The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Your Oil selection?...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I know MC5w50 is what ford says to put into it. But I hear about "shear" and what not is pretty bad with MC. I also hear that its better for your cats. I have always put M1 5w20 in GT and was thinking about putting M1 5w50 into the Boss. So what do you guys use?

M1 5W50 is apparently a true synth Group4 oil. So that is a good choice.
My car sees track time, so I use Redline 5w50. Highly tollerant to shear, and also has higher % of ZDDP additive for protection against wear (but not as good for the cats).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I used Motorcraft 5W50 exclusively until the price jacked up to $15/quart.

Now I just run the Castrol Syntec 5W50 for $8/quart. As often as I change my oil, it won't be in there long anyways.

cobra said:
How about Motorcraft 5w 50w full synthetic.

Motorcraft 5w50 synth shears to a 40 grade within 1000 miles of street driving.
I'll have to dig up the thread, but a fellow Mustang owner did a lot of detailed UOA comparing different oils, and the Motorcraft was one of the worst.

boro92 said:
Motorcraft 5w50 synth shears to a 40 grade within 1000 miles of street driving.
I'll have to dig up the thread, but a fellow Mustang owner did a lot of detailed UOA comparing different oils, and the Motorcraft was one of the worst.

I hope you find the thread, I am interested in the comparison.

681 LS said:
I hope you find the thread, I am interested in the comparison.

Is the thread on the SVT forum what you were talking about? He ended up concluding Amsoil 10W-40 performed better than the MC 5W-50 since the MC shears very quickly. I don't see a reason to have the cold value so low since I only run in summer, anyways. 10 should be low enough, 5 just means they have to add the long chain polymers to get that number low and still be 50 at the high temp, and those will just shear and you end up sacrificing the high temp range anyways.

WinterSucks said:
Is the thread on the SVT forum what you were talking about? He ended up concluding Amsoil 10W-40 performed better than the MC 5W-50 since the MC shears very quickly. I don't see a reason to have the cold value so low since I only run in summer, anyways. 10 should be low enough, 5 just means they have to add the long chain polymers to get that number low and still be 50 at the high temp, and those will just shear and you end up sacrificing the high temp range anyways.

That's exactly the thread!

Found it: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/805918-official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.html

Thanks for stating SVT forum. That really helped me locate it back!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
oh the great "oil debate"

I run Mobil 1 and i have ran castrol syntech. I get the mobil 1 when its on sale at napa for 5.99 a quart and just stock up.

I would run what ever is the cheapest they are all very very good oils IMO.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Switched my stock oil to M1 5w50 after 400 miles. Got it on sale at NAPA as well and will probably test it next time I change oil. Will probably see what is on sale next time I need an oil change and use that.

I use Amsoil SS 10w30 on the street. For road course track, I ran Amsoil 10w40. UnleashedBeast on the svtperformance forum is an oil guru and I have learned alot from his posts

So Ford's oil shears to a 5W40 @ 1,000 miles? Does Mobil 1 do that?

Unleashed Beast gives a lot of information but he is at the end of the day a Amsoil distributor. I just wish there was someone else with as much knowledge as him so they could validate or argue against, not that I am taking away anything from Unleashed Beast, but you guys know what I mean.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
My view point on this is, what if? If you track the car what if you blow the motor ? You (we) have a warranty for 5 years . You take the car with a blown motor into the dealer they do a oil sample test. Your warranty claim is denied due to using a non spec oil. Sure the car will run just fine with about any oil you put in it. That's not the point. The final decision is do you want to risk your warranty, some will some wont. I think as time goes by more brands will get the Ford spec.
For me, whatever oil I use will meet the Ford specs and I will keep a record of all oil changes , receipts, noting oil used, filter and mileage.
So the question becomes what oils meet the spec at this time and where can we get them at the lowest cost.

Looks like Quaker state has stepped up, I haven't been able to find this as it was just released. Its not their old 5w50.
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007513242_201302211621.pdf

Here is a awesome price on Motor craft
http://k-mansparts.com/items/ford-gt/motorcraft-5w-50-full-synthetic-motor-oil-xo-5w50-qgt-quart-xo-5w50-qgt-detail.htm

I'm not sure if this is old stock or the new, have a call into them but have not heard back.
https://www.theoilhub.com/QuakState_Ult_Dur_SAE_5W50_Full_Syn_Mot_Oil

TMO Supporting Vendors