The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your First Boss 302 Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I thought I'd be the first one to start a mod thread. ;D Since we have plenty of time until our cars arrive planning our first mods will help us get through the winter.

I'm sure most of us will run down to the dealer as soon as the track key program is available but other than that I'm probably not going to do much else to the drive train. But I'm sure with the 302R and 302S there will be plenty of trickle down engine mods available by the time the cars hit the streets.

Cosmetically I'll tint the windows immediately and possibly have the machined finish on the rims polished out smooth. I think that will look nice on the darker Kona blue I've ordered. One thing I don't like about the regular Boss is the wimpy rear spoiler. I will probably add a GT500 rear spoiler and I've been thinking about the TruCarbon one. If I do this I'll probably leave it CF and not paint it. Below is a photo of one on a Kona blue car and I photo shopped the stripes out of the photo. What do you think?

Do you have any mods you're planning?

http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_Mustang_Carbon_Fiber_GT500_Spoiler_p/tc10025-dca42kr.htm

15_trucarbon_gt500_photoshop.jpg

Vince said:
Is TracKey considered a mod?
Sure but I already mentioned that. ;)

I'm not in love with the police cruiser white roof and if I do anything I'll paint it blue. But I'll wait until I've owned it for several months to make that decision.

As for the exhaust I suspect it will be plenty loud with the plates installed. In the documentary they mentioned it was barely street legal as delivered so it should be loud. It will be interesting to see what, if any, power increase there is from removing the restrictor plates.

Tommy, what wheels are you thinking about, how about a link?

Any thoughts on the CF GT500 spoiler?

5 DOT 0 said:
Vince said:
Is TracKey considered a mod?
Sure but I already mentioned that. ;)

I'm not in love with the police cruiser white roof and if I do anything I'll paint it blue. But I'll wait until I've owned it for several months to make that decision.

As for the exhaust I suspect it will be plenty loud with the plates installed. In the documentary they mentioned it was barely street legal as delivered so it should be loud. It will be interesting to see what, if any, power increase there is from removing the restrictor plates.

Tommy, what wheels are you thinking about, how about a link?

Any thoughts on the CF GT500 spoiler?

I'm voting that it's not a mod.....Ford makes it, warranties it, gives most of it to you upfront (the key and pcm that will accept multiple tunes), and wanted it to be on the car at delivery = not a mod, lol.

As to the GT500 spoiler? I would throw the LS spoiler on as it is tuned for use with the splitter you will be purchasing but it may look cool when you get your black roof done. I wonder how difficult it would be to do a carbon roof to match the carbon spoiler? Might not be very cost effective but could look cool and save weight.

Mark said:
As to the GT500 spoiler? I would throw the LS spoiler on as it is tuned for use with the splitter you will be purchasing but it may look cool when you get your black roof done. I wonder how difficult it would be to do a carbon roof to match the carbon spoiler? Might not be very cost effective but could look cool and save weight.
The LS spoiler has different mounting holes than the GT and GT500 spoilers so that's problematic. While I really like the look of the pedestal spoiler, it's the same as the one on the California Special, I'm not wild about it's construction with the black plastic on the bottom. It will be the GT500 spoiler but still undecided on CF or OEM painted. I'll paint the spoiler blue if I paint it. This is purely a cosmetic mod.

Anyone else planning some mods?

~840 per wheel - typical TF, CCW, ect. pricing

Typical 3pc weight. Nothing super light, but strong enough for daily driving.

Just tired of seeing everyone go with the same wheels over and over again, there are so many other options out there.

Look at Savini Forged, some very cool designs.

5 DOT 0 said:
I like this one. No chrome though.

http://superbuytires.com/Savini%20Forged/SV%202/?finish=Chrome

Anyone else besides me think it's odd for Ford not to put 10" wide wheels on the rear of the Boss? They use 10's on the LS and GT500. Was it strictly a cost savings move or was there some other reason?

I doubt it had to do with cost as the wheels are unique to the car, I imagine it just wasn't necessary and would alter the balance as delivered. The LS has a different setup altogether and should have alot more grip in the front...they were probably trying to balance that. I imagine the GT500s has more to do with straight line grip and the look of the fat tires in the back.

I'm trying to get my car lined up in the next couple days and it's for a Jan build so I would have it mid-March in time for the first April track events. The mods I plan to have here when the car arrives are as follows:

Brake cooling kit (Is the LS available from FRPP?)
Steel braided brake lines
Brembo LCF 600 fluid (not really a mod :))
Hawk DTC 70/60 pads
Adj caster/camber plates to get -2 to -2.5 degrees camber (Does J&M or someone else make them for the 5.0 already?)
Either my current Enkei PF01 wheels (10.5 rear, 9.5 front) or their equivalent in black.

After I get a good feel for the car on the track to see how it really performs, I'll explore:

LS Front splitter along with rear spoiler (need both to for the aero to work I think)
DBA 5000 2-piece front rotors kryo treated
Other suspension mods? (I Hhope not needed)
Eelectric dump valves for side exhaust (Who has more info on this? Sounds like Ford implies they are already available aftermarket - FRPP?)

cloud9 said:
Steel braided brake lines

Eelectric dump valves for side exhaust (Who has more info on this? Sounds like Ford implies they are already available aftermarket - FRPP?)
The Boss has upgraded brake lines, will steel braided lines make much of a difference?

I'm not familiar with dump valves in this type of application, can you explain how it is used and how it improves performance?

so what to do for mods? How about:

This

S19zUnz_bdxb0FtfK_0Ix6PxozvJ9mmeL2lMfER4CqzKip1IUG.jpg

and this:

TELbCDrTxBQWMb91TP12Z4ojuP0PN_iGAR1NQYuPbU839CbA7B.jpg

ok, kidding on the ITBs....well, they do look pretty.

TMO Supporting Vendors