The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your Boss 302 Top Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Since I live in Germany I have had a lot of experience with the Boss at high speeds. The only mod you need to make to the car is installing hood pins. The corners of the hood start to float up pretty bad at 155mph. I think 170 would be close to the Boss' top speed as I can hit 155mph with ease and the car is very stable. Does anyone know the speed at which we would hit the limiter in 6th? I wish we could raise the rev limiter to 7600 or 7700 without voiding the warranty.

The speed limiter is set for 155 in any gear. I believe it's set to the digital speedo available on the car and not the analog gauge. I can bring up speed on my Aeroforce gauge on my 2012.

Jimmy Pribble said:
salt_2-600x398.jpg

At Bonneville Salt Flats when I drove out to the Boss Track Attack. 156.8 mph at 7493 rpm in 5th gear, says the AiM Solo DL.

Jimmy
So it looks like there's a bit of "overrrun" from the factory 155 limiter ;D

NFSBOSS said:
Jimmy was that on the salt flats or going to them?

That was on the salt flats. I did it one-handed. ;)

Here is the indicated view. Looks like an indicated 158 or 159. At that speed range, not much "bragging" going on by Ford. Pretty accurate speedometer.

topspeed.jpg

Jimmy

Jimmy Pribble said:
NFSBOSS said:

Here is the indicated view. Looks like an indicated 158 or 159. At that speed range, not much "bragging" going on by Ford. Pretty accurate speedometer.

Jimmy
Love the one-hander 8) My speedo reads 3-4 mph high at highway speeds relative to my 5mhz GPS. I wonder which one is off. ??? I've had my speedometer at just over 160 so maybe it does go that fast.

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"
My best so far was up to 144-145 a couple times at Miller Motorsport Park this last summer. Was running with a Boss 302S and he was hitting 150+ at the end of a 3500+ foot straight.

Jimmy Pribble said:
NFSBOSS said:

topspeed.jpg

Jimmy

Jimmy, one-handed, NICE! I take it your liking the SOLO? That is on my Christmas short list. My best was an indicated 158 on the limiter in 5th with iPhone Harry's Laptime showing 156. We so need to make a TWS event in 2013.
Later Chris

rpm3dinc said:
OK, so what is SOLO? You said "I take it your like the SOLO?" What's that?

It was the data acquisition box pictured in one of my photos in this thread. I love the Solo, Chris. I personally think it is the best bang-for-buck DAQ unit out there now. I hope Santa hooks you up. ;)

My review is here: http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/2012/12/review-aim-solo-dl/.

Jimmy

P.S. Yes, we really need to get to TWS next year. Let's stay in touch on that.

145ish on back straight at VIR - was the first time I had the GT (yes, a modded GT, not a Boss) on the track...so she could have kept going but I kept chickening out before the hill.

According to TrackMaster I hit 142 before the Bus Stop at the Glen...but I only did that once...I think that was the time I actually went into 6th (I almost redline in 5th at that straight, 18" wheels) and got scared and went through the bus stop faster than I had before.

Here's a couple of screen shots of a ecxel spreedsheet I setup for our cars, let's you play with different tire wheel combs, gears, etc. if you want a copy PM me a request and I'll email you a copy.

PirelliPZeroMax.jpg

NittoNT01.jpg

TireFitment.jpg

Same here. I sent a PM as well. Very nice Excel work!! If you send it, I might try super-imposing the dyno torque and HP data to get a good visual.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel