The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wired reviews the Boss!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My son's a computer engineering student and works as a programmer. He posted this article on his FaceBook page today. Even the techies love the Boss! :D

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/06/mustang-boss/

It's interesting that the only negative was the brake fade. Just validates that you want to swap out your fluid at a minimum and consider SS lines, track pads and rotors.

GA
Does the Boss use a special front pad or does it just use the standard Brembo pads? My Bullitt front pads were specially formulated and they do not fade at all. If I put cooling ducts on the front I will probably never need Brembos. They cost upwards of $200 a set but they are well worth it.

Cool. I have a friend that works at Wired Magazine and he knows I have a Boss on order. I'll have to slap him the next time I see him for not telling me about this article. ;D

Nice photo:
mustang_f3.jpg

PJWANNABE said:
Does the Boss use a special front pad or does it just use the standard Brembo pads? My Bullitt front pads were specially formulated and they do not fade at all. If I put cooling ducts on the front I will probably never need Brembos. They cost upwards of $200 a set but they are well worth it.
To be honest I'm not sure. However, in my experience I haven't found a pad and rotor that will perform well on both the street and track. You're going to compromise somewhere unless you run dedicated rotors and pads. It doesn't mean they won't work, they just won't work as well as they could if used for their intended purpose.

GA
cloud9 said:
However, in my experience I haven't found a pad and rotor that will perform well on both the street and track.

I have- they came on my stock Bullitt. ;) That is why I have been reluctant to use Hawk pads or upgrade to Brembos to date. I do need better tires though.

From a Boss brochure:

Brake System Enhancements
• Boss 302-specific Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) tuning
• Brembo® four-piston front brake calipers and 14" vented front rotors
designed to deliver high- performance stopping power
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® high-performance brake pads
with racing credentials

• Low-expansion brake lines for better brake pedal feel

Are those the same pads on a GT500?

5 DOT 0 said:
From a Boss brochure:

Brake System Enhancements
• Boss 302-specific Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) tuning
• Brembo® four-piston front brake calipers and 14" vented front rotors
designed to deliver high- performance stopping power
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® high-performance brake pads
with racing credentials

• Low-expansion brake lines for better brake pedal feel

Are those the same pads on a GT500?
I'm not sure. The pads on my GT500 are from a Brembo GT ;D I didn't like the way the HPS pads I had on there stopped on the street. They frankly scared me as there was very little initial bite when cold. I bought them from a friend who put DBA 4000 rotors on his and HPS pads. The calipers and rotors are the same as far as I know on the Brembo GT, GT500 and Boss.

I found it. I thought all the pads were Boss specific but it appears to just be the rears. From Ford's website:

"Boss braking is also up to the challenge, using Brembo four-piston front calipers acting on 14-inch vented rotors. In the back, standard Mustang GT brakes are upgraded with a Boss-specific high-performance pad compound. Combined with vented brake shields and unique Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) tuning, Boss drivers get maximum control and rapid, repeatable fade-free stops in road and race situations alike"

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel