The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Yellow lettering on tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all,

I love the look of the yellow letter tires(continental/goodyear etc). Anybody know of some daily driver tires that have the yellow letters? Sorry for the annoying post - but having trouble finding the answer via google or "search" here. Thanks!

zzyzx

Steve
Based on my past experience, yellow is only used on non-DOT approved tires - racing slicks. It may in fact be required to differentiate the two. Not really sure.

BLAZN BOSS

goodyear sells some........for the nascar look..........I think the continetals are street legal.

Well, answered my own question. My tire guy called me back and said that most manufacturer's(if that's a word) actually spray paint them after production... he said to find the tire I want and then look online for a stencil to spray paint them... I guess that's one way haha! Thanks for the replies.

Do a little more research on the type of paint. Most paints won't stay on past your first drive. I dabbled with model paint, but it didn't work. I had been meaning to do some more research but got distracted with other things. I'm interested in what you might find out.

duplicolor had special paint pens for tires. haven't seen them for a while at parts stores, but their site seems to still list it.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/hotTires/

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Zquez said:
I've heard of durability issues from those as well.

I haven't used them on this car... but in the past (with the M3), we would color in the Hoosier name on the tires to show our support (and help with contingency). It would last longer than the tires :). Of course, we weren't curbing the car or running it through automatic car washes... so your mileage may vary :)

JScheier said:
I haven't used them on this car... but in the past (with the M3), we would color in the Hoosier name on the tires to show our support (and help with contingency). It would last longer than the tires :). Of course, we weren't curbing the car or running it through automatic car washes... so your mileage may vary :)

Maybe its all in the prep (like most paint jobs). Most of the reviews on Amazon were crap and said they didn't work or didn't last. Perhaps I'll try a set myself since they're so cheap.

I tried this once on tires for my previous DD. Looks great initially, then wore off way too quickly, considering the amount of effort and time. Maybe the effect lasts longer for inset regions rather then raised sections.

Fun to try once, but I have filed this in my "not worth it" category, for a DD. Maybe for a show car, though.... :- :- :-

via thumb power from my Pantech Discover

TMO Supporting Vendors