The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Wrecked 2.0+ Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
Here is the 2020 GT350R I plan to restore. Passenger front frame rail needs to be replaced as well as the front body and chassis parts.

Both of these cars are for recreation track use. We are not trying to make them trailer queens or show cars. They will be abused on our local tracks.

This car had nasty crash at Summit Point Raceway.

62484141_Image_2.JPG

62484141_Image_3.JPG

62484141_Image_5.JPG

62484141_Image_1.JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nasty crash, Gman you are definitely a master at understatement , ha! Ouch, ouch, and ouch again, but we all look forward to the nose job you will perform and the rebuilding of Humpty Dumpty!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Damn those are brand new Michelins ---- the Gold Standard for sticky slicks! But you only have 7 of them , which car gets shortchanged, ha?!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
Damn those are brand new Michelins ---- the Gold Standard for sticky slicks!
We tried most of the tires available and found these to be our favorite.

These are some of our old cars we have and the modern muscle is such a joy to drive on the track. Once they drove my first GT350 they had to have one as well. So here I am building them cars.

IMG_6690.JPG

TX
We tried most of the tires available and found these to be our favorite.

These are some of our old cars we have and the modern muscle is such a joy to drive on the track. Once they drove my first GT350 they had to have one as well. So here I am building them cars.

View attachment 73252
You sir, have excellent taste!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, she does look good and just seeing a picture of a Mustang at a track is hard on us folks in the Midwest ----- one more month and things will look up for the folks in frigid land! Sounds like the shakedown only found a few items, so the rebuild has to be consider a solid success!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
Well, she does look good and just seeing a picture of a Mustang at a track is hard on us folks in the Midwest ----- one more month and things will look up for the folks in frigid land! Sounds like the shakedown only found a few items, so the rebuild has to be consider a solid success!
On my 17 we would run 7-8 sessions and never have the motor get so hot. When we came in after a session on the 18 the coolant would percolate and start spitting out the expansion tank. We would have to start it up and let it cool down for 3-5 minutes. We will be adding some ducting and remove the AC evaporator core to test on the next track day. The gauge shows normal operating temp. Any help would be most appreciated.

IMG_7335.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
Did you pull vacuum on the system?? A small pocket of air can cause havoc.
We sealed it up for the day and replaced the part when we got home. The nipple was broken off. I keep reading about vacuum block of plates and was wondering about them. It is a should do type of thing?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Its a sometimes it bites you in the A*S kind of thing. I have refilled several times with a coyote and voodoo and been fine. One time.....not so good. I always pull vacuum on the system now. I bought a air over vacuum pump and just suck the fluid into the system now. Overall, I think it takes less time to just pull the vacuum and draw the fluid in and be done with it over waiting for the engine to get hot, blip the throttle to "Get the bubbles out" and mess with a hot system. YMMV. Same with the clutch hydraulics. Pull a vacuum and be done with it.
Hope this is helpful.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
Usually take me less than two hours to drop the front cradle but the frame rails had to be pulled straighter so I could get the motor out. I picked up another motor with a bunch of goodies already installed. Long tube headers, rear oil and coolant lines, MMR timing guides, GT500 coil packs and oil pan. It has under 500 miles track miles on it (he just built himself a monster motor!)

IMG_7386.JPG

IMG_7388.JPG

IMG_7390.JPG

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Usually take me less than two hours to drop the front cradle but the frame rails had to be pulled straighter so I could get the motor out. I picked up another motor with a bunch of goodies already installed. Long tube headers, rear oil and coolant lines, MMR timing guides, GT500 coil packs and oil pan. It has under 500 miles track miles on it (he just built himself a monster motor!)

View attachment 73686

View attachment 73687

View attachment 73688
Ya know s*it gettin real when there is a sawzall in the picture !! Hah. :hellyeah:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
Assembling the Steeda K-Member with new motor. Some damage to the original motor I would not have caught had I not torn the engine out. The impact broke 3 of the 4 bolts off the oil filter housing and it looked OK until I disconnected the oil lines. Now I need to check to make sure the surface is flat and not bent up. The impact was so hard it broke the stud off the top of the motor mount as well.

The intake is not what I'll be using I put it on to make sure nothing dropped in the holes!

IMG_7391 2.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors