The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Would removing foam injector/intake covers help cooling??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone removed the black foam injector/intake covers to help improve cooling? If so, were you able to notice any cooling difference? Any negative effects of hearing too much engine noise, as I assume that is what they are for?

I haven't removed them but they are there for noise and looks. I don't think it's going to make much of a difference but it won't hurt cooling to remove them. Don't forget the foam blocks under the intake too.

I removed them to see how loud it got. At 3k I hear a lot of metallic fluttering. And it was right at 3k. Kind of suspicious I think. Like how pinging at 2k with the track key is "normal". I think the cause is lazy programming and approximating a curve for timing advance with two straight lines and the notch of those lines right at 2k...

I will be for sure, I have to drive a lot next to Jersey barriers since here in MA our unions can't finish anything. The sound reflects very well even over the axle backs and open side pipes. I am sure everyone else hears it easily. I would still give it a shot though, the two fuel rail covers are easy to remove. For the track it seems like it would be the easiest thing to do for prep. I tried to remove the intake blocks but the rear one has part of the harness through it. I ran out of time so I didn't try to unplug it or investigate more. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I haven't removed mine, but I believe they're also there to help keep the intake charge cooler. One other member removed his valley foam and noted that his intake temps went up a little. It's mentioned in the intake reflective insulation thread.

I removed all of them, the intake ones I I destroyed taking out but I never would have put them back anyway. I have no way to see if cooling is better but with the tiger hood I feel the air through the intake helps. I don't have any of noises from the injectors being off other than hearing more igniter tick at idle.

Took mine off together with the front and rear v blocks in the valley, while I hade it intake off last winter. Not sure how much it's helping but it all counts. Plus it's a couple more pounds off the front end.

Looking at this year's 302S builds at Watson, they have no foam.....

WinterSucks said:
I removed them to see how loud it got. At 3k I hear a lot of metallic fluttering. And it was right at 3k. Kind of suspicious I think. Like how pinging at 2k with the track key is "normal". I think the cause is lazy programming and approximating a curve for timing advance with two straight lines and the notch of those lines right at 2k...
I'm glad you posted this. I took the larger foam blocks off mine this winter. I have been hearing the same thing you describe at lower RPM....probably closer to 2k than 3k and was worried it was knocking. I'm guessing it's just noise that was masked with the foam installed. I feel better now :)

And I was getting worried I was the only one! For me it is definitely not a knocking, but a chattering/squeak. I went through the I93 tunnel in Boston today and will see if I can post the sound. At that low rpm it is louder than the exhaust. Sounds like a Chevy ;)

WinterSucks said:
And I was getting worried I was the only one! For me it is definitely not a knocking, but a chattering/squeak. I went through the I93 tunnel in Boston today and will see if I can post the sound. At that low rpm it is louder than the exhaust. Sounds like a Chevy ;)
Right, that's when I hear it. With the LTs you can't hear much above 3k RPM if it's still there. It is more evident if you get it reverberating off a wall/tunnel/building.

Here is the video. In the video it sounds like someone is using a lathe next to me. It does sound more chattery in person. I am putting the covers back on and it it is still present I will start to worry.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdF1IH1w-Xc[/youtube]

I removed the injector foam and the larger "dressup" blocks over a year ago but have not taken the intake valley ones out yet. I can't comment on the temperatures but there is definitely an increase in engine noice. Lots more ticking and knocking type sounds...really noticable with the hood up at idle. I've learned to accept that these engines are not silky smooth runners...but they sure can put out the power!

TMO Supporting Vendors