 1 should be a space heater.....
Already done Tuesday night! ;D I also picked up some metal grommets and put them in some old blankets to hang over the doorway and passthrough window to my 3rd stall to keep the heat contained 8)

I'll post up some pics of what we talked about but just so you know I was not working in the garage, I was outside in the sun ;D

I did not get a chance to work on it today but the bar looks to be a very easy install. The door bars and cutting up the rear quarters look to be the most time consuming projects and I am not doing either of them.

I really want to try out the driveshaft next.

Hey Cloud9, How cold does it get in your neck of the woods the during the winter? Where I am in Ct the extreme is single digits at night & twenties during the day. This weekend is expected to be in the mid to upper 50's....more miles on my BOSS to say the least........................

302BOB said:
Hey Cloud9, How cold does it get in your neck of the woods the during the winter? Where I am in Ct the extreme is single digits at night & twenties during the day. This weekend is expected to be in the mid to upper 50's....more miles on my BOSS to say the least........................
It was 65 today 8) which is probably 20-30 degrees above normal. During December 20s for a high is "normal" and single digits at night. Jan-Feb is a little colder and below zero temps will happen once or twice at least.....sometimes double digit below zero. A lot of it depends on snow pack. So far NO SNOW......well we had a dusting I posted in that pic, but it only lasted a couple days. The difference between snow and no snow is probably 15-20 degrees. Every day without snow is one less day of winter :D

cloud9 said:
302BOB said:
It was 65 today 8) which is probably 20-30 degrees above normal for SE SD. During December 20s for a high is "normal" and single digits at night. Jan-Feb is a little colder and below zero temps will happen once or twice at least.....sometimes double digit below zero. A lot of it depends on snow pack. So far NO SNOW......well we had a dusting I posted in that pic, but it only lasted a couple days. The difference between snow and no snow is probably 15-20 degrees. Every day without snow is one less day of winter :D

2012YellowBoss said:
I'll post up some pics of what we talked about but just so you know I was not working in the garage, I was outside in the sun ;D

I did not get a chance to work on it today but the bar looks to be a very easy install. The door bars and cutting up the rear quarters look to be the most time consuming projects and I am not doing either of them.

I really want to try out the driveshaft next.
LOL nice. I just went and looked at my friend's install today with the side panels cut and the rear seat delete. It looked killer. Definitely going to be powdercoating it black.

Will be interested in hearing about the driveshaft.

cloud9 said:
It was 65 today 8) which is probably 20-30 degrees above normal. During December 20s for a high is "normal" and single digits at night. Jan-Feb is a little colder and below zero temps will happen once or twice at least.....sometimes double digit below zero. A lot of it depends on snow pack. So far NO SNOW......well we had a dusting I posted in that pic, but it only lasted a couple days. The difference between snow and no snow is probably 15-20 degrees. Every day without snow is one less day of winter :D
Yikes! :eek:

cloud9 said:
LOL nice. I just went and looked at my friend's install today with the side panels cut and the rear seat delete. It looked killer. Definitely going to be powdercoating it black.

Will be interested in hearing about the driveshaft.

Powdercoating is the way to go, I want to get it in this week so I am going to paint it with a friend from the bodyshop, at least I am not doing it with a spray can! I will leave my interior quarter panels alone for now and keep an eye out for a deal off a wreck or something like that. For now the worst will be a little more road noise.

Prep work is almost done. I will be ready to send off for welding and powder coating tomorrow. I ended up with a net increase of 17 lbs after removing the rear seat belts and doing the rear seat delete kit. My Tiger hood is going to be 8 lbs less so I can get back to zero after pulling the fix a flat kit. ;D

drano38

Wayne
Here's my winter Boss project. Got put up in the last couple weeks. Wiring will be complete Monday. Then insulation and OSB the inside.
Gary, give me a couple weeks, and it will be heated if you need a warm place to work. ;)
Need to start getting my mods prioritized. Random list - wheel lugs, track tires/rims, GPS lap timer, Steeda Boss springs, tow hooks, MGW shifter.
20111126135733.jpg

drano38

Wayne
I've got 4 vehicles now, so my 2 stall garage doesn't cut it. My wife and I both like our vehicles inside. The contractor said no one ever complains a garage is too big. So went with 30x44'. That 20' door is huge, but keeps cars from being crammed together.
I could park 6 Mustangs in there fairly easy--so I better keep buying. ;D
But in the mean time, stacks of track tires (still deciding), trailer (got it--sitting on far side in photo), etc, etc will make a good home in it.
Next summer I'll add a water softener and small water heater to wash cars. I've currently got hot and cold soft water on the side of my house, and its the greatest way to wash a car.
My 111 year old house came with almost a 1/2 city block, so plenty of room to build.
Looking forward to finishing it up, and moving the ponies over to the new coral.

Winter parts list:

TR CF hood
Aluminum driveshaft
302s grille
Air to oil oil separator
Track wheels
Long wheel studs
4 point bolt in cage
6 point harnesses
Lighter Seats
H pipe back exhaust
Aeroforce gauge in vent
Maybe some other stuff.......

drano38 said:
My 111 year old house came with almost a 1/2 city block, so plenty of room to build.
Looking forward to finishing it up, and moving the ponies over to the new coral.

Cool, wish were neighbors ;D

I have always said all I need is a 6 car garage with attached kitchen, bathroom and a small room to fit a bed. Even if I just have an open trailer I wish I could store it inside, much less maintenance on the paint and it would help protect the winch. My poor winch looks like it 10 years old already in the FL sun.

TMO Supporting Vendors