The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Final-Best-Times-Sunday-Road-Course-03909.JPG

Gary, looks like you shaved another 1.27" off your time.

What a great weekend! A big thanks go to Gary, Todd, George and Casey. The hospitality they showed everyone was amazing. From the Bacardi Bus tour of the track to the awards Sunday night, everyone was having a great time.

Gary showed us what "flat out" was all about. He was flying around that track. Great driving!

I came much closer to "carving the wood" than I thought I would but didn't quite make it. I plan on changing that next year. 8)

We had one great group of Boss owners which made the event all that much better. :)

98RedGT said:
Sorry could not make it. My BOSS was delivered today so had to be there to get all the photos and drool over it. :D
Well you have plenty of time to get ready for next year's event ;D Hope you're enjoying your new Boss!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Finally got some video that edited without choppiness. Session 1 on Sunday morning, Group 2. They made me go out first... so a real clear look at Motorsports Park Hastings from the dash of a 2012 Boss 302 running a square (18x9.5) setup with 285x35 Hankook RS-3s and Vorshlag camber plates

Enjoy

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
Finally got some video that edited without choppiness. Session 1 on Sunday morning, Group 2. They made me go out first... so a real clear look at Motorsports Park Hastings from the dash of a 2012 Boss 302 running a square (18x9.5) setup with 285x35 Hankook RS-3s and Vorshlag camber plates

Enjoy

In for later, when I can listen with SOUND!

JScheier said:

Enjoy
Good stuff John! Way to lead the fleet in the CO! :D I like the way you short shift 3-4 right before the apex at 7. I've been experimenting and there's not a great place before, at or after that apex, but I think where you were hitting it is the best option. If you look at the power band on the dyno charts I've seen, I think you're still in the sweet spot even shifting at 6-6500 there. You take a different line through 9/10 and 12 than I do. I think I'll experiment with those this Saturday when I go back down there for my last track day of the year.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
Good stuff John! Way to lead the fleet in the CO! :D I like the way you short shift 3-4 right before the apex at 7. I've been experimenting and there's not a great place before, at or after that apex, but I think where you were hitting it is the best option. If you look at the power band on the dyno charts I've seen, I think you're still in the sweet spot even shifting at 6-6500 there.

A lot of that is left over from the M3. After watching the video about 100 times, I can see several places where I'm fighting the car to run 'the line'... which was the line I ran in the M3. 600 more lbs, 200 more HP and less grip just doesn't quite work that way ;). I still had to slow way down for 3 as front tire grip wasn't there and the car just felt really loose going through.

You take a different line through 9/10 and 12 than I do. I think I'll experiment with those this Saturday when I go back down there for my last track day of the year.

:D 12 was an issue as I kept running out of grip... kept creeping up the curbing so I could have more run-off on the other side.

cloud9 said:
JScheier said:
Good stuff John! Way to lead the fleet in the CO! :D I like the way you short shift 3-4 right before the apex at 7. I've been experimenting and there's not a great place before, at or after that apex, but I think where you were hitting it is the best option. If you look at the power band on the dyno charts I've seen, I think you're still in the sweet spot even shifting at 6-6500 there. You take a different line through 9/10 and 12 than I do. I think I'll experiment with those this Saturday when I go back down there for my last track day of the year.

Aahhh, what a fun weekend. So no video of when you started behind me?

There are a couple of places that I took a little different line. I took more of a late apex on turn 2 in hopes that it would create a little more speed going down that long straight. I also short shift 7 because of the reasons you stated. I also do a little different line through the 9/10 combination. I think I track out further coming off 9 which creates a late apex on 10. That seemed to get me a easier entry on the left going into 11.

I wish we could have done more lead/follow sessions but they just never seemed to work out.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Dean#4AI said:
Aahhh, what a fun weekend. So no video of when you started behind me?

Nope... but I got great footage of lunch ;)

There are a couple of places that I took a little different line. I took more of a late apex on turn 2 in hopes that it would create a little more speed going down that long straight. I also short shift 7 because of the reasons you stated. I also do a little different line through the 9/10 combination. I think I track out further coming off 9 which creates a late apex on 10. That seemed to get me a easier entry on the left going into 11.

Yeah... There were two places that I swear I could not late apex if you tied a million dollar bill in front of my face... that's one of them (3 is the other)

I wish we could have done more lead/follow sessions but they just never seemed to work out.

Next time, don't let me jack-around before grid and get all befuddled. I think I changed shock settings and forgot to turn off everything the first session I went out behind you. ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
A lot of that is left over from the M3. After watching the video about 100 times, I can see several places where I'm fighting the car to run 'the line'... which was the line I ran in the M3. 600 more lbs, 200 more HP and less grip just doesn't quite work that way ;). I still had to slow way down for 3 as front tire grip wasn't there and the car just felt really loose going through.

Might help to adjust your strategy if you think of the M3 as more of a "momentum" car (at least compared to the Mustang).

ArizonaGT said:
Oh man...I gotta get out there sometime to keep the Race Red Reputation from getting tarnished further...
Caravan with John G! Better yet, rent a double trailer and he could probably pull it with his F-250 :D Or just throw your track tires in his trailer and Smokey & The Bandit it through the Rockies! ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaGT said:
Might help to adjust your strategy if you think of the M3 as more of a "momentum" car (at least compared to the Mustang).

Old habits are hard to break. 10 years in the M3... from a 'power' car (240hp) to a momentum car (240hp) in a single decade ;)

No to worry though... sort out some issues and I'll be on it again in the spring.

TMO Supporting Vendors