The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

With All The Tracking What's Everyone Using For Belts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Lady

Are you just using the stock shoulder/lap belt or have you upgraded to 5 or 6 pts. If you've upgraded, how did you install them? Are there any brackets out there for the Mustang that install using the current belt belt anchor bolts and let you use the snapends on your belts and just snap into the bracket?

I think by federal law all seat belts even in metric cars used 7/16" fine threaded bolts. These are available as eye bolts a bolt with the ring instead of a head. You replace your stock bolts with these and then use belts with built in spring loaded releases on the ends. The sub belt can be mounted to the rear seat mount bolts or front seat mount bolts if the seat is built for it. The shoulder belts are the problem. They need to be mount straight back shoulder height. Which means on the rear parcel shelf. Or a harness bar has to be securely mounted from the standard shoulder harness mount bolts so the belts are held up by the harness bar. Anyway that's a quick summery so you get the idea. You can do all the mounts with eye bolts so the harness can be clipped in when ready to use.

One other consideration one that I never bothered with before. But race harness while far superior than street harness aren't DOT approved. So using them on the street instead of your factory belts could be problematic in and severe accident.

On our cars there is a belt mounting point on the rear parcel shelf intended I think for child safety seats. It is under a snap up plastic cap. I wonder if this is strong enough for use with shoulder harness? Would be an ideal place to snap in a harness if it was strong enough.

An episode of Two Guys Garage had a cool rollbar put into a 2010-2011 Camero which looked really good.

If your interested in something like that to add bets too, check it out.

Two Guys Garge: http://www.twoguysgarage.com/

RPM Rollbar (Mustang): http://www.rpmrollbar.com/rollbars.html

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CG Lock until a cage goes in. Don't waste your time on a harness bar--if you manage to roll the car, your seat won't be able to recline and you will be crushed by the roof.

ArizonaGT said:
CG Lock until a cage goes in. Don't waste your time on a harness bar--if you manage to roll the car, your seat won't be able to recline and you will be crushed by the roof.

+1. Dont even think about a harness without a roll cage first. CG Locks are actually stunningly effective at keeping your rear planted ;)

Boss Lady

LateApex said:
ArizonaGT said:

+1. Dont even think about a harness without a roll cage first. CG Locks are actually stunningly effective at keeping your rear planted ;)

Thanks guys. I didn't really want to install a harness bar. My CG Locks arrived Friday, now just waiting on my car to arrive and I'll be one step closer to hitting the track. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors