The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Yes.It's another racing motor oil thread..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
I've been tracking my 2015 GT all year with 20w50 Motorcraft full syn. I feel like it did great, considering that
EVERY stinking event this year was 90+ degrees F. and my temps have been staying mid-normal on the idiot gauge.
I have a 2 day event coming up in a few weeks and the temp is going to be more like 70 F.
Since I can't find any Motorcraft 20w50 in my area, apparently there is a shortage, is this a good time to switch
to a lighter weight? Or should I just run a different brand of 20w50?

In the V6L
I've been tracking my 2015 GT all year with 20w50 Motorcraft full syn. I feel like it did great, considering that
EVERY stinking event this year was 90+ degrees F. and my temps have been staying mid-normal on the idiot gauge.
I have a 2 day event coming up in a few weeks and the temp is going to be more like 70 F.
Since I can't find any Motorcraft 20w50 in my area, apparently there is a shortage, is this a good time to switch
to a lighter weight? Or should I just run a different brand of 20w50?
Interesting - Motorcraft's website (https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Products/List?cid=70) doesn't list a 20W50. Are you sure it's not 5W50?
If it's 5W50, there are lots of options. I use Mobil 1 5W50 occasionally.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks , JAJ , my thoughts exactly , and like you I use Mobil 1 5-50W, the only difference is I use it almost exclusively. In fact I would have to suggest that a high number of folks use the 5-50W Mobil 1 since it is easy to acquire and often on Sale!! In fact if you just stick around on TMO , there is a good chance 12coboss will post the minute there is a big sale at NAPA or other companies.

Good stuff , ran it in most of my Vipers, Spec Miatas, Mustangs, etc., and have always been very satisfied.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Lucas Oil also makes a 5w-50 that meets Ford spec, according to OP Mustang's site (see sponsor list below). OPM looks to be out of their standard oil change kit for now. Nice thing about the Lucas oil is that you can get it in a 6 gallon box with spigot if you do frequent changes and/or have a large oil pan.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
That’s pretty cool. Considering my 9qt. Oil pan. I use OP mustang’s BG manual trans and rear dif fluid kit. Great Stuff.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
In case one is confusing OP with the Internet term, on TMO we are referring to long time Sponsor Optimum Performance ---good guy and he has been helping folks on here for a decade.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I think that's why Ford specified 5w-50 for the Boss - apparently the API has been reducing allowed phosphorus levels (related to ZDDP) in the SL -> SM -> SN specs due to auto manufacturers having to meet EPA requirements of increased emissions systems lifespan. But the low phosphorus levels required by API SN apply only to 0W-20 through 10W-30 viscosity lubricants, so the 40- and 50-weight oils are exempt from the ZDDP reductions.
List of phosphorus & zinc levels in Mobil 1 oils

Anecdotally, I saw mention that some "diesel" oils have higher ZDDP levels because they also have higher detergent levels - the increased detergents counteract the increased ZDDP so it ends up being a wash. YMMV, and it's always best to try to check the specs on the particular brand/line/weight oil you're using, if you can find it.

sfo
I have no clue if you are correct. I used heavier weight oil because on track my engine temp is higher. I don’t remember the actual stats anymore but a s550 at 60mph on freeway is xyz degrees and you can look up the viscosity oil curve of the oem recommended oil viscosity. That’s what Ford wants. So then know your track temp and source race oil viscospity to be near the same as the cruising oil At cruise temp.. that’s what I do and motors are perfect. MyS550 is a from new 2019. I don’t race with catchcans. Motor uses no oil. Level is same at end of weekend of racing

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Greenbrier, TN
since I’ve opened this can of worms..I’m an outdoor power equipment dealer and our Kawasaki and Briggs & Stratton engines are still the old school solid lifter cam motors. for that reason their oils claim to have a lot of ZDDP. I wonder if anyone has ever looked into where and what these oils are?

TMO Supporting Vendors