The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Racing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So in CO, they just posted the V1 of the winter season for SCCA out here. We also have a separate second series that may run this winter as well. October to Feb/March. I have kept the R71s on for street driving, and when it gets below 50?at night they start getting slick. I expect we will have a bunch of cold days.

So, what does the collective find works for colder weather track days from a tire perspective? I have my stock 17s with all seasons, but they aren't very good at race pace in the heat, so doubt they will be useful in the cold.

Also, any other changes for cold weather racing?

Highs are 60s down to 40s across the winter. This is when I will reevaluate my decision of the Mustang over a WRX :) ...........

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've run at Pueblo (PMP) in the spring before in sleet and temps around freezing and used the RE71s and it was slicker than snot. Especially when you turn onto the front straightaway which doubles for a quarter mile runway. The Michelin PS4S wasn't any better. I haven't tried anything else as it was all I had at the tyme.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I've had good luck using performance all-seasons in colder weather autocrosses in a variety of cars. All the 200TW and R-comp tires turn to rocks at temps around 55-60F. With a longer session on track, you may be able to get & keep heat in a tire at 55-60, but it may prove challenging. At 40F, there's no way I'd be on an R-Comp, the rubber compound just isn't designed for temps that cold, and you could even damage the carcass.

If I'm spending other people's money, I'd be looking at https://chickenhawkracing.com/ but it would still be a battle trying to keep heat in the tire for a session.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel