The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Warm Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesterday, those of us in eastern PA got a sunny and "warm" day (~45F). So, I hooked up batteries and exercised both Mustangs. I have found that the best way to prevent dead batteries in the winter is to simply unhook them completely. I just leave them in the cars.

Since I have always lived in a four season state, winter storage has always been important. Keeping things lubed up being #1. I always try to start my stored cars once every 3-4 weeks during winter and move/drive them a little bit to roll the tires around. Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate and I end up sticking the rears out of the garage and watch the snow melt from the water dripping out the exhaust. I always bring the cars up to normal operating temperature and run the heater before putting them back to "bed."

Anyway, I though I would start a turn over thread for those of us in the north dealing with winter. I did not search for an old thread to add to, sorry if I am duplicating efforts. I plan on adding to the thread every time I turn over the cars. Feel free to chime in and follow along!

Those of you in the south can continue laughing at us in the north and enjoying your rides! ;D

We've got a wet and "cold" day here in NorCal (~45F). While I had hoped to break out my GT350 for a local drive it's not going to happen today and there is rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. We need it so bring it on.

I typically let my GT350 (Boss when I owned it) warm up to 120 degrees on the CHT before driving it and keep the RPM's below 3,000 until it's at normal operating temp above 180. With the oil line recall I'm not driving mine much until it's fixed. I don't want this to happen. ::)

GT350R%20on%20fire%207.00.36%20PM_zpsmtfmgcnm.png

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
When any of my cars sit for over a week, I prime the engine oil by matting the gas pedal and cranking for 20-30 seconds. Flooring the pedal prevents ignition and lifting lets the engine fire.

I do keep my battery hooked up on the Boss and frequently on the charger at this time of year. Good driving weather is never that far away here.

This is a timely topic. Don't worry about starting a new thread. :)

Have not had my Boss out since the end of Oct.I try to get it out a couple times over the winter, but we have snow and -7 in B.C. right now. I push it back and forward in the garage to prevent flat spots. I recommend a battery tender,I plug it in when ever the car sits for more than a week.I shall do that oil priming next time I start her up,thanks for that tip.

Grant 302 said:
When any of my cars sit for over a week, I prime the engine oil by matting the gas pedal and cranking for 20-30 seconds. Flooring the pedal prevents ignition and lifting lets the engine fire.
I do keep my battery hooked up on the Boss and frequently on the charger at this time of year. Good driving weather is never that far away here.
This is a timely topic. Don't worry about starting a new thread. :)

I do that routine to my drag car as well every week. I turn the starter over for about 60 seconds (no fire) while the oil pressure comes up 30 - 45 psi (analog gauge). This keeps the same valve springs from being compressed all winter and allows oil to coat everything again and lets the battery run down enough to keep the trickle charger working. Years ago I would start my 68 Mustang and let it idle to normal temperature and it rusted the flow master mufflers out in less than 3 years without putting more than 2k miles on them.

Tim

So I turned over the cars today. I tried the priming procedure mentioned by Grant 302. I was a little nervous but it worked! Cool!

I got both cars out for a short drive to warm them up to operating temperature and then put them back away.

I bought a set of cheapo rims and micheline alpine snow tires and happily drive the car in up to a couple inches of snow. Yeah I know "salt, blah, blah". I don't care. If in 20 years time the car dissolves in a cloud.of rust so be it, at least we'll have had a lot of fun.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

It was 45 degrees in eastern PA yesterday. I warmed up the cars.

I wish I could drive mine year around. Kudos to you, Rick. You are more brave than me. Between daycare drop offs and our salt white roads, I employ my F150 for daily duties. Enjoy!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel