The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Yuck.. This is the part I always dread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
The day / days after a track event is something I don't particularly look forward to, though I do admit that I enjoy it sometimes. Besides unpacking the car, I'm looking at a full day to put the car up on jack stands, change out the track pads for the street pads, perform possible oil and other fluid changes, check torque on suspension components, and do a general overall inspection. Then it's off the jack stands and on to the garage floor to reset front camber and do my trusty 4-wheel string alignment.

After that it's time to clean the brake dust off the track wheels and clean up the car. I like to keep my car looking nice and this alone can take a few hours. The inside of the car gets dusty as well (desert southwest) from having to drive with the windows down. Who hasn't driven through a dust devil at Buttonwillow or caught the dust cloud from someone going off track and then received a fine layer of dust evenly laced all over your interior? Plus, I'm busy removing all the black rubber marks from almost everywhere.

But what takes the cake is a day spent at Willow Springs that included migrating butterflies and lots of oil dry through turns 1 and 2 from a couple of cars that decided to deposit their insides on the outside.

Yuck......

20190401_124625.jpg20190401_124722.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Come on out to Hastings for the Mustang Roundup and slip off turn3 at 90 mph. You will go home with your car masquerading as a John Deere Tractor , as bales of alfalfa hay get in the grill , interior , underside ,etc. ! Yep, running off course there means you are one fast farmer, cultivating more than just driving skills, ha!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Yep, spent the afternoon yesterday just cleaning her up and getting the brake pads changed out. Alignment is next, though I may hold off since I have another event coming up in a couple of weeks. The front street tires seem to wearing OK despite the 400 mile plus round trips on -3 degrees camber.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I love Willow Springs but yeah, I still find dust from there years later.

Had four off at NJMP and it took months for all the grass and mud to work its way out from the wheel wells.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am telling you guys, coming to the Mustang Roundup in Hastings, Ne. is a must , since going off track there is eco friendly. Yeh, you still have to clean up your car, but when finished you will have collected enough Alfalfa to feed two or three of the local farmers cattle. What a giving steward of the Earth you can be through a minor slide of your track life?!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel