The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

World Challenge Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone install a the world challenge splitter m-16601-s. Is it much bigger than the factory one? and do you need to take the front bumper off?

Thanks

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I haven't installed one, but I think you might need to take the bumper cover off. The bracket that supports the stanchions/turnbuckles is mounted to the back of the bumper beam. Even if you don't have to take it off, I'm sure it will give better access to the back of the bumper beam. It's also very easy to take off.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes, it's on my car in the banner pic. You need to take the fascia off to install it as the bracket bolts to the bumper bar support beam bolts.

It's pretty easy to take the fascia off, as Grant mentioned. Here is the procedure:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1097&viewfile=Bumper%20Cover%20-%20Front.pdf

And the diagram:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1097&viewfile=Bumper%20-%20Exploded%20View,%20Front.pdf

Cobra700 said:
Hmmm. Thanks. Guess I'll get the LS hehe.
You should get the WC splitter and save a couple of hundred dollars. Unless your last name is Foster or Maxwell you'll never know the difference. It's more important to get the splitter lower to the ground than it is to have it stick out further.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
You should get the WC splitter and save a couple of hundred dollars. Unless your last name is Foster or Maxwell you'll never know the difference. It's more important to get the splitter lower to the ground than it is to have it stick out further.

Agreed.

Tulsa, OK
I built my own splitter and thought I wanted it to be LS-sized but I ended up cutting it down to the size of the world challenge. Like Rick already said, you really don't need anything larger than that as it's more important to have it closer to the ground.

NFSBOSS said:

Good point thanks! Think i will unless I can find someone selling their LS cheap.
Thanks again!

Has anybody found or made alternative turnbuckles? The Ford Racing turnbuckles are stupid expensive. I bought my car used and it came with an uninstalled LS splitter. I don't have the bracket or turnbuckles to install it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LikeABauce302 said:
Has anybody found or made alternative turnbuckles? The Ford Racing turnbuckles are stupid expensive. I bought my car used and it came with an uninstalled LS splitter. I don't have the bracket or turnbuckles to install it.

Can't guarantee these will fit but they seem right: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4825

As far as the bracket is concerned, you might as well buy the 302S bumper beam w/ the support rod flanges already installed, or the Blowfish Racing towhook/bracket kit.

Tulsa, OK
I've been using the Longacre braces that AZBOSS suggested. They are easy on the wallet but I'm not sure how strong they are compared to others. I know I've already broken two of the bolts that connect the turnbuckle to the rod during my last two track outings. Maybe it's just my driving...lol. Centri5.0 has broken one too on a bad incline on the street. Good thing is they are cheap enough to replace if you break them...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
roadhouse said:
I've been using the Longacre braces that AZBOSS suggested. They are easy on the wallet but I'm not sure how strong they are compared to others. I know I've already broken two of the bolts that connect the turnbuckle to the rod during my last two track outings. Maybe it's just my driving...lol. Centri5.0 has broken one too on a bad incline on the street. Good thing is they are cheap enough to replace if you break them...

Silly question.

Is it better to have a smaller/cheaper sacraficial piece like the one from Long Acres mentioned above?

If this piece breaks and saves other more expensive parts Is this better?? Is this the case??

Curious because a splitter is on my wish list.

Tulsa, OK
Not a silly question at all, and I think you're absolutely right. Personally, I would rather have these turnbuckles break than have the bumper ripped off or a whole punched through the radiator in the event of a crash.

If being lower is better than longer, my stupid question would be, could a 1" or a 1/2"spacer be made to fit between the bumper cover and the stock BOSS splitter? Then have the bracing under the car facing backwards rather than the two rods from a lengthened splitter braced through the grill? So in escence, just lower the existing stock splitter.

TMO Supporting Vendors