The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

World Challenge Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here you go. This is on a BMO members 302S.

IMG_0678_zps6703cc5a.jpg

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
LikeABauce302 said:
Has anybody found or made alternative turnbuckles? The Ford Racing turnbuckles are stupid expensive. I bought my car used and it came with an uninstalled LS splitter. I don't have the bracket or turnbuckles to install it.

Funny you mention this. I just received a set of the Longacre 8" turnbuckles that Drew mentions below. I actually bent the OEM Ford pieces when my WC splitter dragged on the trailer while unloading. I used MAP gas to heat the bolts and straighten them, only to have one of them snap at Pueblo last weekend.

I'll be taking a closer look at the LA pieces this weekend. For $50/pr, I can buy 6 sets before I match the retail price of the Ford replacements ($349? are you f'in kidding me?).

I'll update once I get them installed (note, I'm only using the turnbuckle and the end bolts. My OEM Ford stanchions are still good).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
I've been using the Longacre braces that AZBOSS suggested. They are easy on the wallet but I'm not sure how strong they are compared to others. I know I've already broken two of the bolts that connect the turnbuckle to the rod during my last two track outings. Maybe it's just my driving...lol. Centri5.0 has broken one too on a bad incline on the street. Good thing is they are cheap enough to replace if you break them...

Yeah but you do a lot of landscaping...

John, let us know how these work out for you!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaBOSS said:
John, let us know how these work out for you!

Well, the 8" Longacre parts are too long. 8" overall length would have worked, but the center section alone is 8"... leaving no room for the ends (unless you want to turn the splitter into a snowplow).

The ends are the same thread size as the OEM Ford parts... so I just threaded those into the Ford pieces and got it back together (It's ugly... I did a REALLY good job this time).

a 6" or 7" piece would be perfect.... so I just ordered the 6" pieces from Longacre. Should have them next week and will carry them as spares ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
Well, the 8" Longacre parts are too long. 8" overall length would have worked, but the center section alone is 8"... leaving no room for the ends (unless you want to turn the splitter into a snowplow).

The ends are the same thread size as the OEM Ford parts... so I just threaded those into the Ford pieces and got it back together (It's ugly... I did a REALLY good job this time).

a 6" or 7" piece would be perfect.... so I just ordered the 6" pieces from Longacre. Should have them next week and will carry them as spares ;)
ill bet the 8" ones would work great with a splitter spacer :)

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaBOSS said:
ill bet the 8" ones would work great with a splitter spacer :)

Definitely. 6" would be too short for the added spacer. Of course, I can barely get it on / off the trailer as it is now.... a spacer would make it completely impossible.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
Definitely. 6" would be too short for the added spacer. Of course, I can barely get it on / off the trailer as it is now.... a spacer would make it completely impossible.

I'll bet.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
roadhouse said:
You could cut down the 8" supports and have them as spares if you were to trash one of your good ones... that's what I did.

Since you cut yours... how far are they threaded into the support? I was gonna do that... wasn't sure if they were threaded all the way through or not.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Naw , you guys have it all wrong about John, he is a member of F.A.R.T. --- Ford Alfalfa Racing Team. Lawncare is small potatoes for John , he is heavy into agricultural racing !

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Bill Pemberton said:
Naw , you guys have it all wrong about John, he is a member of F.A.R.T. --- Ford Alfalfa Racing Team. Lawncare is small potatoes for John , he is heavy into agricultural racing !

Actually, I've only gone off backwards into the alfalfa... which was one too many times for me.

Of course, if you or Gary are behind me, I've been known to accidentally drop a rear wheel once in a while :)

JScheier said:

Can be shortened with a hacksaw with no Ill effect. From experience.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Tulsa, OK
JScheier said:
Since you cut yours... how far are they threaded into the support? I was gonna do that... wasn't sure if they were threaded all the way through or not.

I cut 1/2" to and 1" off both ends and it was still threaded and they worked fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors