The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WTB: Tires for stock boss wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All,

Since I recently completed the suspension overhaul on my car, the next order of business is finding some replacement tires for my stock 9 year old Pirelli's (would like to actually be able to enjoy the changes I made...). The plan is to eventually move up to a set of Apex EC-7 19x10 square wheels with square 285/35/19's, however that is not in the cards for the budget this year (getting married). So, unless someone here has a steal of a deal on a set of 19x10's with tires, I'm on the hunt for stock sized boss 302 replacement tires.

Front: 255/40/R19
Rear: 285/35/R19

I'm ok with partially used, and would like to stick to the well known summer performance tires. Car is mostly street driven, so not looking for much under 200TW. Ideally would have enough tread to get me through 2 more summers.

Thanks!

Well not sure what your budget is but Continental ExtremeContact Sport is a great tire and about 60/per tire cheaper than the Pilot Sport Cup. I just replaced my 7 year old (26kmiles) PZero's with Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk which got good reviews: I like them and they are about $900. a set They are 320TW but really feel much better than that. These are not my track tires but I would est they are as good as the P zero's were when they were new.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Are you going to be auto crossing or doing any track time in the next two Summers? If not that would open up alot more tires , where ultimate grip is not the main criteria. Hit the link to TireRack as it helps the TMO Website, but that also gives you what most consider the best tire site in the US of A.

Well not sure what your budget is but Continental ExtremeContact Sport is a great tire and about 60/per tire cheaper than the Pilot Sport Cup. I just replaced my 7 year old (26kmiles) PZero's with Firestone Indy 500 Firehawk which got good reviews: I like them and they are about $900. a set They are 320TW but really feel much better than that. These are not my track tires but I would est they are as good as the P zero's were when they were new.

Thanks for the feedback on the Indy 500's! I had heard good things from others as well, so nice to get a confirmation of that. Unfortunately, budget is closer to $600 or so, so I think I'll be looking at slightly used at that price point.

Are you going to be auto crossing or doing any track time in the next two Summers? If not that would open up alot more tires , where ultimate grip is not the main criteria. Hit the link to TireRack as it helps the TMO Website, but that also gives you what most consider the best tire site in the US of A.

Bill,

Thanks for the questions! I plan on autocross once or twice a summer, and do not need to be competitive. Mostly street driving, don't plan on any track days so I'm ok with a setup that does not have ultimate grip. Just more trustworthy than the pirellis...

I have a 2012 Boss 302 LS and need to replace my original Pzero's to run on track days. I have an extra set of rims to put my track tires on. What do you suggest for the track? I was thinking about Firestone Indy 500 but you stated you like them buy they were not your track tires?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
First, what size are your rims, and what level of competition do you aspire to? Most of the serious competitors who autocross will run a squared set up, and more and more this is the desired set up for track time also. Let us know the size of your rims and if those are the ones you would use or if you even have considered the option of getting a different size.

Love Michelins , but it you have a second set of rims, initially I would suggest a much more aggressive tire for the competitive set of tires/rims.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
KonaBoss,

Frankly I am not a big fan of the Firestones, but I am even less of a fan of buying used tires. Often the average buyer purchases used tires based on tread depth, and that is a real concern in my mind , as tires degrade over the years and a set with tons of tread , but 6-8 years old are not that far out from honestly needing replacement. Even 2-3 years old you are shortening your useful life especially if you even occasionally track the vehicle, so considering your budget the Firestones are pretty close to your budget if you just click on the link to Tirerack .

BadBoss

Russ Marsh
My experience with Firestone Indy 500s is they are great street tires but not track tires, at all. Tried them at Hastings only once, not fun. I’ve had great wear and grip with Nitto NT05 for a street tire, 200 tread wear, in 40 or 45 height. They do suck for driving in rain however. Also great value. I just got a set of 325/40/18 for just over $900 from Walmart.

Last edited:
First, what size are your rims, and what level of competition do you aspire to? Most of the serious competitors who autocross will run a squared set up, and more and more this is the desired set up for track time also. Let us know the size of your rims and if those are the ones you would use or if you even have considered the option of getting a different size.

Love Michelins , but it you have a second set of rims, initially I would suggest a much more aggressive tire for the competitive set of tires/rims.

I have set of stock Laguna Seca rims. Fronts are 19"x 9" and Rears are 19" x 10". I live about 5 minutes from the National Corvette Track in Bowling Green. I want to take the Boss to a few High Performance Drivers education events. If all goes well I want to go the Indy this summer and do the track day on the Indy 500 road course. I have run SCCA formula Vee about 10 years ago and can't wait to back to the track. What tire will work on these rims on the track?
Thanks

I have a 2012 Boss 302 LS and need to replace my original Pzero's to run on track days. I have an extra set of rims to put my track tires on. What do you suggest for the track? I was thinking about Firestone Indy 500 but you stated you like them buy they were not your track tires?

For track days i'm running Falken RT615K 255/40 on 18x9 F and 295/30 on 18x10 R. They are tw 200 w rated.
A lap or 2 to come up to temp and then very consistent performance over entire 30m sessions. 30psi front 28psi rear cold come up to approx 36f & 32r at my local track.

NT01 are said to be even better but cost a bit more as well not sure if they come in stock 19' sizes I know the Falken's do not.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors