The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your First Boss 302 Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012Boss said:
Just got the same mats yesterday, for $38 from CJ I could not pass them up. Nice quality for half the price ;D
Are the mats thicker than the Boss 302 mats?

cloud9 said:
The Corsa Extremes went on yesterday. Man they sound good ;D It moved most of the sound from the side pipes to the rear of the car so obviously there was still a lot of back pressure from the stock mufflers. Cut about 30 lbs of weight as well.
This is very valuable feedback - especially about the backpressure reduction. Are we suspecting the stock mufflers are standard GT mufflers then?

If you get a chance, please post clips so we can judge the sound. I imagine there will be variations among all the key aftermarket brands - Corsa, Flowmaster, Roush, Borla etc. What made you pick the Corsas?

GA
2012Boss said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Just got the same mats yesterday, for $38 from CJ I could not pass them up. Nice quality for half the price ;D

It makes you wonder if it is cheaper to get the Boss without the Recaros and Torsen, and then go buy the Recaros and Torsen diff from Ford Racing and have them installed.

cloud9 said:
The Corsa Extremes went on yesterday. Man they sound good ;D It moved most of the sound from the side pipes to the rear of the car so obviously there was still a lot of back pressure from the stock mufflers. Cut about 30 lbs of weight as well.
How do the Corsa Extremes sound at idle and under low load? I have a set of the Corsa Sports that I removed from my GT that are going on the Boss tomorrow. They were quiet at idle and low load but bark pretty good when you get on it. Also they had no drone at all. This was on the GT of course. I can't wait to hear them on the Boss with the baffles removed.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
We had a Detroit Tru-Trac installed in our race car last year, parts, fluids, and labor came to just about $1k. The T2 is a couple hundred bucks more expensive.

The seats themselves are probably worth $1500 alone.

I'd say the package installed from the factory is really a killer deal at $1995.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
It makes you wonder if it is cheaper to get the Boss without the Recaros and Torsen, and then go buy the Recaros and Torsen diff from Ford Racing and have them installed.
It's a lot cheaper to order the R/T package with the car.

Makes sense. I tell people who say I can take a base GT and mod it for less that by the time you add it all up you will end up spending more. And you won't have a full warranty.

GotCurvz said:
cloud9 said:
How do the Corsa Extremes sound at idle and under low load? I have a set of the Corsa Sports that I removed from my GT that are going on the Boss tomorrow. They were quiet at idle and low load but bark pretty good when you get on it. Also they had no drone at all. This was on the GT of course. I can't wait to hear them on the Boss with the baffles removed.
Pretty quiet until you get on it. I'd say they come alive around 3500 rpms.

The mats look about the same thickness but are heavier. I like the backing better but do have to admit the Ford mats as light as they are do not slide around. I was just hoping for $80 they would have been designed nicer, like matching the seats which I really like. The downside to the Ford Racing mats is they are a darker black, not charcoal black.

The Torsen/Recaro option is cheaper to get but if you added after would still have the extra seats and traction lock. I am not sure I would ever use them so I would have expensive parts rotting in the attic, lol. It is cheaper getting the cover and mats after but you lose the cool factor of having them on the sticker.

GA
2012Boss said:
The mats look about the same thickness but are heavier. I like the backing better but do have to admit the Ford mats as light as they are do not slide around. I was just hoping for $80 they would have been designed nicer, like matching the seats which I really like. The downside to the Ford Racing mats is they are a darker black, not charcoal black.

The Torsen/Recaro option is cheaper to get but if you added after would still have the extra seats and traction lock. I am not sure I would ever use them so I would have expensive parts rotting in the attic, lol. It is cheaper getting the cover and mats after but you lose the cool factor of having them on the sticker.

Lloyds mats are the best and don't cost that much. Mine are thick with a nice backing and have stood up to wear. My cheap stock mats are still in the bag.

PJWANNABE said:
Lloyds mats are the best and don't cost that much. Mine are thick with a nice backing and have stood up to wear. My cheap stock mats are still in the bag.
I contacted Lloyds and communicted with their VP. Ford won't let them use the Boss 302 logo so they won't be making any Boss 302 mats. :'( That's why I ordered the FR mats.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
I contacted Lloyds and communicted with their VP. Ford won't let them use the Boss 302 logo so they won't be making any Boss 302 mats. :'( That's why I ordered the FR mats.

Yeah, we had the same problem getting mats with the Bullitt logo for the same reason. Crosshairs was a way around that, but I prefer the Llyods black mats with the silver running pony. I wouldn't want Boss 302 everywhere the same way I didn't want Bullitt everywhere either.

Well just need to contact the company in China that made the "Boss 302" patch and buy them direct for the Lloyd's mats. Then just iron on :D oh wait ..... that is what I did not like to begin with, nevermind ::)

cloud9 said:
Gary can I ask where you got your Corsas? From what I've seen these run about $700 a pair of axel backs. Also, when you say most of the sound now comes from these Corsas, do you mean the side exhaust is pretty much defeated?

jimprw said:
cloud9 said:
Gary can I ask where you got your Corsas? From what I've seen these run about $700 a pair of axel backs. Also, when you say most of the sound now comes from these Corsas, do you mean the side exhaust is pretty much defeated?
I got them from Autoanything.com They were running a special with $40 off and I paid $565 shipped. Looks like they are listing them at $622 right now with 10% off and no shipping on orders over $150. That would get you pretty close to what I paid.

First mods I did: remove the 3 Dealer stickers on my car. Seriously, one on the trunk lid, one on the back window, and one on the windshield. And then I removed the fake chrome plastic dealer license plate frame. I saw the car within 3 hrs of it being delivered to the dealer, and they'd already stickered it. Uggh...

MNG_BOSS302 said:
My only mod so far is a K&N panel filter. Will wait for track key before much else.
Did it make a noticeable difference? I'm assuming when you say panel you mean drop in? I was also going to wait for the Track key before installing a CAI and doing much of anything.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel