The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

winterizing our Boss: best way - your way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know it is sad to already think about this, but with Pzeros or Corsas for summer only, RWD, and that much power its a matter of weeks before we have to do it at least for those of us in the northern states :(

I read countless advices lately and .... all seem to differ ! from the overdoers ( jacks stands, wrap entire car in plastic, flush and replaced all fluids, removing sparks plugs and spray....etc) to the underdoers (stabil and overinflate tires).

not withstanding the big debate: starting it up once in a while OR NOT (run it once in a while to prevent seals from drying out, OR never attempt to start it to prevent condensation and moisture from rusting out the innards)

what do you plan to do?

rom said:
I know it is sad to already think about this, but with Pzeros or Corsas for summer only, RWD, and that much power its a matter of weeks before we have to do it at least for those of us in the northern states :(

I read countless advices lately and .... all seem to differ ! from the overdoers ( jacks stands, wrap entire car in plastic, flush and replaced all fluids, removing sparks plugs and spray....etc) to the underdoers (stabil and overinflate tires).

not withstanding the big debate: starting it up once in a while OR NOT (run it once in a while to prevent seals from drying out, OR never attempt to start it to prevent condensation and moisture from rusting out the innards)

what do you plan to do?
Same thing I've done every year. Stabil in a full tank of gas, battery tender connected to the battery, car cover on in the garage and don't start it until spring. Also, all r-compound tires lowered to 1/2 pressure in the spare bedroom downstairs (my wife hates that part ;D)

Gary, I am new to the R tires, are you keeping them from getting cold? Seeing you are putting them in a bedroom and 1/2 pressure. Keeping the Boss in a heated garage would be ok. Thanks

KYBOSSLS said:
Gary, I am new to the R tires, are you keeping them from getting cold? Seeing are you putting them in a bedroom and 1/2 pressure. Keeping the Boss in a heated garage would be ok. Thanks
R-compound tires are not to be driven under any circumstances below freezing as they can crack and catastrophically fail. They are also not supposed to be stored below freezing as they may develop cracks which could later fail during use. Every manufacturer has guidelines on their storage, use and handling in cold weather. Here are a couple that I use:

Hoosier:
FREEZE WARNING

Freeze Crack Advisory: This advisory addresses proper storage and use of Hoosier tires in cold conditions. Hoosier Tires, especially asphalt and hard compound tires, may experience Rubber Cracking if the tires are transported, crushed, flexed or stressed when frozen. The following guidelines are provided to avoid this problem.
1. Always store Hoosier Racing Tires indoors at temperatures above 32° F.
2. If tires have been subject to 32° F or less, allow them to warm to room temperature (about 70° F)
for a minimum of 24 hrs before tire is mounted, transported or flexed.
3. Always use spare tires not intended for future competition to store vehicles for prolonged periods
of time or winter transport.
4. If below freezing temperatures are expected, please consider shipping tires once more favorable conditions exist.
Do not use tires that have evidence of Freeze Crack Damage.

Nitto:
[pdf]http://nittotire.com/content/pdf/StorageRecommendationsCompetitionTires.pdf[/pdf]

That said if you're storing your Boss in a heated garage where temps always stay above 32F you should be fine.

98RedGT

2012 #552
I don't have a heated garage but can't say that my garage has ever gotten close to 32F, even in Nebraska.

I already ordered studded snow tires on steel winter rims for the coming snow.... Oh and I'm putting a plow on the front too its an easy mount, right to the splitter! ;D

98RedGT

2012 #552
cloud9 said:
98RedGT said:
I don't have a heated garage but can't say that my garage has ever gotten close to 32F, even in Nebraska.
Are you going to MPH (Hastings, NE) for the NASA event this weekend?

No, going to be out of town this weekend.

cloud9 said:
98RedGT said:

Gary all these track events and I'm tired of them falling on my weekends to work! Beginning to look more and more like next year before my car sees a track!

Right now we have unseasonal temperatures in the upper Midwest but we all know what is coming down the pike. My cars get to rest during the winter in a heated shop, under a dust cover, with Stabil in a full tank and a battery tenders hooked up. Right or wrong I never start them until spring. Just think of the insurance costs I save by living in a cold climate besides it makes you really appreciate those nice summer days!

SUPRMN said:
cloud9 said:
98RedGT said:

Gary all these track events and I'm tired of them falling on my weekends to work! Beginning to look more and more like next year before my car sees a track!
Their open track days are Thursdays ;D

cloud9 said:
SUPRMN said:
cloud9 said:
98RedGT said:

If I could get to a Thursday event I would! Just seems everytime I could there is something going on. For instance I'm off this Thursday, but the clear bra is getting put on....next Thursday I work again! I have come to terms with the fact it won't see the track til next year. :'(
Their open track days are Thursdays ;D

98RedGT

2012 #552
SoDakMac said:
Right now we have unseasonal temperatures in the upper Midwest but we all know what is coming down the pike. My cars get to rest during the winter in a heated shop, under a dust cover, with Stabil in a full tank and a battery tenders hooked up. Right or wrong I never start them until spring. Just think of the insurance costs I save by living in a cold climate besides it makes you really appreciate those nice summer days!

do you put it up on blocks or leave the tires on?

TMO Supporting Vendors