"Wrench" warning light

Discussion in 'S550 Technical Forum - GT, GT350 and GT500' started by Akula23, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Akula23

Akula23 TMO Beginner

Hi all,

Maybe there is a thread for this already, but I haven't found it. My 2017 GT350 gives me a "wrench" light with the message "See manual". I can't find any wrench symbols in the manual. It clears after the car is shutdown and leaves no code. When the light comes on (after 30-60 minutes of driving), the cruise control stops working. Otherwise, all seems fine.

My engine is stock with the exception of a JLT CAI and JLT tune. The car has 5500 miles with several track days and auto-crosses.

Anyone know what is going on with this one?

Thanks!

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

There could be many reasons for the code, if you can find a scanner it will tell you what the code is for.

3. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Have you contacted your tuner?

4. The_Dead_Cow

The_Dead_Cow Mike

I failed to properly heat up the motor at a track day (didn't have oil temp to 200F), the car limited rpm's to 7500, showed the wrench then cleared when the car was turned off. Next session it was like normal. I drive a '17 gt350

5. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I didn't even know there was a wrench lite...I hope I never see it..................Maybe on the Boss, they use a greasy hand lite??????????

The_Dead_Cow likes this.
  6. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

Could be this:

TSB 19-2135 Page 1.png

byronj, TMSBOSS and Akula23 like this.
  7. Akula23

Akula23 TMO Beginner

That sounds promising. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

over an hour and a half to replace a nut?????....they must have one doing the job................

byronj likes this.
  9. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

It's the nut on the end of the transmission tailshaft. You have to remove the exhaust and drop the driveshaft.

10. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Thanx for clearing that up.....It would probably take me 3 hrs.......................Me and Murphy

11. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

It's just further evidence that the vibration from a Voodoo will eventually return anything connected to it back into a pile of loose parts.

12. honeybadger

honeybadger TMO Advanced

Can confirm this.

13. VUDU V8 Steve

VUDU V8 Steve TMO Intermediate

The tune likely optimizes whp and torque and ignores a bunch of other functions. Plug in your tune hardware, return to stock, and see if it goes away.
    If it does, JLT propeller heads should interrogate your car ( after you plug it back in and restore tune, reproduce driving conditions, and throw another wrench light.)
    and fix it.
    MY tune ( Paramount Speed/ Palm beach Dyno) added 20 whp/ 20 ft lbs torque, but car is jumpy and stutters when cold, and it wouldn't smog because tune software erases the "black box" in favor of maxing out the ponies for tracking. I drive my car stock, and return programming to tune when tracking...

14. Akula23

Akula23 TMO Beginner

Turns out my Autoblip was interfering with the clutch position sensor. After disconnecting the Autoblip, the problem went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

That Autoblip was doing more than it was supposed to........................................................:rolleyes:

16. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Wrench light is specifically related to throttle body calibration. If the commanded position and actual position don't agree within .5 degree wrench light will illuminate and put the car in limp mode. I am not aware of the light coming on without reducing power.

17. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

Wrench light can also be caused by issues with pedal switches or Magneride. It's sometimes accompanied with either a (delayed) Hill Start Assist or Cruise Control not available message. I had a Wrench light and Hill Start assist caused by a Stop light switch failure (turns out the switch has two switches/circuits, one used for brake lights, the other for Hill Start/Cruise, only the latter had failed). Magneride failure will set limp mode and eliminate ability to change drive modes.

Most Wrench light conditions will reset on key-off. Some require battery power to be disconnected.

18. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Thanks for additional insight Nick. I have been reading through the 2018 Diagnostics manual and the interaction with all of these systems has multiplied 4 fold over the S197. There are 4 High Speed Can buses in an S550, 1 in the S197.

19. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

Yes, 4 CAN busses (3 High speed, 1 Medium speed) and a gateway module to translate info between busses and to the OBD port.

Not many aftermarket diagnostic tools will correctly read all data other than CAN bus 1, which is mainly PCM info. Even some versions of ProCal will not read ABS, Power Steering and other modules on multi bus systems.

I’ve found FORScan Lite to be the most comprehensive diagnostic and logging tool.

steveespo likes this.