The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Yes, another tire question... NT01 vs NT555R II Extreme

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
2012-Boss said:
Rick,

I am planning on pulling the spring when I get the car back. I know you still had problems even after you got a new clutch until you pulled the spring. With the light pressure plate on a dual disk clutch, I can understand how the spring could cause an issue.

Steve,

Rev Auto charges $899 for their Stage 1 build. That gets you a rebuild with brass stop, shift pads, fully welded shift forks, and hand dressing / deburring of all gears and synchros. If there is any damage, the cost goes up from there. There shop is only a few miles from the I-95 and 695 interchange, so you wouldn't loose much more than 45 minutes on the way to Summit.

All I will need after I get my car back is a little Blowfish shifter magic.

Is there a link to Rev Auto?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am swapping my tranny now for one that Blowfish racing improved/rebuilt as we speak. Where can one get the bronze parts for rebuilding my original box?

Went ahead and ordered 4 Nitto 555r II tires. Will not recieve for a month or so.... Oh well

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mad Hatter said:
I am swapping my tranny now for one that Blowfish racing improved/rebuilt as we speak. Where can one get the bronze parts for rebuilding my original box?

Went ahead and ordered 4 Nitto 555r II tires. Will not recieve for a month or so.... Oh well

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The two sources I know of are Revolution Automotive in Maryland and Liberty Gear in Michigan. I suspect Rev Auto buys their parts from Liberty.

Revolution Automotive
443-231-5072
[email protected]

Liberty Gear
http://www.libertysgears.com/
[email protected]
313-278-4040

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ended up going with the Toyo R888 in 295/30-18 F and 305/35-18 R. Need to ru a DOT tire with Audi Club at Watkins Glen and got a good deal on the Toyos. NT-01 in 285/305 are on back order and I read sme positive reviews of the R888. Will see how they do.
Steve

How is the lifespan of the NT01 compared to take-off Contis? Just thinking of doing some math to see which is better long run. IF I can mount them myself. Otherwise Contis get very expensive having to pay for mounting more often.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
WinterSucks said:
How is the lifespan of the NT01 compared to take-off Contis? Just thinking of doing some math to see which is better long run. IF I can mount them myself. Otherwise Contis get very expensive having to pay for mounting more often.

This won't be a definitive answer but I had a set of NT01's that I put about 12 heat cycles on and they were still in good shape. I ended up selling them because they were staggered and I changed suspensions to go square. I have two sets of Conti GTRs each with eight cycles and they are still going strong. Not sure how much they had on them when I bought them from GT Racing bur for $100 a tire it's a good deal in my mind. Oh and for mounting there is a Big O tires next to where I work and they do them for $10 each. I just had both sets turned around to try and optimize wear.

Tucson302 said:
This won't be a definitive answer but I had a set of NT01's that I put about 12 heat cycles on and they were still in good shape. I ended up selling them because they were staggered and I changed suspensions to go square. I have two sets of Conti GTRs each with eight cycles and they are still going strong. Not sure how much they had on them when I bought them from GT Racing bur for $100 a tire it's a good deal in my mind. Oh and for mounting there is a Big O tires next to where I work and they do them for $10 each. I just had both sets turned around to try and optimize wear.

For $10 are they just mounted, or mounted and balanced? I have read that some people do not balance their race slicks for various reasons, but I have not gotten any first hand feedback from anyone that does this.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
2012-Boss said:
For $10 are they just mounted, or mounted and balanced? I have read that some people do not balance their race slicks for various reasons, but I have not gotten any first hand feedback from anyone that does this.

Just mounted I don't have them balanced and have yet to notice a difference

Good news: I've had NT01's on back-order since late March, they shipped today!

WinterSucks said:

My experience is that sticker Contis last about 12 sessions, NT01/NT555RII's up to 24, with the NT01's having a slight longevity and grip advantage over the 555RII's

Tulsa, OK
Black Boss said:
Good news: I've had NT01's on back-order since late March, they shipped today!

My experience is that sticker Contis last about 12 sessions, NT01/NT555RII's up to 24, with the NT01's having a slight longevity and grip advantage over the 555RII's

Only 12?? Man, that's hardly a weekend! :eek:

Hoping I get better life than that out of the set I just picked up. I can usually run a set of takeoff Pirellis up to 6ish days (30 HCs) so I'm hoping the sticker Contis last even longer.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel