The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WTB Magnum XL Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Good price on that but the 2.97 first gear is not great for open track use due to the wider gear spacing. The 2.66 box is pretty close to the MT82 ratios, minus the MT82's very short first gear.

lol well a lot of guys here in California don’t do digs so they roll race. Like 25mph roll to 125 from 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear. I mostly do digs at the track or street but once in awhile I’ll shut a couple people up from a roll.

Good price on that but the 2.97 first gear is not great for open track use due to the wider gear spacing. The 2.66 box is pretty close to the MT82 ratios, minus the MT82's very short first gear.

I’m with ArizonaBoss, the close ratio 2.66 box is preferred for the road course.

I see a big and little setup which means this guy likes going straight in a hurry. I suppose he still could want to track for fun though.

I have no input on the XL’s ratios. Never considered it.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
What’s roll racing?

Its for guys who can't launch a car, work a clutch or shift from 1st to second. The NHRA has got to be shaking their heads at all the "new" drag racing that is everything but drag racing, rolls, no prep, street drags (at least most of these are from a dig). I'm no angel but I also know its easily worth the $20 or $30 to go grudge night at the dragstrip.

As far as gearing, I attached an excel sheet that you can use to figure out what you want. But you'll probably need 4.10s or higher to run the 2.66 1st and drag race. But if you go too high, 4.33, 4.56, etc you may end up needing 5th gear at the lights which is usually not desirable. It all depends on power, tire size, etc.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/five-speed-or-six-speed.13324/#post-194048

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel