The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Yellow car with paint flaws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. My local dealer has a yellow boss that was rejected by the person who ordered it because of the paint. Both doors are a slightly different shade of yellow than the rest of the car. The dealer was very upfront and honest about the issue. I didn't really notice it until he pointed it out, but you can see they are different shades. Apparently Ford paints the cars with the doors off so an earlier or later batch was used on the doors. This was confirmed by a Ford rep. Anyway, I put down a deposit to buy it for MSRP. I have until tomorrow at 10:00 am to decide. Should I take it at sticker or does the dealer need to discount it? How much off? The doors are just a bit darker gold.
Btw, we started this thing and man what an awesome sound. I revved it up a couple times. WOW.

My wife drives a 2011 Fiesta that is Yellow blaze. It got hit by a 6 point buck at 5 days old. $7700 in damage. It took the body shop and several calls to Ford and 3 months to get it right. They had to paint the whole car, 3 times...
I would take it outside and look at it in the sun. Inside lighting can play big trick on that color.
By the way. I just bought #217 the same color.

Wow that's hard to believe. Body shops are usually able to match factory paint perfectly these days. Maybe the tri-coat process is more difficult to replicate. I would think the appropriate response would be to buy it at MSRP and make them repaint the doors to match. Of course they'll have to replace the C-stripes as well. If Ford is acknowledging it, they'll presumably reimburse the dealer under warranty to correct it.

I looked at it in the sun as well. You can see it is a shade off. Of course there is a lot going on to detract your eyes, especially the stripes. Do you think it should be discounted?

wrongway said:
I looked at it in the sun as well. You can see it is a shade off. Of course there is a lot going on to detract your eyes, especially the stripes. Do you think it should be discounted?
Yes.

Who knows, I bet they can still sell it at MSRP anyway. If you really did not notice it at first most people will not. I had the roof painted and they match it fine first try. With this color I swear sometimes the hood does not match the fenders until I move over a inch, then it does.

So no big deal, tell them $1500 off, if you get $100 go for it, it is what you want, right?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll try for the $1,500.00 and see what happens. They can likely sell it anyway and I'm lucky just to be able to buy one. Wrongway

Go in with the attitude you NEED 4k off MSRP because of this. They KNOW it's going to be a headache, someone backed out already! Somehow create a couple of "uncomfortable silences" where you either stare at them or the ground for A LONG TIME.... then and only then "settle" for something. It's amazing how well an uncomfortable silence will make people drop their price. I learned that trick when I was 17 and Dad bought a decent '64 Falcon for parts for $75. He followed up the unc. sil. with, "what's the absolute lowest amount you will take for it?" The woman caved right there from $400 to $75! :eek:

The color is harder to match then you might think. to get the right "flop", as they call it. Flop is the way it changes by lighting and angle. The color was developed by BASF. BASF doesn't supply body shops. It has 14 carret gold in it, without it, it won't match. Believe me, untill the gold went in they couldn't get it right. This is a very good body shop at the biggest Ford dealer in Indianapolis.

Yellow Blaze is going away. orders chosen by tomorrow for build will be the last batch built. This tells me that there is something going on with the color and it would not surprise me if the matching from panel to doors is the reason.

Thanks for the information boss2012. I'm still working on getting this car. I should know tomorrow.

GA
roywilk1960 said:
Hey boss2012, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know that the Yellow Blaze is going away?

Yellow Blaze will be replaced by Grabber Orange in the 2013 Boss. I don't know if Yellow Blaze is being totally discontinued though. It sounds like it might be if Ford is having trouble with it and the demand is low.

roywilk1960 said:
Hey boss2012, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know that the Yellow Blaze is going away?

I have access to the commodity letters put out weekly by Ford and this weeks commodity letter called for balance out for Yellow Blaze Mustang orders with a date of July 21. This means as long as the car has a VIN assigned by today then it will get built after that probably won't happen.

boss2012 said:
roywilk1960 said:

I have access to the commodity letters put out weekly by Ford and this weeks commodity letter called for balance out for Yellow Blaze Mustang orders with a date of July 21. This means as long as the car has a VIN assigned by today then it will get built after that probably won't happen.

So are you saying (or Ford saying) if we've ordered a Yellow Blaze and it hasn't gotten a VIN yet the color is no longer going to happen? If this is the case, don't you think Ford should contact dealerships to tell those who have ordered that color to pick something else?

Do you have a link or anything that confirms this?

This is NOT the news I wanted to hear......I've already been waiting since 2-14-11 and delt with several headaches with the order/changes since then.

suprmn said:
boss2012 said:
roywilk1960 said:

So are you saying (or Ford saying) if we've ordered a Yellow Blaze and it hasn't gotten a VIN yet the color is no longer going to happen? If this is the case, don't you think Ford should contact dealerships to tell those who have ordered that color to pick something else?

Do you have a link or anything that confirms this?

This is NOT the news I wanted to hear......I've already been waiting since 2-14-11 and delt with several headaches with the order/changes since then.
I'm not sure of another way to do this so i pasted the mustang section of the commodity letter. and i can tell you that I did get a call from my Ford rep to pull the yellow blaze order we had for the 4th quarter to yesterday so it could be pulled for build. i would hope that all dealers with a ylellow blaze order received the same call. but they may have needed to have an avalailable allocation to build in order for this to happen. not sure how every dealer handled it. just what happened to me.

MUSTANG – SIMS - Commodities will vary by dealer
On July 21 - Scheduling Unscheduled Allocation in Week 29
Paint Update
At this time estimates show that Kona Blue (L6) is available for Scheduling.
Final Yellow Blaze (NQ) orders are due on Thursday, July 21.
Navigation System Update
For GT 500, both stock and retail orders are eligible to schedule with the Electronics Pkg (58N--which includes a
navigation system).
Only Mustang retail orders with the Electronics Pkg (58N--which includes a navigation system) will be eligible to
schedule.
Final Mustang Orders with Yellow Blaze (NQ) Due Thursday, July 21, 2011
Last Day for spec changes & cancellations Thursday, July 21, 2011
REGIONAL CONTROLLED COMMODITIES:
* If underlined Commodities are allocated by SIMS to the Dealer level
None
It is recommended that you only be concerned with the following Plant & Labor or Supplier constraints if
they are showing on your preview reports as a reason for non-selection:
2 Door Convertible - BS-BH – (P8E, P8F, P8K)
5.0 Boss Less Laguna – OBDVR – (P8C w/ 500A)
5.0 Boss with Laguna – OBDVS – (P8C w/ 501A)
5.0 GT Engine – OBDVZ – (99F)
6 SPD Man Trans NAAO T56 - TR-VE – (44E)
All 8 Cylinder Gas Engines - EN-08 – (99S)
AM/FM Str/Cd/Clk/Navig System – IBAED – (58N)
Bodyside Accent Stripe – CJRAB – (46B)
Boss Package – AALJE – (558) – (standard on 500A and 501A)
FIA - Hood Scoop – FHQAB – (944, 945 & 946)
FIA - Pedestal Rear Spoiler – FIIAC- (Standard in California Special Package -- 402A) Included in
Accessory Packages 943, 944, & 945)
GT 5.0L – MTX Trans – OBC4S – (99F w/ 44X)
GT Version – Car - VS-AX – (P8C)
Kona Blue – PN3J9 – (L6)
Lava Red Metallic – PN4AJ - (UZ)
Lighting Package Level A - JBWAC – (standard on P8A or P8E w/200A, 201A, 202A & 203A; P8C or
P8F w/400A, 401A or 402A)
P215/65R17 BSW - D3KBE – (T3B)
P225/60R 17 A/S BSW – D3KGE – (T3G)
Manual Slide Sun Roof – CHAAB – (59G)
Rear View Camera-Fixed - J3KAB – (77C)
Red Candy – PN3K7 – U6
Shelby Over the Top Tape Stripe – OBCYJ – (Must use 46D [paint stripe delete] and 6X interior)
Shelby Version - VS-F5 – (P8J & P8K)
SVT Racing Stripes – CJRBA – (46S)
SYNC Media Gateway Module – IEVAB – (standard on P8A or P8E w/200A, 201A, 202A & 203A;
P8C or P8F w/400A, 401A or 402A)
Total Convertible/Glass Roof - OBC1R – (P8E, P8F, P8K and P8A, P8C & P8J w/59G)
Total Paint Stripe (non-OTT) - OBC14 – Bodyside Accent Stripe (46B) Standard on 201A & 101A.
SVT Racing Stripes (46S) Standard on 820A. Paint Stripe Appliques (46N) Standard 202A.
RS Accent Stripe (46R) Standard on 402A. Sport B/S Accent Stripe (46E) Included in SVT
Performance Package (67F).
Yellow Blaze 3 Coat – PN4A6 – (NQ)
V6 3.7L MTX Trans – OBC4T – (99M w/ 44X)

Sorry for the long post above but a link will not work as it is password protected by Ford. The original letter uses red to let you know what is important and the paint was red meaning it was important. this is the letter Ford sends dealers each week to let them know exactly what can be ordered and what might not be built for different reasons. it is pretty clear that Yellow Blaze needs to have a VIN by tomorrow for build in August or it will be missed.

there is usually only one person or possibly 2 who know this information in any dealership so don't hold it against salesperson or sales manager, they probably have no clue as to how this truly is communicated.

TMO Supporting Vendors