The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

winter tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
not that i would drive the boss in the snow, but the pirelli's are horrible even in the mere cold, has anyone here done snow/winter tires? I am considering it.... idea's a set of 18" rims and some bliztaks?

A set of dedicated winter tires, like the Blizaks, are better than even a AWD car on all-seasons in the ice and snow. But if you aren't actually going to drive in ice and snow, you don't need them. Get a set of all-seasons. They'll last longer and be more useful.

i did a tirerack package 18s and blizzaks 255s all around. car was fine in new england winter. but if you aren't driving in snow I wouldn't bother.

Brandon302 said:
For anything except snow I would go for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS for all seasons.

This, and a set of cheap wheels in case you curb them. This is what I have on my car now, and the breaking in the wet works well.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I am running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and they out grip the pirellis in all areas and even do decent in light snow. I highly recommend them.

I went with Pirelli Sottozero 240's in 255/45/18, paired with SVE Drifts in 18x9.5.

I chose the Pirelli's over the Blizzaks, because the Pirellis were designed with handling in mind, which are listed as Performance Winter tires.

The Blizzaks had square edges compared to the rounded edges of the Pirellis. However, the Blizzaks probably grip better than the Pirellis in snowy/icy conditions. But my major concerns were low temps and mild snow/ice.

Another dictating factor when I chose these tires was that the boss was my DD and I had to drive it all year round. So, I didn't want to sacrifice too much handling in the winter.

But for what you're looking for, you might get a better use out of decent all-season tires.

F.D. Sako said:
I went with Pirelli Sottozero 240's in 255/45/18, paired with SVE Drifts in 18x9.5.

I chose the Pirelli's over the Blizzaks, because the Pirellis were designed with handling in mind, which are listed as Performance Winter tires.

The Blizzaks had square edges compared to the rounded edges of the Pirellis. However, the Blizzaks probably grip better than the Pirellis in snowy/icy conditions. But my major concerns were low temps and mild snow/ice.

Another dictating factor when I chose these tires was that the boss was my DD and I had to drive it all year round. So, I didn't want to sacrifice too much handling in the winter.

But for what you're looking for, you might get a better use out of decent all-season tires.
Just trying to understand the logic. I am not the most competent snowy weather driver but can get from A to B, but what do you mean by performance in the snow? For example I bought the DWS because they are supposed to be good year round, not very bad in the snow also. I have tracked them and they do well. I just get this image in my head of you driving as you would on a 60 degree sunny day but in the snow.

To the guys with the winter tires...where do you live?
Better question: Does your city use salt on the roads to deal with the snow accumulation?

I park my Boss in the winter but once upon a time, did consider getting snows. Thought the better of it and just parked it inside

Brandon302 said:
Just trying to understand the logic. I am not the most competent snowy weather driver but can get from A to B, but what do you mean by performance in the snow? For example I bought the DWS because they are supposed to be good year round, not very bad in the snow also. I have tracked them and they do well. I just get this image in my head of you driving as you would on a 60 degree sunny day but in the snow.

There's a tire category out there that is called performance winter, which doesn't offer as much snow grip as the usual winter tire, but compromises less in handling. In my situation, we don't get alot of snow here in MD, so we usually have the low temps and rain. Since I DD'd the boss, I wanted tires that offered good handling, but still could withstand the low temps and the occasional snow.

here's a pic of the BLizzak LM-60 and the Pirelli Sottozero 240. You can see the outer threads are rounded on the Pirelli, and kind of square on the Blizzaks. That makes a noticeable difference in handling.

And no, I dont drive like it's sunny out in the snow lol!

bs_blizzak_lm60_ci2_l.jpg

pi_winter_240_sottozero_ci2_l.jpg

Boro, I've seen MD use both salt and sand to with snow. I've even had to pass the trucks that distribute the rock hard salt, which bombarded my car.. twice! luckily I got no scratches or dents.

My logic for driving the boss in the winter is that I still have a loan on the car. Might as well enjoy it year round, instead of letting it sit while I pay for it. Also, I dont have a garage lol.

FD Sako,
Your logic is sound.
I'm fortunate that my Boss is paid off, but regardless...I do miss it very much during the colder months!
How is your gearbox in the cold? For mine, even in the summer time I have to be very careful shifting for about the first 5 minutes or I'll grind some synchros.
I actually double clutch for the first few minutes from a cold start until the tranny gets up to temp :D

What's interesting is that I found if I let the car sit and warm up on it's own, the exhaust heats up the tranny enough that I can start driving with no grinds as an alternative.

F.D. Sako said:
There's a tire category out there that is called performance winter, which doesn't offer as much snow grip as the usual winter tire, but compromises less in handling. In my situation, we don't get alot of snow here in MD, so we usually have the low temps and rain. Since I DD'd the boss, I wanted tires that offered good handling, but still could withstand the low temps and the occasional snow.

here's a pic of the BLizzak LM-60 and the Pirelli Sottozero 240. You can see the outer threads are rounded on the Pirelli, and kind of square on the Blizzaks. That makes a noticeable difference in handling.

And no, I dont drive like it's sunny out in the snow lol!

bs_blizzak_lm60_ci2_l.jpg

pi_winter_240_sottozero_ci2_l.jpg

Boro, I've seen MD use both salt and sand to with snow. I've even had to pass the trucks that distribute the rock hard salt, which bombarded my car.. twice! luckily I got no scratches or dents.

My logic for driving the boss in the winter is that I still have a loan on the car. Might as well enjoy it year round, instead of letting it sit while I pay for it. Also, I dont have a garage lol.

I get what you mean now. I am in Crofton so I know that, other then today which was short lived, we don't get really any snow. I did the same basic math and came up with the Conti DWS since I assumed it wouldn't snow, and thankfully I haven't been made an ass yet, fingers still crossed.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
I had the DWS's on my Mini and they weren't that great in the snow. Keep in mind that was a different car. I ended up getting a set of Blizzaks for it and they were amazing.
Now, I am still on the fence about keeping my Boss and if I do, I need a set of all seasons. Michelin's are the front runner if I stick with the staggered 19's. If I go 18" square, I am gonna get a set of 275/35-18 Toyo Proxes 4's

How horrible of an idea is it to go square with all seasons if you end up seeing snow? I only ask because I would like to run 285's so I can rotate them, might look silly on the stock rims but if it allows me to even out the tire wear then I am fine with it.

Brandon302 said:
How horrible of an idea is it to go square with all seasons if you end up seeing snow? I only ask because I would like to run 285's so I can rotate them, might look silly on the stock rims but if it allows me to even out the tire wear then I am fine with it.

If you end up seeing snow, why not go square 255 or narrower?
I would not run 285s in the snow--good winter tires or not. If we're talking strictly winter setups, definitely go with narrow rubbers. And yes, agreed that square would probably work out fine.

boro92 said:
If you end up seeing snow, why not go square 255 or narrower?
I would not run 285s in the snow--good winter tires or not. If we're talking strictly winter setups, definitely go with narrow rubbers. And yes, agreed that square would probably work out fine.

I already have 285's in the back, just wanted to even them out. I guess it isn't an awful idea since I can always work from home should the need arise. I wanted to go with all seasons since like F.D said, doesn't snow but maybe a few times each year. Feel like I thread jacked, which I apologize for.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
I ended up letting her hybernate for the winter... and what a winter it was.... My wife has an explorer sport for the white stuff...

Btw i can't get this forum on tapatalk anymore...

For what its worth, I bought the Pirellis snow, and found them very nice in the wet and light snow. I live in NJ and don't want to get stuck in bad weather, although I don't use the car if snowing. They handle well enough and good ride. I have two seasons on them and doing well.

I don't know about you other Md guys, But last winter SUCKED! I have to DD my car up RT100 into Howard County, and when its time for work, I HAVE to go. No excuse. But i'm also thinking about getting a second set of tires/ rims for track/ and all season. And for what its worth, the stockers got me from point A to point B every time, plowed or not. Just turn off the T/C, put it in 3rd gear, keep the RPMS low and hope you don't have to stop, lol.

BTW, they have said this winter will be just as sucky. Ill get that second set soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors