The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wiring GT350 Active Exhaust to a switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Hey there!

I have a set of 2018 GT350 mufflers with the actuators. My GT is a base 2018. I don’t have the plug in the back for any A/E.

I am trying to figure out how to wire either a momentary or latching switch. Which switch do I buy and do I need a relay as well?

Based on the video I’ve seen, and my own understanding, it’s a 3-wire system.
(Video Link:
)
  • Positive wires (#3) connect together and get direct power (not wired up to a switch)
  • Negative wires (#1) gets wired up to the negative terminal of the switch
  • Switch wires (#2) also gets wired up to a negative terminal of the switch (negative switched)
I wired this up to a momentary switch with positive and negative, but the problem I’m facing is that I am only able to get the actuators closed. I can’t get them to open without pushing down on the rocker switch, then with my other hand, taking the switch wires (#2) and touching them directly to the ground wires (#1). How can I wire this so that when I press open, the switch (#2) connection somehow makes contact with the negative (#1)terminal and makes it open?

Am I using the wrong switch? Do I need a latching switch? How can I wire this up correctly? What do I connect wire #2 to. If anyone can walk me through this, that’d be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

04F25747-A8E9-4EC8-A2A8-2B6BA0802A1D.jpeg

678F175D-CEAE-4682-9989-319E6C9956F8.jpeg

E72DFD4D-3022-4192-BF21-A32C4922C95F.jpeg

39BCF4F6-C32C-4BA7-B633-7E92C6DC6297.jpeg

so basically, run a (P) power wire to the motor positive wire, (N) ground out the negative wire to chassis, and put the (S) switch wire on a switch that also grounds out to chassis.
if it opens up on full power i bet putting a potentiometer in the (S) wire circuit would open it up in varying degrees based on resistance (zero resistance = full power = 100% open)

then if you could have something to do that based on throttle position... that'd be pretty dope.

i don't have active exhaust so this is very interesting.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
so basically, run a (P) power wire to the motor positive wire, (N) ground out the negative wire to chassis, and put the (S) switch wire on a switch that also grounds out to chassis.
if it opens up on full power i bet putting a potentiometer in the (S) wire circuit would open it up in varying degrees based on resistance (zero resistance = full power = 100% open)

then if you could have something to do that based on throttle position... that'd be pretty dope.

i don't have active exhaust so this is very interesting.
I’m not sure if you can mention other sites on this forum, but i got it figured out and posted a whole step by step on how to install Active exhaust to a switch. It’s on Mustang6G forums, under the same username.

I’m not sure if you can mention other sites on this forum, but i got it figured out and posted a whole step by step on how to install Active exhaust to a switch. It’s on ____ forums, under the same username.

I think i saw that before i was banned for pointing out that 6g had become a funnel for 7G.

TMO Supporting Vendors