The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your First Boss 302 Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BossFred said:
I will a CAI and a tune.

I think it will be interesting once a tuner gets hold of the trackey tune to play with. I expect that in the Ford setup there are many changes that aftermarket tuners can't or don't know how to access (abs, traction control, steering, basically all of the vehicle dynamics stuff). We all know that the aftermarket can gain alot of horsepower that Ford has left on the table and I think the combination of the two will be pretty dramatic.

It has also come to my attention that Ford wanted to certify the Boss at 8000 rpm but didn't for whatever reason (probably the extreme durability testing requirements). As most tuners are setting up the GTs to run 7500 rpm and the Boss has stronger internals, this will be another area that should make for a big performance increase.

It will be exciting to see it all transpire.

SCT - limited tuning for all of those features

HP Tuners - going to be the key to getting it working well

Im curious to those tuning one with FI how will the compensate for the track key... Its being discussed with some tuners now but its going to take someone to sacrifice their car haha I doubt anyone will blow one up, but I forsee both keys having the same "tune" when all is said and done for ease of tuning. It would be badass to make the 1st key a street tune and the other a race tune, but someone will put the wrong key in and blow their car up.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Flushing out the stock brake fluid for ATE Super Blue...then pulling the attenuator plates out of the side pipes.

If you consider either of those "mods". ;D

And of course, TrackKey.

The only items I would consider are the brake cooling ducts and something to mount 3-pt harnesses for the front seats.

I would purchase the Trackey tune for added spice to the base driving experience.

Beyond that, this dude would need to take some serious driving lessons to take advantage of the capabilities engineered into the standard Boss. I would hate to wad up my nice new car in wheel-to-wheel competition. I need a sponsor :)

The beauty of this tuned Mustang is that it offers an excellent platform in a street car that is capable of taking to it to a track. I will be most curious to see how more experienced drivers rate the LS capabilities.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Swapping out the stock headlight bulbs for aftermarket HIDs is also a must...I can live with the extra 2lbs in ballasts for the illumination at night.

Mark said:
BossFred said:
I will a CAI and a tune.

I think it will be interesting once a tuner gets hold of the trackey tune to play with. I expect that in the Ford setup there are many changes that aftermarket tuners can't or don't know how to access (abs, traction control, steering, basically all of the vehicle dynamics stuff). We all know that the aftermarket can gain alot of horsepower that Ford has left on the table and I think the combination of the two will be pretty dramatic.

It has also come to my attention that Ford wanted to certify the Boss at 8000 rpm but didn't for whatever reason (probably the extreme durability testing requirements). As most tuners are setting up the GTs to run 7500 rpm and the Boss has stronger internals, this will be another area that should make for a big performance increase.

It will be exciting to see it all transpire.

Very interested in this. The question I'll have is the safety of running an 8k RPM redline on the track. You know some tuners will do it for dyno charts and to sell tunes, but who's going to run it 25 minute sessions in 90F heat for a few weekends to make sure it doesn't pop? Would be nice to know what the Ford engineers know on this one. I'd love to slap on a CAI and tune allowing that kind of rev limit, but I don't want to be the guinea pig :)

Mark said:
so what to do for mods? How about:

This

S19zUnz_bdxb0FtfK_0Ix6PxozvJ9mmeL2lMfER4CqzKip1IUG.jpg
Anyone with some Photoshop skills that can put those BBS wheels on a Competition Orange/Black car? I think those are the track wheels I'm going to buy, but I really love the look of the black factory wheels. I'm just not sure how the platinum will look.

I think those wheels would look good on any Mustang, they are one of my favorites. You can also get these wheels and they are 19's. And I bet these are less expensive than the BBS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150509807936&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

5 DOT 0 said:
I think those wheels would look good on any Mustang, they are one of my favorites. You can also get these wheels and they are 19's. And I bet these are less expensive than the BBS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150509807936&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
You're probably right they will look good. I'd just be interested in seeing them before I pull the trigger. Any idea what the GT500 track wheels weigh? The BBS are 20 lbs which is pretty light especially at that price. I'm really looking for 18s for the track. The $500 I'd save on the wheels would be up in smoke in the higher tire cost after my first few track days lol.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Those wheels look killer on the GT500 SVTPP, but good luck finding any real r-comp tire for them, since they are 19s. Not to mention any tire you find will be $250+ more expensive per set than the same size in an 18" fitment.

You want track wheels for real track tires? Get 18s.

Well here's some interesting info on a custom tune. These guys are just a few miles from me.

http://www.advancedenginedevelopment.com/contactus.html

Here's a thread where they got as good as numbers as I've seen on a 2011 5.0.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/739478-2011-gt-5-0-aed-tuned-437hp-424tq.html#post10261778

And another.

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=036386;p=

looking in that thread you posted from svt:

422 rwhp SAE corrected with just an offf-road x pipe, axel back exhaust and tune. The poster then came back and said that it was done on stock timing and 91 octane! WOW.

I can't wait to see what the Boss will make when tuned up.

I emailed one tuner who said he can probably set it up so the track key tunes are modifieable and still function. Since there are so many parameters to the track tune that Ford has set up, it makes sense to modify that tune.

We need some guys to get their cars so we can find out! I just know I'm going to be a guinea pig even though I promised myself I'd be patient........

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=407&parent=121

44hp and 52tq with an intake and tune on a standard 5.0. I can't wait to see what they can get out of the Boss motor.

TMO Supporting Vendors