The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally getting around to my winter mods. Working on my Maximum Motorsports roll bar, harnesses and seat delete now. Have most of the interior out already. Test fitting the new bar is next.

ARP wheel studs are next on the list.

I'll get a few pics up later.

Still need to order track wheels and tires and decide if I'm installing a new clutch or swapping transmissions.

Brad

CrazyHorse1847 said:
Finally getting around to my winter mods. Working on my Maximum Motorsports roll bar, harnesses and seat delete now. Have most of the interior out already. Test fitting the new bar is next.

ARP wheel studs are next on the list.

I'll get a few pics up later.

Still need to order track wheels and tires and decide if I'm installing a new clutch or swapping transmissions.

Brad

Nice stable, love your 70 Boss!

Looks good! Memories of last winter :) Pete it's not too bad at all. I was even able to do most of it. A friend helped me with lining up and drilling the rear fender holes. We also had to use his tap to get a couple of the main bolts lined up on the gussets by the B pillar. You do need an extra set of hands to get it in and out of the car when fitting it up and then when bolting it in place.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Looks good! Memories of last winter :) Pete it's not too bad at all. I was even able to do most of it. A friend helped me with lining up and drilling the rear fender holes. We also had to use his tap to get a couple of the main bolts lined up on the gussets by the B pillar. You do need an extra set of hands to get it in and out of the car when fitting it up and then when bolting it in place.

Are you saying I eat too much pasta ? ;D

PeteInCT said:
Very nice ! How difficult is it to get that roll bar in ?

-Pete

I would say the biggest pain is just having to fit it in to mark the back holes and then taking it back out. Then you have to put it back in to mark the front holes and tighten up the back bars before welding. Then pull it all out again for paint or powdercoating.

I had trouble deciding between the MM bar and the Cooltech one. Ultimately for me it came down to the fact that this one is NHRA legal with the straight rear bars and the Cooltech isn't. I will hit the drag strip a few times each year and should be running fast enough I will be required to have a roll bar.

Here is a link to an install video done by CJ Pony parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C8znqNFX5HM

Finished the roll bar and seat delete install a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy with the finished product. I'll post some pics later.

Guess the rest of my mods are actually going to end up being springtime mods. ;)

Just picked up a Tremec Magnum XL and McLeod RXT clutch.

Will hopefully start the install next week.

05UPMAGNUM_zpsd675f21a.jpg

mcleodrxt_zpsb81cbfc9.jpg

CrazyHorse1847 said:
Finished the roll bar and seat delete install a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy with the finished product. I'll post some pics later.

Guess the rest of my mods are actually going to end up being springtime mods. ;)

Just picked up a Tremec Magnum XL and McLeod RXT clutch.

Will hopefully start the install next week.

05UPMAGNUM_zpsd675f21a.jpg

mcleodrxt_zpsb81cbfc9.jpg
Very nice 8) looking forward to your review.

Here are several pics of the roll bar. It's the Maximum Motorsports bar with removable door bars. I don't have the upper bolts installed in the pics. Also installed the Cooltech/Crow harnesses, mounting brackets and the Schrader Performance rear seat delete kit. I took out the rear seatbelts also, but left the stock front ones in place.

DSC00005_zps0d4520cd.jpg

DSC00007_zps138fc275.jpg

DSC00008_zps86750291.jpg

DSC00010_zps9315e4df.jpg

DSC00012_zps054eb94a.jpg

DSC00013_zps68609f40.jpg

DSC00014_zpsc5c475b9.jpg

Door bars have just enough room that they don't rub on the seat or door panel.
DSC00017_zps62dfed45.jpg

DSC00018_zpsc7f431f0.jpg

This pic is with the drivers seat in the position I use while driving around town. Usually have it a notch or two closer at the track. (FWIW I'm 6'3")
DSC00019_zpsad14097f.jpg

DSC00020_zpsf08e2a4f.jpg

DSC00022_zpsaf127027.jpg

Pic of the front mounting point for door bar on the drivers side. Had to cut the carpet a bit.
DSC00024_zps96a673a6.jpg

From the drivers seat looking into the mirror.
DSC00030_zpsafc0cc7d.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors