The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your Oil selection?...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its more of a logistics issue. Im in Canada, and I cant get 5W-50 off the shelf unless I go to the dealer and pay an arm and a leg for Mobil 1. Yes, they dont even use Motorcraft oil for oil changes. I was trying to find an alternative.

One of the service reps at my dealer said any full syn 5w-50 oil will suffice. He did mention to use the manual specified Motorcraft oil filter. (Probably Ford selling Ford!)

sadil said:
Its more of a logistics issue. Im in Canada, and I cant get 5W-50 off the shelf unless I go to the dealer and pay an arm and a leg for Mobil 1. Yes, they dont even use Motorcraft oil for oil changes. I was trying to find an alternative.

How much is the dealer charging for Mobil1?
Curious to know - Canadantire doesn't sell it? (I'm in Canada as well).
I get Redline from my local Garage, but not sure if it "meets ford spec". IMO it exceeds it for my uses (but I understand the warranty topic described above).

I do oil changes at home, and each change costs 100 if not more in parts/oil alone.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Why rely on internet truths / lies / rumors?

Use an oil analysis lab and find out how your oil is performing, in your car, under your driving conditions:

Blackstone Labs

I send in an analysis on all of my vehicles each time I do a change. My diesel is now at 13k mile intervals due to the lab results. GTI is on 9k intervals and the Boss is on 2k intervals (although I still change it more often... mainly because it is either a) sitting in the garage or b) on the track and it makes me feel comfortable).

What oil do I use:

Jeep: Total Quartz INEO MC3 - 5W-30 Synthetic
GTI: EuroSpec Castrol Syntec 0W30
Boss: Castrol Syntec 5w50

Thanks for the replies. I looked and couldn't find any M1 5w50. And I mainly use the car as a DD, and as much as I want to track it...there are no tracks close enough to me. So I'm not worried about that aspect of the oil choice/ specialty brand. But I was a bit alarmed at the cost of MC 5w50 found online at my usual sites ($15-19/Qt). But I did find a good deal at a local dealer and so it'll be MC till proven otherwise. Thanks again.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Shaun12 said:
Thanks for the replies. I looked and couldn't find any M1 5w50. And I mainly use the car as a DD, and as much as I want to track it...there are no tracks close enough to me. So I'm not worried about that aspect of the oil choice/ specialty brand. But I was a bit alarmed at the cost of MC 5w50 found online at my usual sites ($15-19/Qt). But I did find a good deal at a local dealer and so it'll be MC till proven otherwise. Thanks again.
napa carries it you have to ask them for it and they will bring it in from the warehouse

Mobil 1 straight from Ford in Canada, even the SVT dealers use Mobil 1 as they have been getting the mobil 1 instead of motorcraft directly from ford when they order 5w50

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Ordered a 24 pack of 5w50 Motor craft from K-mansparts $9.79 with shipping per quart. Will have it Sat. Think that's a good deal about the same as Castrol syntec. I'm on the west coast, east coast people will see a lower shipping cost as K-man is back east.

Two area dealers have the MC 5w-50 for $9.90/qt. I wasn't thrilled with that price, but after seeing some of the prices in this thread I guess it isn't too bad.

Running Redline 5W50 currently. Took advantage of the NAPA sale last month and bought two cases of M1 5W50... that's what'll go in at next oil change (along w/ an FR 820S filter).

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
why dont you guys just wait for an oil sale like napa has every other month when its 5.99 a qt and stock up then? I did over a year ago and still have one more oil changes worth left before I run out. I got a deal on a three pack of the k&n gold oil filters to go with it online at the same time.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Get mine done at the dealers Quick Lane. MC 5/50. They hold classes at the dealer on Sync n give you a key chain tag for 50% off oil changes for life of the vehicle. Final cost $55 each change n I chat with the tech while he does the work, car never leaves my sight. Give him a tip n he cleans everything in that area while cars in the air.

Fomoco302 said:
Get mine done at the dealers Quick Lane. MC 5/50. They hold classes at the dealer on Sync n give you a key chain tag for 50% off oil changes for life of the vehicle. Final cost $55 each change n I chat with the tech while he does the work, car never leaves my sight. Give him a tip n he cleans everything in that area while cars in the air.

This guys's a pimp (complementary) :)

I just spent $75 just on oil... I'll try it your way next time! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel