The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WTB a Boss, what should I look out for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeking the wisdom of you current Boss owners, before I make the plunge. With what you know now about Boss ownership, what are the top things you would advise me to look out for? I plan to purchase a used 2012 when the time comes, but I'd like to know what things bug current owners. Thanks in advance!

Don't pay too much. There's a used '12 Co with 1800 miles at a dealer near me that going for $49990. That's at least 9 grand overpriced IMO. You could get a BRAND NEW '13 for less than that if you shop around.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Badboss1 said:
Seeking the wisdom of you current Boss owners, before I make the plunge. With what you know now about Boss ownership, what are the top things you would advise me to look out for? I plan to purchase a used 2012 when the time comes, but I'd like to know what things bug current owners. Thanks in advance!at

The only thing that bugs me about my BOSS is that I dont drive it enough!!! :mad:

That being said I personally would not purchase the BOSS as a daily driver - My daily driver needs just don't work for what this car was designed for, but, Makes me enjoy it that much more when I do get the chance to drive her. Not sure what your situation is? Just my opinion. I can tell you that this car does put a super grin on you face everytime! Plus people do stare, even if they don't want to.

Cops here give me the thumbs up, even the one that caught me... shall we say testing the limits of grip with the TC turned off. My usual response to cops asking how fast it goes is "25 around town, 65 on the freeway" ;D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
My only regret is not getting one sooner...or getting it after ordering and buying the GT.

Anytime I buy a used car, I want it fired-up cold. Test drive/ride should have some drive-it-like-you-stole-it in there.

Thanks to all (so far) for the comments, I appreciate it. I don't see any 'gotchas' in terms of obvious faults, very cool. Any thoughts around purchasing standard Boss vs. LS? It wouldn't be a daily driver, so the lack of a back seat or firmer ride is no issue. I like to do the occasional track day, but it doesn't seem like the LS has a big advantage over standard in performance. Anyway-- thanks for your advice and opinions.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Badboss1 said:
Thanks to all (so far) for the comments, I appreciate it. I don't see any 'gotchas' in terms of obvious faults, very cool. Any thoughts around purchasing standard Boss vs. LS? It wouldn't be a daily driver, so the lack of a back seat or firmer ride is no issue. I like to do the occasional track day, but it doesn't seem like the LS has a big advantage over standard in performance. Anyway-- thanks for your advice and opinions.

If it is not your daily driver.. I dnt think you can wrong with either one! Don't settle and get the one you calls to you!!

LS suspension is probably a little better for the track, but honestly you won't miss it if the regular is all you have driven. If you get a regular one, make sure it has the Recaro/Torsen package since you will be tracking it and add the brake ducts and tranny scoop. You will also want a more open grill if it is a 12, otherwise you have to pull it out at the track on hot days.

Common issues? Passenger side head ticking is bad, some of the trannies are a little notchy and some will get lock outs at high rpm when it is hot, but not sure if they correlate. Make sure it was serviced, depending on miles. The Recaros sometimes wear where the belt slides over the shoulder. MGW shifter is a good mod, from what people have said here, though I don't have it yet. Some rear ends whine, that is bad. Can't really check it easily, but some burn oil. Mine burned 5+ quarts in 2500 miles, then not a drop since doing the first oil change. Rattle from the passenger side at 2500-3500 rpm is the bolt on the passenger side side pipe, it is easy to fix by twisting it a little. I had a leaking caliper but it is the only one I have heard of, I'm almost certain the bleeder was cross threaded from the factory. Black specs in the paint, I was able to get almost all of them out with a clay bar but not everyone has been as successful. Try to drive it a few miles on the highway at 4k rpm and see if it throws codes for crank sensor, that seems fairly common. Some have the rear end not quite centered right, not sure how common that is but it has been mentioned. I don't remember what other common issues they have.

It is a great car, I cross shopped a LOT including more expensive cars and there is nothing that combines the looks, attitude, and just plain fun of the Boss without spending 3 times the money in my opinion. But it is more of a sporty GT than a true sports car, due to the weight and size. The weight is the biggest minus on the car, both for twisty back roads and for the track (mostly due to stress/heat as a result) but it is still a lot of fun for both, and the easiest car I have driven on the track that was not AWD.

I would have gotten an LS if it were available in the other colors, and didn't have 20k markup at the time. But just because I think it is cool, I am happy with my regular Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel