The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your First Boss 302 Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
Fays2 Watts link on the way :)

add to that drop spindals and rear lowing springs that match the factory rate. Get the car down where it should be but with basically all the factory suspension settings and geometry.

How about the 302S wheels? Anyone have a link to them on the FRPP website? I can't seem to find anything from the Boss there.

Boss-302-Sidewheels302s2.png

Mark said:
cloud9 said:

add to that drop spindals and rear lowing springs that match the factory rate. Get the car down where it should be but with basically all the factory suspension settings and geometry.
Yea my guess is she's going to get lowered fairly early on. I'm going to at least track it once before going too far with the mods though.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
How about the 302S wheels? Anyone have a link to them on the FRPP website? I can't seem to find anything from the Boss there.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/duffinator1/Mustang/Boss-302-Sidewheels302s.png?t=1292981020[/ig]
[/quote]

They would look good, but they're 19s.

Would much rather have a set of 302R wheels.

Mark said:
cloud9 said:

Yea, I've been talking with Sam Strano and we're going to see how the factory springs/dampers work on the track first before deciding on changing them. I am sure I'll lower it from where it sits now, but need to figure out if it will just be springs or springs and dampers, in which case would need to decide if I would go to adjustable coilovers.

Depending on the spring rate and dampening maybe a drop spindal and then a shorter spring in the rear. This would maintain the factory setup and give a more appropriate ride height.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
I wonder how Ford lowered the Boss 302S?

Double-Adjustable Coilovers, if it's anything like the FR500S or FR500C/302R.

cloud9 said:
I'm not familiar with a drop spindal. Linky?

there are several although some appear to be geared toward an SLA setup. Here are the ones I know of:

racecraft
cortex racing
griggs

the racecraft are for the stock suspension and there is a big thread on corner carvers about them and an early reported failure but I think the part was re-engineered? Buyer beware but IF the part is made properly it would seem to be a great option. Stock geometry but lower. I think that all of these are a 2" drop which might get a little low with the Boss's shorter spring.

I'm confused about the Trackey. Seems like I read that it does not come with the Trackey and that this would be an after purchase option. Does the car come with the Trackey or not and you just have to get the dealer to download the software? Anyone hear of the price yet? I'm interested in this mod and the dump valve for the exhaust.

1BadBoss said:
I'm confused about the Trackey. Seems like I read that it does not come with the Trackey and that this would be an after purchase option. Does the car come with the Trackey or not and you just have to get the dealer to download the software? Anyone hear of the price yet? I'm interested in this mod and the dump valve for the exhaust.

the prevailing speculation is that of the two keys you are given at delivery, one is red. After purchase you pay for and have the dealer load the trackey tune onto the red key. Price for this is not yet known but shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks.

Mark said:
1BadBoss said:

After purchase you pay for and have the dealer load the trackey tune onto the red key.
Actually Ford developed a dual path PCM which allows it to hold two different tunes and they are activated by the particular key that is put in the ignition. So your dealer will either download the track tune onto the PCM, or there is speculation that it could be latent on the PCM already and the dealer will simply unlock it.

I'm interested in the dump valves as well if it's too loud to run on the street without the discs. Until some peole get their cars we won't know if they are necessary. Someone did find that there is back pressure from the discs that will provide some gains with them removed/opened.

cloud9 said:
I'm interested in the dump valves as well if it's too loud to run on the street without the discs. Until some people get their cars we won't know if they are necessary. Someone did find that there is back pressure from the discs that will provide some gains with them removed/opened.
And that same someone said the car is too loud for the street without the discs installed. ;) We should be hearing a lot more around Feb. 21st when the Boss media event is scheduled.

See the first post in this thread for more on the attenuation discs.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/regarding-the-side-exhaust/

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
I'm interested in the dump valves as well if it's too loud to run on the street without the discs. Until some people get their cars we won't know if they are necessary. Someone did find that there is back pressure from the discs that will provide some gains with them removed/opened.
And that same someone said the car is too loud for the street without the discs installed. ;) We should be hearing a lot more around Feb. 21st when the Boss media event is scheduled.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/regarding-the-side-exhaust/
I was referring back to this post #21:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/boss-exhaust-pics-impressions-sj-auto-show-490566/index2/

I didn't see anything about the noise level being unacceptable though. I don't think we'll know for sure until we get them, and see what the after-market offers for opening it up. I definitely don't plan on putting the car on a lift to get them out every time i go to the track. If I had a lift at home, it wouldn't be a big deal.

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:

Tell me more about this Feb. 21th Boss media event that scheduled. What will they be talking about, anybody know?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel