The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Worlds greatest drag race 2 (ZL1 vs GT500)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's a fun video, but also not much of a surprise. The bigger surprise happens during the "Best Driver's Car" shootout. Up until now, every magazine and web review/shootout I have seen couldn't find it beyond themselves to simply label the GT500 the fastest in a straight line, and the ZL1 the handling champion. Intarw3bs bench racing FTW guys!!! ::)

Whatever. Randy Pobst took both cars around Laguna Seca:

* SPOILERS *

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - 1:39.2
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - 1:38.7

Whoops.

Jimmy

That was an awesome video. Now they need to do a bang for the buck super car video. Under 100k to enter. How much is a GT-R?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
They actually cut a decent time with the Shelby. I was surprised. its hard to go up against the same or more power of awd on street tires. In this months 5.0 they got one well in the 9's with just bolt ons. still would be well under the price of the three cars that beat it lol.

As a former Porsche 997 owner I find it quite dubious that a bone stock Carrera S turns out a 12.0 quarter mile, PDK or not. Not sure someone didn't enter a ringer there....

Cartman said:
As a former Porsche 997 owner I find it quite dubious that a bone stock Carrera S turns out a 12.0 quarter mile, PDK or not. Not sure someone didn't enter a ringer there....
That's a 991 and consistent with other reviews.

I was actually surprised the camaro di that good cause at our track the 2010 and up v8 non supercharged camaros are not good at all infact all of the stock 4.6 older stangs are eating them up. The last camaro I saw was a 2012 6.2 v8 1ss and it ran right around 14.3 and I know he had that thing maxed out, I asked him, he told me he has been very dissapointed so far with the numbers. I had a 2010 2ss loaded and it was not too bad could never keep up with a new gt though. As for the gt500 well that is badass no doubt for bone stock.

5 DOT 0 said:
Cartman said:
That's a 991 and consistent with other reviews.
I realize it's a 991, but that's basically the same speed as the GT3 4.0 RS. And the same press car typically makes the rounds....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel