The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Yotah's Grabber Blue GT350 thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
One little thing I'm working on to improve the front aero on my car and reduce understeer. I'll have camber plates and lowering springs before the end of June and a complete track alignment done on the car so I can assess better if I need extra aero or not.

But anyway, work in process :)

I have SLA prototype parts done within a couple of months, and if they fit properly, I'll create molds from them to produce carbon fiber canards as a final part.

image03.jpgimage04.jpgimage05.jpg

Nice work. Did you create the design?

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Yes. i used the GT4 canards as inspiration but they're made of aluminium and extend extremely far forward, not so much to my tast (and probably to some HPDE organizers) so I decided to make my own as I have access to a CAD model of the car. This is only my first go with the design, I want to refine it and make it a little bit smoother and nicer before I print the prototypes.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Back from my second trackday with the Mustang. There is some good, there was some "less good"...

IMG_3314.JPG

We drove to Grattan Raceway this sunday for the High-G Racing trackday. At 210$ for 7 x 20' of tracktime, I was expecting something rather dodgy and low key ... I was very wrong! It was all chinese students from MSU with loads of cash, insane cars, and proper driving! Point-bys were allowed everywhere, as long as you weren't dive-bombing on the brakes on someone. So it made for some very nice sessions, lots of fun, some very good battles and epic passenger rides for my friends. Really happy about the day.

The bad was very simple : my camera's microphone wasn't in the best spot ever and got too much wind noise, so the videos sound like s**t ... and the nearest petrol station was 6 miles out, which meant refueling every 3 sessions (gas guzzler much??? lol) was getting tricky as we had to cross the track between sessions to get out of the paddock. With the organizers being perfect on the session timing, and following their schedule to the minute, it was the trickiest part of the day actually :p

The session were fun, although my girlfriend didn't enjoy her first ride in the Shelby at all. First time on track in the GT350 for her with me at the wheel, first time at Grattan for us (learning the track), and a slippery track in the morning and all help disconnected, it made for some very "interesting" moments, which she didn't like at all... It all went better during her second passenger ride later in the day, she got used to the car, its power, grip and overall behavior, and by the end of the day she was begging for more :). So was the car actually ahahah

We did our 7 sessions, no big issues, no overheating or anything, no brake fading (everyone else was having brake issues at one point or another, and my buddy in the R56 Cooper S in the back of that picture completely ran out of brakes at session 6! sketchy moment...). It was my first time there, my first time with those guys but we'll go again, lots of fun, some "Nurburgring-like" feeling on the track with lots of off-camber corners, blind apexes, banked corners, a jump or two...

I'll try to put together a "best of" video but will have to find some 80's techno music to make your ears bleed a little bit less than the windnoise I got on the cam :(
I also filmed my feet with a second GoPro, hopefully this will come out interesting!

I ended up clocking my best lap at 1'28"4 which seems to be pretty decent but I don't have much to compare to ...

The Shelby, as I said, behaved really well, but I have a clear list of upgrades coming to it before the next trackday. WR 4 point cage, a pair of harnesses, and Steeda camber plates are must-haves to properly make the most out of the current setup. I'll get rid of the rear seats and carpeting in the process.

Now I just have to figure out if I need anything on the IRS system to get to the camber setup I want, or if it's possible to get there with the stock parts.
The PSS tires held up pretty well, they have another couple of trackdays in them I would say, and then I'll probably switch to NT05 square fitment.
Brake pads will need to be replaced after the next 2 trackdays also ...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@yotah1 you should check out 3Balls Racing events near you. Some of the guys that founded/run the group are Ford employees as well. Very laid-back run groups.

I have the following suspension mods to my track pack.
Front:
Vorshlag camber plates.
Eibach sway bar.
Self made sway bar mounts with delrin bushing.
Cortex end links.
Cortex mono ball control arm bearings.
GT350R springs.
Forgeline GA1R open lugs and 305/30 sport cup 2.

Rear:
Eibach sway bar.
Self made sway bar mounts with delrin bushings.
Cortex end links.
GT350R springs.
Ford performance IRS aluminum cradle bushings
Ford performance differential aluminum/delrin bushings.
Ford performance toe bearings.
Cortex mono ball control arm bearings.
Self made adjustable toe links.
Self made vertical links.
Self modified stock camber links with delrin bushing and bronze liner.
Forgeline GA1R open lug with 305/30 sport cup 2.

Front alignment is
- 2.5 camber
-1/8" toe

Rear alignment is
-2 camber
1/8 toe

I think I can squeeze more out of the rear camber. My rear camber links are stock center to center length. My only mods to them are a delrin bushing with bronze liner.
Steeda makes both adjustable and non adjustable rear camber links.
I myself do not like or trust their adjustable rear camber links, they use four 1/4" screws to hold the adjuster socket into the aluminum arm and two of those four screws are only 1/4" threaded into the aluminum. This makes no sense because the holes are drilled and tapped 1" deep. But even if you used a 1" long screw I still do not trust the aluminum screw hole that's holding the threaded socket in place.
The non adjustable links they offer are nice with a delrin bushing on one end and a bearing on the other. Basically same as what I did. These are stock length.
I also do not trust their adjustable camber adjusters. Problem I see with those are you are relying on a 11 or 12mm bolt to lock the camber link into place except with their design you just added another 6 layers of metal to clamp in place and still using the same diameter bolt. I knew there wouldn't be enough clamping force on that bolt and sure enough they failed. Two friends tried them with no luck.
0d524846ac8c361ee91844d8971aa7b0.jpgd644b333ba92e54656053fc6ae89fb61.jpg4c16488d103806f16f57a6dde808d7c0.jpg4c68664399ead833561cd414e237a2b7.jpg2e1a13f7125746cf4a2fa846fd1e158f.jpged1a7b8d4a2d37c29036682d24eb69fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Can you get to the Ford Performance advised camber values for track alignment on the rear without having to swap the control arms and all that? Is the adjusting bolt on the top giving enough range of adjustment? How about toe (on a non-dropped ride height car) ?

I'm not going as far as you for now with all the bushings and everything but it's in my plans for the long term on the car. My euro track car is fully solid bushings and the feeling of it is so crisp, I love it :)

Yes you can get to the R alignment settings with a completely stock car.
My car is not lowered other then from the 30 series tires. The R springs do not lower the car. If it does it's very very minimal 1/8 at most.
You also have plenty of toe adjustment in the rear as a stock factory suspension.
You and I are practically neighbors. I'm also in Michigan, Erie ( south of monroe ) north of Toledo Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Thx for the info. I'll order my camber plates next month and wil dial in a proper track alignment from there.

Yep you're not very far, maybe we can meet up at a Cars and Coffee some day :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel