The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WOW That's Hot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Has anyone else noticed that the floor beneath the center console gets REALLY hot after driving for a while? I pulled up my center console lid to fuddle with the wiring underneath and MAN that sheet metal at the bottom was hot. There's plenty of heat shield and batting under there but wow is it hot to the touch. I am thinking some dynamat might help keep the heat out for those summer days coming up. Any thoughts?

John

The whole car gets extremely hot... I don't need a Garage Heater, I can just park my BOSS in there and it will stay warm and toasty for hours... Not sure why the car gets so hot, but it does... I haven't noticed what you describing, but the heat coming mine I would bet its doing the same thing..

rpm3dinc said:
The whole car gets extremely hot... I don't need a Garage Heater, I can just park my BOSS in there and it will stay warm and toasty for hours... Not sure why the car gets so hot, but it does... I haven't noticed what you describing, but the heat coming mine I would bet its doing the same thing..

I agree with you. After pulling my car into my garage on summer day. I basically have to leave the overhead doors open for a while otherwise I've seen temperatures get as high as 30C in there and before I pull in it's around the 20C mark.

cosm3os said:
You can fry bacon on the STB after a session on track!

I knew there was another purpose for that thing!

I first noticed the crazy heat when I went to check the oil for the first time.
I thought there was something wrong at first, but then realized I was comparing it to the tiny 4 cylinders I've owned.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
jneary said:
Has anyone else noticed that the floor beneath the center console gets REALLY hot after driving for a while? I pulled up my center console lid to fuddle with the wiring underneath and MAN that sheet metal at the bottom was hot. There's plenty of heat shield and batting under there but wow is it hot to the touch. I am thinking some dynamat might help keep the heat out for those summer days coming up. Any thoughts?

John

Thanks why the MGW shifter comes with an optional heat shield. It makes a huge difference.

-Pete

Thats why my daughters cats can't wait for me to come home so they can jump on the hood for a nice heated nap. It took a while for me to figure out where the little scratches had been coming from on my hood. I always use the cover now even if it is only parked for a couple hours.

My wife's cat USED to do that 8) I waxed the hood real good and waited. When I caught her on it I hit the Panic button. She panicked, or course, and slid right off flailing on her belly the whole way. It was pretty damn funny and she has not gotten her muddy footprints on the Boss since. Thankfully she just floundered around and never got her paws under her, that could have been bad.

You could also try one of these, since they won't panic, but won't stick around, either.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231130712644?lpid=82

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Yeah, no I realize that. Additionally, the exhaust system is essentially RIGHT THERE. Makes the transmission scoop a good idea I guess. Matter of fact, I'm gonna order one now...

John

Anyone considered pulling the carpet and putting down dyna mat? is that only for noise, or for heat too? I don't track the car, so a couple extra pounds to keep the heat down would be ok.

And..adding trans scoop, Boss 302S grille, and SVT fan to the mix for mods. Not working on higher HP yet, just want it cool and smooth and enjoyable on the street. Took my neighbors son out for a ride last night. He cuts my lawn and we had talked about me getting a Boss last year. So he is....well, hating life driving his Honda Civic right now, that's what he's doing.
Anyway, snow coming in this afternoon. I am going to go out and enjoy the Boss for a bit before tucking her away for a couple weeks.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel