The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wiring Steering Wheel Controls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Background: I picked up a new 2017 grabber blue Mustang GT with the performance pack last September and am in the process of converting it to a dedicated track car. Watson cage has been installed and all suspension work is completed. I am starting on the interior pieces.

My question: I am installing a removable steering wheel and am looking to relocate the steering wheel control buttons that control the dash functions. I thought it would be as easy as tracing wires, but the 4 colored wires coming from the control piece to the clock spring do not match the wires leaving the clock spring! Has anyone on this forum done that already and could pass along any tips, wiring diagram, etc. that would assist with this? I did a quick search, but did not see a thread on this. If I am wrong, please direct me to the link.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered. Will post some picks when I am done with the build.

@9Cobra7 I believe there is control module in the column, so you can't cut/splice there. The OE buttons on the steering wheel use resistance ladder logic. The quick fix is to retain the clock spring and the OE switches and relocate both. The more elegant solution is to trace the clock spring wires and add toggle switches to mimic OE function. The good news is you only need the L/R, U/D, OK and Mode +/- functions.

TMO Supporting Vendors